1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Steam games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bulldogjeff, 31 Jul 2011.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Real quicky for you guys. I'm about to convert to PC gaming from the Xbox. I'm just downloading from steam right now so where are my games stored on the PC or on line? The reason being I want to create a games folder and store everything there.

The first few games I've bought have all been on disc so I know where they go on my PC.

Just purchased Grid my favorite game, will the graphics, game play etc be much better?

Thanks in advance guys:thumb:

2. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Steam stores games in the steamapps folder, but you need to download each on in your library.

Once you've done that you can back them up so you don't have to reinstall later.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Steam locates all its game files in a single folder in its directory, Steam itself takes up little room so you may as well bung the Steam folder into wherever you're putting your games.

Make sure you get a controller for Grid, it's horrific on the keyboard, especially using muscle cars. Not sure on how graphics compare to the console version, but there are mods available to improve the looks. I have a few on mine, one removes the yucky yellowish tint, another ups a few texture resolutions and another improves the car reflections. Unfortunately, the multiplayer server has been pulled so you have to use third party systems such as Gameranger which creates VPNs which a few of us have been playing on.

Welcome to proper gaming :lol:

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The graphics etc will be way better depending on your system.

The games you download will be stored in a folder on the PC but you will have to be logged into your steam account to play them.

You can delete them after you've played and they will still be in your steam account untill you want them again.

5. bulldogjeff

Thanks for that lads I think I get it now. So I'll still have to be connected to the interwebz to play.

I thought I'd give steam a try to see what it's all about.

I think I'll stick to just buying discs in future, at least I have full control over what goes where.

@ Evilmerc I've dabbled in the past but having an Xbox and PS3 I've not really bothered properly, even though for the last few years I've had rigs that would handle any game.

Think is I let my little one have the PS3 and the XBox is making noises that I don't really like, hense the swap over in gaming platforms.

I wish I knew about the server being unplugged before I hit the BUY button.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

even if its on disc, if it is a steamworks game, it will go into the steam folder.

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

This might make it a bit easier.

[​IMG]

Games you own, are in the list, installed games are selectable.
    you just click a game that's greyed out to download it again.

I'd get a downloadable copy where you can, you cannot loose it.

8. bulldogjeff

But I'll still be able to play it if my internet goes down if I have it on disc. So I think thats the way I'll stick to buying my game in future. Just means dragging my lazy are out of the house and off to GAME. I could send off for it I suppose.:lol:

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

You can still happily play games if your Internet goes down. Just whack steam into offline mode. Leave it that way if it's an intermittent connection. Because then all It needs is a brief period of internet connectivity to validate the account then it doesn't care. I use it often to get at Half-life 2 and the after 11PM.

10. bulldogjeff

Next question. Whats the best way to move the folder...Just drag it straight out of program files and dump it where I want it.

Feckin hell I sound like a total n00b...lol

11. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

With Steam? Uuuhm. How do you do that Redirect function-thingy under NTFS again?

But if you want to move your games: Steam/Steamapps/(Games are here)

Most games will be in the "Common" folder.

12. bulldogjeff

Normally if I want to move a folder, say downloads for example, I just drag it across or copy it to where I want it and redirect the path and delete the original. I suppose it would work the same way.

If it doesn't my next thread on here will be how do I get my games back....lol

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Google steam mover.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Congratulation on migrating from console PC. This is rare these days :thumb:

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You sure as hell won't be saying that when the sales come along.

Steam is an essential part of PC gaming, and it simplifies so much for you (patches, friends list, all your games in one place etc etc).

Why worry about where the games are being stored? And yes, offline mode works well, I used to use it all the time!

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

No, the disc is just worthless install media to replace the download. Once you activate the game it's on your steam account like one you bought in their store.

Also you need an internet connection to activate a Steamworks game, but after that you can play in offline mode.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
  17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

You'll be lucky to find PC games in GAME these days, unless your into games for toddlers and 8 yr old girls.

Am I the only one here who thinks moving game folders about more hassle than its worth?

Welcome to the PC gaming master race.
    [​IMG]

18. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Best decision you'll ever make when it comes to gaming.

1. Use steam mover to move games between your steam install and where ever you want them to be stored.

2.**** disks, there going the way of the dinosaur. I've bought a load of recent games on disk and since alot of them activate on steam the disks are there just to let you install without downloading.

3. Download all your games and back them up using the steam backup tool! This means you can just reinstall them when ever you want without having to re-download them all again. I have mine stored on a USB HDD and for my favourite games i've got them burned to a 25Gb Blu-ray disk.

Also look at other Digital download providers such as Gog.com. Go there and buy the witcher 2 NOW!

19. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

This Steam FAQ article covers the process.
    If you're talking about NTFS junction points, the SysInternals utility for them can be found here - that would be another way of doing things but probably harder for someone new to PCs.
    If control over your purchases is important, then avoid Steam (and Steamworks games) like the plague. Valve have complete control over any Steam purchases and can (and regularly do) disable accounts - see here, here, here or here for examples. The Steam EULA not only allows them to close your account for virtually any reason (section 5) but to charge your credit card as they please (subject to giving 30 days' notice, section 4B) and excludes liability should a security screwup at their end result in your system being infected with malware from a Steam update (section 9C) - more relevant nowadays given the recent fiasco with Sony's Playstation Network.

To be fair, similar issues exist with most other digital distributors (Impulse, GamersGate, Direct2Drive) with the exception of GOG who sell DRM-free games. As long as you keep a backup of whatever you download from GOG, you need never worry about that site closing (though GamersGate's DRM is apparently fairly easy to circumvent).

Edit: If you're quick you may be able to pick up GOG's Topware Promotion with 50% off 11 games (almost all at US$2.99) - see the last page of the Games Bargains thread for more details on this.
    Note that offline mode is limited (it won't work indefinitely) so can't protect against account termination.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
  20. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Ah, good old ext4 and symbolic links! I like Linux. Shame most games won't run properly under it. I almost got MW2 (crap, I know, but I was testing!) working, but only with TINY frame rates. TF2 kinda worked... there was a problem with pressing buttons though.

The only reason you would want to move the steamapps folder is to move Steam to an SSD. Windows hides all the C:\Paths\Stuff so you only focus on pressing download, then playing the game.

EDIT: Reminded by Digi - you might want to move Steam if the HDD is failing :p