1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam hacked, credit card info stolen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 19 Apr 2007.

1. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

I am pretty sure valve (STEAM) does CC payments on their own. IE they don't 3rd party that stuff.

This means that they would HAVE to keep all the information locked up somewhere be it for logs and for the transaction in the first place (though for one time transactions, they may not save anything once it gets passed through)

but the CC numbers are DEFINITELY stored for cybercafe accounts since its a recurring bill

I also hate how they say that the cybercafe accounts get EVERYTHING, because im looking at a cybercafe steam account right now, and i cant get access to half the games...

(some new ones arent showing up on the list, but when i go to purchase the game, it says i already own it... WTF?)

2. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

I don't know how you can talk about steam so negatively...

The concept is rock solid, and the current implementation of it is always evolving and getting better.

people bitch and moan about their games not working because they dont have the internet yadda yadda, but then you want companies to also lower the retail prices ???

Steam could be used to cut out the middle man completely, no boxes to make, no paper manuals to print, and no CDs to press. eventually it will allow for games to be cheaper.

Also, all of steams non MP games can be played without an internet connection, you just need to be able to connect ONCE to tell it you want to run these games in offline mode from now on...

I also think that this may already happen in the background when it detects that its offline.

3. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

4. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

I'll ignore these since they've been amply answered by others. :)
    Then quit whining. When you buy those games (whether from Steam or at retail) and play them through Steam, you're supporting Steam.
    I'm not sure what zndkwin's quote has to do with what I said. All that post said was "tell that to w bush", which was presumably meant to be funny.
    Indeed. Perhaps that was the ultimate end, eh? ;)

5. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

No, it wasn't meant to be funny. I was dead serious.

6. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

Any system that is capable of storing purchase history and credit card numbers like Steam is something that can be hacked. It's not a matter of if, but when. There are probably numerous other incidents that occur that they place a gag order on before we even hear about it.

Tags: Add Tags