1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam not listed in Battlefield 3 release plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2011.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

2. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

+1 to the post above this. Steam is a community now, not just a place to buy games. If EA are not willing to elaborate on or quantify these so called restrictive measures Valve have brought in (that don't appear to restrict any other publisher or developer at all) then I have no alternative but to dismiss the claims as negative PR designed to impact upon a successful competitor and give their own service an unfair advantage.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Someone correct me, but EAs attempt at social network in BF3, the Battlelog, is restricted to BF3 only, right?
    If it is, it will function as a separate closed community. Will be a success initially because of all the hype surrounding the games release, once that wears of it will be for die-hard BF3 fans.

4. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

God I'm sick of EA, Ubi, Blizzard, and all these shenanigans.

Steam is the only DRM I've used that has worked well and ADDED something to the game.

Steam is easy to use, unintrusive and provides my gaming friends and chat capabilities.

Valve also gives away DLC for free, and barring TF2 hats, does not offer stupid pre order only exclusive DLC, or Platform exclusive DLC.

So, for crying out loud, STOP DOING STUPID THINGS LIKE THIS EA.

I'll still prolly buy BF3, but mostly out of support for DICE, not Electronic....Ahem,

-SPNKR

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Honestly have the people bitching about Origin even used it? I pre-ordered BF3 on it and even got a free game for testing. It was pretty damn simple

I do however get the "don't fix what isn't broken" aspect of this

6. greypilgers

Absolutely. I've got nothing against Origin. I don't want it to fold. I do have an issue with EA preventing the sale of games on Origins main (and some would argue only real) competitor. EA should be more focussed on running their own race, rather than trying to nobble the other horse...

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Did. Dont see the point on using it again. Still have to have Steam running for its social features and add non-Steam games to Steam.
    Its like Battle.net when played Starcraft 2. Stopped playing SC2 because of the imbalance in ZvP and the Steam popups in the corners.

8. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

@ The Beast

the only time i had to deal with origin was when i helped my brother to get NFS:Shift 2 working , i fixed the problem by downloading a crack...

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i wish EA would f*** off with the pos Origin already, forcing people to install it just to run a f***** game.

11. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Isn't that what Steam does to some of it's games anyway?

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yes. But with BF3 you will need Origin and Battlelog. Battlelog seems to be a browser based application and "Origin friends" arent carried to "Battlelog friends". So you end up using two "apps" and two lists of friends.

13. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

After playing around with the Alpha you will need Origin.
    You don't actually touch/use it.
    It all launches from your Battlelog in your chosen browser.

Steam have been at it for ages.
    If you don't like Origin you can't play the game.

More important things going on in the world than moaning about a small piece of software.

14. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

That can be annoying but who's to say it doesn't change over time.

I like your thinking

15. greypilgers

There are more important things going on in the world, but it's our ability to moan and talk about other, more inconsequential things, that help people in general deal with the bigger, more serious things...

:thumb:

16. Goethe

Goethe What's a Dremel?

What did you expect, that we would be discussing the cure for cancer? :cooldude:

Sucks having to install yet another download service, and even if you buy retail, you still have to use Origin to run the game, the same way Fallout New Vegas had to install Steam.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Tags: Add Tags