1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Stealthing Drives (Or my attempt at it anyway)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Otacon, 23 Mar 2005.

1. Otacon

Otacon New Member

Ok I figured its about time I actually had a go at some of the stuff you lot do after years of reading it. Also apologies now for the pics as I took them with my 6230 phone which I know is a major no no when it comes to pics but it's all I've got sorry. Quite frankly I'm nervous enough about posting this up never mind supplying sub-par pictures.

For my first attempt at anything like this I figured I'd start on something that looked relativly simple like ghosting the optical drives.

When I look at my case all is well untill you open the door and the beige drives scream out at you.

[​IMG]

First problem (of many I assure you) is that the Xaser III uses drive rails so just setting the drive back further into the case is not an option here, so the fronts of the drives are gonna have to come off to make room. The drive bay covers themselves are made of pretty cheep plastic and have quite a thick edge on them. It's going to have to be a nice thin surface to fit in the space I have available.

[​IMG]

So on with the sanding down of the edges of the drive bays. After about 20 minutes of me sanding and next to no progress to show for it except a very sore arm my younger brother asks me what I was doing. Needless to say he is a bit of a god with warhammer models and he said he could get the edge of my drive bays no probelem. This was the result 30 seconds later with a small set of metal cutters.

[​IMG]

Now apart from hating his guts right then due to the 20 mins I had wasted I was very greatful and finished the drive bay covers myself. Some cutting and a little fine sanding later we have the end result. Now isn't that a much nicer cover to work with.

[​IMG]

Now for putting the cover onto the optical drives tray except for one little problem I forgot. The volue controll and the line-out connector stick out to far and are in the way. 10 seconds later with those metal cutters (handy things those) and the drive cover now sits nice and flush. I don't use the line-out an d volume anyway.

[​IMG]

That was one drive done so I did it all over again for the other drive with relative ease this time and there we have it. Both optical drives now hidden from view. Much better looking.

[​IMG]

Right now both drive covers are stuck on with blu-tac and I'm using kind of layers of velcro to help trigger the eject switch when you push the corner of the drive bay cover. Hope the pic shows it better than I can explain. I know this isn't the best solution and I'm trying to think of something else but I'd really still like to be able to take the drive cover off to access the emergency eject.

[​IMG]

So that was my first mod so to speak. Lots of fun, couple of issues which I got round although being helped by my younger brother is one I'm unfortunatly not going to forget anytime soon. Somehow I don't think he'll let me forget it either.

The most annoying thing about the whole experiance though had nothing to do with the mod itsself. I managed to rip the power connector for the x-view panel above my optical drives when I was puting the dvd drive back in so its backlight won't work now. Gonna try and fix it but I think its dead. I get the feeling that it's something I should get used to if I continue down this modding path.

Please comment on the good and bad as I'd like to know how to improve it. Mainly suggestions for sticking the drive cover to the disk tray and the eject button would be appreciated. Ive seen relocated eject buttons done elsewhere on the forums by my soldering skills are... well I don't know I've never done it.

So one final before and after and if I do say so I'm quite happy with the results :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Mar 2005
  2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Looks a lot better than before (beige...nasty) and welcome to the forums!

heh don't be nervous about posting, just don't go down the spamming route. :D :thumb:

3. tater salad

tater salad New Member

i agree, expecialy the spamming thing. about the buttons i dont know any other way than to resodder them.

4. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

This is a new term for me. Ghosting? I thought what you did was stelth your drives. Ghosting a drive usualy involves software if im not mistaken....

Anyways Good job and try to do more stuff and show us. And the pics are fine for now but try to invest in a decent 2megapixel camera at least.

5. SJH

SJH Active Member

It's such a simple mod yet makes so much difference, don't you think? Should have thought of that before buying a slot-loading drive though :duh:

6. Otacon

Otacon New Member

Erm ghosting... stealthing... I dunno. Stealthing is what I normally call it myself.. guess that what i get for posting while tired. I've changed the thread title to Stealthing so I hope that dosn't confuse to many people.

The bottom drive is a cd burner and I plan on getting a dvd burner soon so it might a good choice to experiment with soldering on to relocate the eject button.

If I do have a go at it (although it's now probably more of a when than if) I'll make sure to get a better camera. Cheers.

7. Xaser03

Xaser03 New Member

cool GOOD job