1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Steam Deck

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 16 Jul 2021.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Minimodder

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If I can stream stuff to it from my PC, it does kind of appeal for pottering around the house.

If it can do save state stuff, then that might also make it an interesting buy to me.

But it's not a 'must buy' thing for me right now.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Same, not a must-buy. Probably wait for second hand to use as in-house streaming if the screen is nice. I can't imagine 8 CU (20% of 6700xt CU at half clock rage, so ~10% performance of 6700xt) is going to age well as solo gaming device.

Actually, the 64GB devices looks like it's destined to be a mostly streaming device. But I do wonder if I can buy the 64GB version and add my own 1 or 2TB NVMe drive. That'd be a £450 1TB device, better than their £560 0.5TB.

I have already got a bluetooth game controller + phone holder to do in-house streaming. It was also readily achievable through nVidia Shield handheld. So the bigger screen and better ergonomic would be the features I'm interested in.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It might turn out to be an emulation beast, which is more interesting to me than playing CS GO on the err... go.

I wonder how commited/well thought out/supported this will be. Valve OS, Steam Machines and the Steam Controller were all commercial disasters and Valve showed no interest in hauling them out of the pit they threw them in. With this I wouldn't consider it for at least a year to see if it's a product with a future or not.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its basically a open ended mobile pc, emulation machine, mobile media machine, gaming, do what you like with it.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I want one. Not until they are established and available though. CBA pre ordering, I will wait until they are in stock.

7. Byron C

Byron C Over-reacting and over-analysing since 1982

I've reserved my spot. Took me an absolute age because the infrastructure Valve spun up for this launch got absolutely thwacked, but I got there in the end. Going for the top-end 512GB model, because why not. I already wanted an Aya Neo or a GPD Win 3 and the Steam Deck spanks the pair of them in terms of price. Battery life could be dicey though, "between 2 and 8 hours" is a very wide estimate!

Aside from the microSD card slot, the storage is apparently not upgradeable on any model. I don't know whether that means 'not upgradeable' as in 'if you take it apart you'll void your warranty so don't do that mmm'kay', or 'not upgradeable' as in 'it's soldered down so no chance mate'.

I'm pretty confident in saying that this will be an emulation beast :grin:.

As @Gunsmith also mentioned, even if Valve drop this hardware project like they've dropped every other hardware project except VR then at least it won't be locked down to proprietary software.