1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Steam OS (Downloadable now), Machines, Controller

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rici1241, 23 Sep 2013.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Maybe it will run on my OUYA!

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm sceptical it'll run on a pi, the CPU is a POS.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The feature I am really looking forward to is the streaming aspect.

Stream game from their existing army of gaming PC Steam installs and make the first living room invasion via budget boxes, attacking the competitions.

For SteamBox, remember whatever you build, the resulting cost will always be more expensive and less elegant than a machine optimised to do just one thing (think Linux philosophy). SteamBox Lite, built for Streaming, I'll be all over that.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

SteamBox will also be an all-in-one solution to people/families who don't already have HTPCs sitting under their living room TV.
    Small, quiet, and simple - plug in power and HDMI and off you go. Bluetooth contoller, as well as the ability to plug in USB devices for Mouse/Keyboard and extra storage.

Valve really dislikes Windows 8 - would there be a possibility of a big release with timed exclusivity to SteamOS to try to push people towards it?

5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Hell, you could probably run SteamOS on a Pi, just to do streaming from a PC Steam installation. The graphics chip in the Pi is certainly capable of performing well for streaming at 1080p (most TVs are this resolution), leaving the SteamBox as a console replacement for people that do not own a powerful PC.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

But Ethernet via USB on Pi certainly isn't capable of that :).

7. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The Pi wouldn't be able to run any Steam games natively, even if the whole OS and Steam client got ported to ARM.

8. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Well it is rated up to 100Mb, which is more than the majority of Internet connections at the moment, yet somehow OnLive managed to do streaming. Just since you are using a LAN, the latencies will be much lower, so even FPSs may be possible.

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

We were very excitedly discussing this in college this morning and I pondered the possibility of running it on a Pi, it's certainly something I would love to try!

We were all liking Valve an awful lot this morning. :D

10. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I guess streaming games would be like using remote desktop; Over a nice lan it's fine, on a saturated lan, it's not so good, and then down to wan where it becomes painful. I think anyone could manage to learn to compensate though in SP fps, but MP is all about the most recent information.

What we really wan to see now is Tripple As dev'ed straight for linux, I'll be dual booting my next rig for sure to play BF4 on Win' and Planetary Annihilation on linux.

11. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Not really sure about this, plenty of pc gamers will not want to buy a stream box. Big screen mode is still far from perfect also.

Plenty of issues to overcome that's for sure , not to mension the factors of the next gen console. Microsoft could easily say to devs want to be on Xboxone you gotta make your games windows only. Not many devs would be able to argue against that due to the financial issues many have faced.

Plenty that valve can do to change that. Personally don't think valve have the resources to turn into a hardware company, cost Microsoft 4bil+ to get the Xbox where it is, valve can't afford to lose that sort of cash.

Electricity concerns would remove it as a stream from own pc, same way Nvidias console has not set the world on fire.

13. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

The r pi would struggle to handle the streaming, I have had trouble streaming 1080p movies from NAS. USB interface wouldn't be up to it.

I'll be all over this for a machine to sit on my couch with and play on controller if it all pans out well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

That was something I thought about.

I would imagine most on here for example would rather build there own "steam box" and just use the free steam OS.

I'm sure there's huge potential in here somewhere, hopefully valve can tap it with the right product. It could very easily be a massive flop or a huge success.

I wonder if Sony and Microsoft are biting their fingernails waiting for this next announcement, :D

15. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Thing is; Valve will likely offer incentive to provide the ability for the games on Steam to run on the Linux based SteamOS, or they'll rely on the hopefully huge initial install base for SteamOS to be it's own incentive, further to that; I don't think any developer would really complain too much if SteamOS did become a mainstream thing, another box under the TV alongside the consoles, as anyone who is probably buying a Steambox likely isn't going to pirate, not with how awkward it would be if there's no true File Manager or similar on SteamOS. (Which would hopefully shoot the usual "OHNOEZ. WE NO LIKE-A DA PC FOR DA PIRACIEZ!" shout in the face.).

16. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

That's exactly Valve's goal. IIRC the so-called “Steambox” is just a term like “ultrabook”, different manufacturers will be allowed to make their own version and you'll be allowed to make one yourself.
    Valve will probably provide some hardware themselves (in cooperation with a manufacturer maybe) to get it off the ground, but the main thing they'll be promoting is SteamOS.

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Unless they are serious about entering the hardware meerkat.

18. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

Its Steam machines, "a multiple choice answer"

Also, look at the very last question, a hint of whet to expect to see Friday?:

Last edited: 25 Sep 2013
  19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

OMG, the third announcement means Valve has finally learnt how to count to 3.

HL3? :p

20. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I'd go along with that, valve has a history for stuff marketing. Looking at the sysmbols;

o
    [o ]
    [o+o]

Teh first o is the os software, the [ ] is hardware, leaving another software thingy.