1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Steambox, HTPC and work PC in one device. Possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystvearn, 2 Apr 2013.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I want to build a steam box that will connect to the TV. It will also double as a HTPC and work PC all in one. Is it possible?

Basically is it possible to build a Lenovo ideacentre A720 with discrete graphics card connected to the TV or some 30" PC monitor. As for sound, I will output it to my Hi-Fi Speakers.

Here is a graphical representation what I am trying to do:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/mystvearn/for sale/Capture_zpsf96a188f.png

Almost all of the games on my pc steam account is playable with a xbox 360 controller and most are local co-op games. I don't play FPS, but a keyboard and mouse will be necessary for browsing the web.

Is it possible to use the computer as work by connecting a second (and maybe third) monitor to it? I would like to have the work monitor in another room, but am not sure how to go about with the PC. Of course I would need USB ports on the work monitor, but should I put the Steambox with the work computer and pull a cable there to the TV/PC monitor or vice versa. If I put the steambox with the work monitor, then it is problematic to connect the xbox 360 wired controllers to the PC's usb ports. Or am I asking too much from one computer?

Suggestions on the steambox build? If the graphical setup is possible, then could you suggest parts for the steambox?

Also, since the PS3 has a bluray, is it possible to use the PS3's optical drive for the PC's optical drive? Maybe some sort of network sharing between PS3 and PC? That would make the steambox even smaller as I don't need to bother with an optical drive.

2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Monitors in another room, wireless kb and mouse, how long would the VGA cables need to be to get the monitors to the desk? I'd suggest making the cables from scratch, easier to route and good cable guaranteed. USB at the desk by using a USB3 hub maybe, dunno how long the cables will go, routed with the VGA cables so would need to be same length.

Just my initial thoughts blurted out!

More thoughts, how about instead of the remotes work space have a NAS type device on/under desk maybe a little more expensive but only a cat5 between spaces. Bd drive can go in NAS then too

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nice. Agreed on the nice long cables, but I'd probably look at a digital cable for that length - I know HDMI isn't the top choice (DVI is) (and yes I know the signal is fundamentally the same), it's nice and easy to run and isn't subject to degradation like VGA.

A bluetooth dongle on a long USB cable might solve the KB/mouse issue.

I like it as a plan - would you want to use HTPC/Steam and work concurrently?

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

5. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Well, it does not have to be all cables. I don't mind a wireless solution. Some sort of USB/display hub. I heard of widi, though I think that works with displays only and not the controller part.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiDi

6. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I like the HDMI-ethernet adaptor thingy. I think the Steambox/PC does not need to be in the same room as the TV. If the PC stays with the work monitor/keyboard, then it can be as big/loud as it is. So, I am not constrained with HTPC casing. The only thing to figure out is how to extend the USB ports from the PC (which is now in the work room) to the monitor some 10 m+ away in the other room. Then I can use this USB hub to connect wireless keyboard/mouse and the wired xbox 360 controllers.

7. woody_294

You can shove USB over Ethernet cable too, then you could run a couple of extra Ethernet cables for redundancy and/or extra kit. Everything over Ethernet.

8. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Something like this?

so PC USB port - USB-ethernet converter - ethernet cable - USB-ethernet converter - xbox 360 controller?

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

10. woody_294

Yep those are the things, used them for a USB internet dongle mast on the roof, cunningly disguised as a traffic cone on top of a portacabin, with a dongle taped to the top...

11. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

You can not get USB3 over Ethernet yet and long USB3 cables are useless.
    They did a big test on them a few months back in the german C't mag.
    Sorry :(

13. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Is USB 2.0 fine then? I don't need USB 3.0. Just a method to hook wired controllers to the pc.

Also, how do you hook a tv which is 100 feet away from the PC? HDMI does not reach that far.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3319676&postcount=4
    link is here for HDMI over Ethernet extenders :D

15. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

16. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Presumably one could use those HDMI over Ethernet etc connectors with homeplugs - that'd be ace.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

No, you can't do that.

18. woody_294

Nope, it isn't converted to standard ip packets or anything, it just signals over the cat5

19. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Subscribed to your thread mate, have been working on something like this for the last 6 months, its still in pieces. :waah:

20. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Feel free to do so. This is a very long term project of mine as well. I'll get the infrastructure: cables (some 30m), furniture and TV up and running first (in the order of Furniture>TV>cables & PC), then concentrate on a pc which will definitely be a haswell or higher CPU. Unless AMD A12 offers outstanding graphic power that it makes no sense to drag wires across the work room to the master bedroom and build a silent HTPC or 2 pc's instead. I like the AMD APU concept, but it will not be strong enough to drive two monitors at the same time at 1080p with my current plans (one PC two monitors). The A10 6800k will come out in summer. Then, here is hoping motherboard makers can make some uber mini-itx motherboard.

There is a clear shift that high performance can come in small packages. That bitfenix prodigy is a clear example. I also do not find next gen consoles to be that appealing especially when the equivalent games cost more. There is XBMC and steam big screen for that now. My own prediction is PS4/durango/wiiU will be the last gen of high end consoles as the PC interface and game/media delivery service on PC is mature enough to stand on its own. Also, even though Crisis3 pushes graphics card, a midrange graphic card can satisfy majority of gamers now. Game companies are not stupid enough to make high end games without catering to the masses. In order to get better graphics, the file size will definitely needs to be bigger. If not bigger, instruction codes like TressFX (AMD) and PhysX (Nvidia) aside from Direct X will come into play to make games looking better. Traditional media capacity like bluray is limited and that limit is rarely pushed (dual/quadruple layer Bluray disc). PC games still come with 2 or more DVD's and that itself is on its way out in favour of online downloads. The only reason the PS3 is there is for the bluray and few games. Now, when you are playing PC games on the TV, you are limited to the 1080p resolution, unless you have a very huge TV. Also, base on the resolution-distance setting
    , you will not be able to see that great effect extra pixels are giving you unless you sit very close to the TV, which is unlikely. 4K is the future of TV resolution and screen size, but you definitely need a big TV and a big room to take advantage of that. Then there is still the small matter of satisfying the 4x data needed for 4k.

I'll post pics when I'm done. Sorry if this takes a year or more:lol: Still in the planning the built-in furniture for the TV an dressing table for the master bedroom. That involves compromise with the wife...:rolleyes: Previously (like 10 years ago), before the availability of desktop motherboards with built in wifi, I decided to drill holes through few rooms and drag some 10m ethernet cables just to make sure I get constant speed on my Northwood p4 3.06ghz CPU. Looking back at that work, while it was a neat job and cables tuck away, I would not want to do it now. I'd rather use a wireless solution by using an old router as a repeater, if needed. Also, my mom wasn't impressed when I started drilling through walls:hehe: