1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Steam Link App for 2016/2017 Samsung UHD Smart TVs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Blogins, 1 Jul 2017.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

As sods law would have it, after unpacking my Steam Link and hooking it all up, they go and release an App for my Samsung TV!

Details...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/1353742967821054749/

I have a Samsung KU6400 which is at the budget end of the UHD range but the App works very well and compares favourably to the quality of the Steam Link Hardware. You'll need to change the settings of your TV to fool it into thinking it's American! Well worth giving it a go though and hopefully this App will be rolled out to all regions following the Beta. So I can get back my iPlayer and other catch up Apps once I turn the TV native again!

The KU range supports Bluetooth controllers and I've linked my PS4 Pro controller to the TV which was a fairly painless process. Unfortunately the XBOX S controller won't play ball at the moment with the KU6400.

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Particularly interesting is this: "For worldwide release later this summer, support for streaming 4K resolutions and additional controllers will be added."

The Steam Link itself only supports up to 1080p AFAIK, so these TVs will now go beyond the Steam Link spec :D

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The App has been updated with an option for 4K streaming!

Unfortunately it drops to my computers host monitor resolution of 2560 by 1440 displaying only a black screen as a result on the Samsung TV. Any suggestions how to tweak this so it'll stream at 4K?

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Managed to get 4K by creating a custom resolution on the host system and setting the desktop to 3840 by 2160. This gave a rubbish desktop image on the host computers monitor but allows a 4K stream even though it reports as 1920 by 1080 via the Steam Link App. Image quality was excellent but there was far too much lag rendering games unplayable.

Having said that the standard HD experience has improved as the Beta has developed. The original release had lots of sound distortion which has now gone. Also there was an occasional loss of frames of around 3%. I've turned off hardware decoding on the client side and now there appears to be no lost frames. All I want to see now is native support for the Xbox One S controller and I'll be one very happy bunny!

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Looks like the Steam Link App is now available in the UK for Samsung 2016/2017 UHD displays!

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Just downloaded it earlier today - It seems to work pretty well. My Television needed a software update to work with my Steam Controller.

7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Does it work with other controllers i.e. same as a physical Steam Link, or is it limited to Steam Controllers only?

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

You can link any controller via USB to the TV, although I don't know if there are any compatibility issues.

Otherwise I've linked my PS4 Dualshock controller via bluetooth and that works very well. Still a little bummed that the XBOX S controller won't link via bluetooth. I'll have to give it a go over USB I guess! Eager to try a 4K stream with this public release. Did bork it before by creating a custom 4k desktop resolution on the host machine which seemed to work. However it did force my computer to blue screen following my 4K test!