1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Starting and stoping of a fan.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r4tch3t, 30 Dec 2007.

1. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Quick question, is it OK for a fan to constantly start and stop?

I have a Zalman CNPS7500-AlCu and have te motherboard keepthe CPU at 51 C (lowest possible in the BIOS) It never gets to this temperature anyway but the fan is constantly starting and stopping. Is this OK for the fan?

2. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

I'm not sure, but the fan is your CPU cooler, that would concern myself.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Its the Q fan from my motherboard, its doing it on purpose, I may end up disconnecting it completely if I can find a way around the CPU FAN FAIL WARNING

Ninja edit, my PSU has a Fan sense wire coming out of it. If its not good for the fan I will just plug that in and have a passive CPU cooler.

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

not great for the fan, but fans are cheap.

there should be an option in your bios to turn off the warning. in mine it's under the boot tab, i think it's called "halt on:" and the options are "all errors" "keyboard and mouse only" or "no errors".

you should also be able to just disable q-fan. that would be the best solution. you probably don't want to run your CPU passive

5. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

you mean burning out the fan? IMHO, no problem.

even if you hook up the variable resistor unit to control fan speed... ehm, i don't see that as a problem as well 'cause the voltage and current is well controlled on the board and psu.

generally well made fans are able to withstand much more punishing than start-stop.

my system always has Q Fan disabled. some bios can disable fan failure warning...

just use another fan from the casing with 3 pins and plug into the cpu socket, and switch on CPU overheat shutdown.

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

One problem with using different fans, its a Zalman sink and replacing it is not quite a 2 minute job. I will have a look in the BIOS to turn the warning off and will keep an eye on temperatures when I unplug the fan.
    I have only just turned Q fan on to quieten it down as it is not ina case and its right next to me. If all else fails I will just build a 5V circuit for it (with a 12Vboost for start up)

7. leakyfaucet

leakyfaucet Hey! I own a dremel!

Starting and stopping is less stress on the bearings than constantly running. This applies to any bearing.

The electric motor in the fan is not going to be any more stressed by starting and stopping than it would be by constantly running. You have nothing to worry about.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

do we know why the fan is starting and stopping? there must be a reason for it.

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The voltage is dropping too low for the fan to keep spinning, the voltage is still there (when the cable is unplugged the fan steps back a bit)

Tags: