1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Stealth Computer launches fanless mini

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. jezmck

jezmck Well-Known Member

could they not have made it wider (same as a regular under-TV DVD player) to add a Blue-ray drive?

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

That thing is rediculously overpriced.

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Zero noise is absolute overkill for a Media Center anyway. You'd watch movies on it, or listen to music. A few slow spinning 120mm fans won't be noticed.

5. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

One 120mm or even a 140mm at low RPM settings right on top in the middle with air vents on the sides would be fine for something like this!

£1k+ is rediculous - although sods law says that they'll actually sell quite a few of them to the embedded market, thus making it commercially viable and hence considered a "success" and therefore they won't see this as "overpriced" so something that could blatantly come down in price significantly never will...

6. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

90watts is insane for power draw.
    Heck my backup PC with a few HDDs and full ATX board + graphics card takes up 100watts max. (per kill-a-watt meter) :jawdrop:

7. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

I agree --and overpowered. My completely passively cooled HFX Mini HTPC runs a 2.4Ghz Core Duo CPU, 1 Gb RAM and 1Tb of HDD and uses no more than two-thirds of the power: 60 Watts instead of 90 Watts. And it cost me about £500,-- to build.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Thirded on both the price and power usage. Complete overkill, completely overpriced.

Don't agree with the reason behind the serial port though - it's probably there for automation purposes rather than digital signage. Most AV kit is controllable through RS232 (Sky HD boxes even have serial, although it's only one-way comms) - the ability to turn all other kit when using the HTPC.

9. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

build Log???

10. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Power consumption seems a little high for laptop parts, VeryPC offer similar, albeit fan-cooled products for less, and they are a UK company.

11. Otto69

Otto69 New Member

Don't complain about the 90 watts. You can heat your room while watching TV! It's GREEN!

12. Otto69

Otto69 New Member

Keep in mind also that modern TVs use a buttload of power: my 50" plasma uses 218-400 watts. Others including LCD use even more.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

jezmck likes this.
  14. cebla

cebla New Member

The other thing to keep in mind is that it probably only uses 90 Watts at peak load. At idle it probably uses less.

15. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Why build a noiseless HD playback device anyways? When I am watching movies (or TV) on the 40" LCD I have the external speakers turned on. They do more than enough to cover the sound of any device that would have fans running. Ok, so if the movie goes completely silent for a moment, would I really notice the fans over the central air or the pump on my aquarium?? Likely not.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

very cool looking but no where near worth it

17. Joeymac

Joeymac New Member

Nah they don't. I have a 40 inch LCD and it draws about 100 watts, half what the spec sheet says. The rated power draw is when the backlight is maxed out... which is just silly. In a darker room it only needs to be 20 or 30%.. in a bright room you still wouldn't have to go past 50%. I don't have a plasma so I don't know if you can cut down the power on those.

Tags: Add Tags