1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News State of Lousiana forced to pay ESA $91,000

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 17 Apr 2007.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

<spelling nazi>i do believe it's spelled "Louisiana" not "Lousiana" ...</spelling nazi>

I'm glad I don't live there.. first the hurricane, and now this :-/

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Was this the law where he wanted Game rating to be upheld by a law?

If so then why the hell wasn't it passed? Guidance ratings are all well and good when the parents give a **** but as soon as that stops they're pointless.

I've always been in favour of that aspects of Jacks work, I think it's a shame that no-one else it.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

<editing nazi>Was the figure $91k or $92k? You've got both in the article</editing nazi>

I'm also amazed at why (a) the ESA would oppose this bill; (b) why it wasn't passed; and (c) why the taxpayer then has to pay the tab.

This is the one part of Jack's work that's right, it's all the other bull plop that annoys me (like jumping on the Virginia shooting bandwagon).

5. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

so when is the Jack Thompson video game going to come out?

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The actual figure is a bit hard to find out. Kotaku says its 91,000, while other sites say its 92,000. Gamespot reckons its more like 145,000. Its just a matter of who you trust...

7. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Wasn't there already one? A platform shooter with someone crying all the time?

Why oh why did this ever get to court? Ratings enforcement is something that should be put into legislation by the government, not dragged through the courts. The government already has laws enforcing the sale of adult rated material to minors - this should just be an extension of that.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

In the UK I think that a solid ratings law for games would probably be a good idea too, to be honest. The problem is getting a body of educated people familiar enough with the content to do it and discussing exactly what constitutes a 15 or and 18 etc - how extra content and fan mods etc would affect this and doing it all without crushing Britains computer game development scene.

9. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Yes there was. It can be found here. (http://67.15.42.30/ImOK/)

On topic: Just like movie ratings, and adult oriented materials, there are laws that enforce ratings. You need an adult present to see an R rated movie if you are under 17. Would it really be that hard to put a law on the books that would force an adult to be the purchaser of the game?

If I grab a movie like 300 (when it hits selves) they'll be required to check my ID. I want a pack of smokes? Flash the ID proving i'm over 17. 12 pack of beer to go with it? Another ID check for proving I'm 21+. Fancy a dirty mag to make the evening complete? Another instance of age verification. Why oh why is it when I want to get a game like FEAR or some other rather violent material, all I need is the cash and I'm on my way. The only card presented is credit based.

Something needs to be done, that's for sure, but when Jack T opens his mouth everyone is inundated with bias and lies. I have no respect for the man, but his message has merit. It's a damn shame his jackassery gums up the gears of progress.

Tags: Add Tags