1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Steam bending plywood

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hugo.B, 11 Jul 2007.

1. command-tab

command-tab New Member

You could also soak the plywood in the bathtub for a day, then bend it. The less wide it is, the easier it will bend (especially when it's soaked).

2. Skulldragger

Skulldragger New Member

Use thin strips of wood that are thin enough to bend and glue them together like plywood is after you bend them. (Seen this on "This Old House" some time back. It seemed to work great for him!)

3. woof82

woof82 New Member

I made something that required bent wood once. Probably the best way to do it is by using "flexy-ply" which is very thin plywood, and extremely flexible. I got an old car tyre, and put one peice down over the tyre, covered it in glue, then put down another peice, then covered that in glue etc. until I had a bunch of layers all with a layer of glue between them, then I just used ratchet straps to hold it tight around the wheel while it dried.

4. Moondog

Moondog New Member

I have one of those old curved plywood chairs, and my guess is that they formed it by bending several thin sheets of wood first instead or bending an existing board. Either that, or they have a large press and form it with heat and pressure.

5. Mactyrant

Mactyrant Money, what's money?

I've studied a little bit of guitar building and you're going to want to use solid wood for this. Try using pine it cheap and should bend easily. Also, as far as I know the proper equipment for bending wood is expensive so a better option might be using miter joints and sanding over the edges. If done right it will look almost the same as bent wood but it's A LOT easier to do. If you're not satisfied with the look of the sanded down miter joints you can always apply veneer. However veneer can be a little tricky to apply.

Also, moondog they probably started with solid plywood. I went on a factory tour of the Gibson guitar factory and they have huge machines that can stamp, bend, and mold wood in mere seconds. Going layer by layer would be very expensive and labor intensive.

6. Moondog

Moondog New Member

The logic behind my thinking came after watching a longbow being made from laminate materials. The strips of wood and fiberglas were assembled and bonded at the time they were put in the mold of form, not before. This allowed for each piece to expand or contract independently before the epoxy locked in the final shape.

7. Hugo.B

Hugo.B New Member

Thanks for all the contributions, I've settled for a mitred approach, and will post pics/project log soon.