1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steamworks and Portal 2 coming to PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jun 2010.

1. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

They could let you buy it on steam store, or retail or PSN. Then give you a key that works on both PS3 and PC which you link with your steam account or PSN account (Or wateva is, I don't have PS3, PC all the way!)

2. lacuna

lacuna Member

I think you have perhaps misunderstood my question. I understand Steam (been using it since HL2 release) but I don't understand its purpose if it is stripped of all its features for the PS3. Say, for example, I buy Portal 2 for PC, it goes in my steam library and I can play it on any PC/MAC with the Steam client. However, how will it be delivered to the PS3? Surely my PS3 would require a version of the Steam client to be downloaded first in order to validate my Steam account? It would seem pointless to produce a bespoke client for the PS3 just for 1 game, hence my thinking that they have grander plans.

If, on the other hand, purchasing a copy of Portal 2 via the Steam store for PC/MAC does not entitle you to a PS3 copy then I see no point in the cloud saving feature (other than saving hdd space). Automatic updates are normal for any PS3 game already so thats hardly revolutionary. If Valve are planning on offering DLC via their own means then that is already a conflict with the PSN.

It seems to me that either Valve are going to offer a proper client for the PS3 with the store or it will just end up being nothing more than a PS3 release of Portal 2 developed by Valve rather than ported by someone else.

3. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

What if you buy the PS3 version normally and you get the PC/MAC for free and not vice versa? I can already see myself wearing a Portal turret hat on my pyro!

4. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Member

from apple to ps3, is gabe really running valve nowadays? oh well.. meh

5. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach New Member

This was their big announcement! Thanks.

6. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

What a kick in the teeth to PC gamers.

Fair enough we will get Portal 2 which I am looking forward to. But come on! 2011? Why not release to PC first then port to consoles? You know, to show that you still give a crap about your loyal PC gamer base who have been with you since HL1!

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

This is like when the girl you like tells you she needs to tell you something and then, as she looks at you in the eyes and smiles, she says she just found the perfect guy to be with. Of course that guy is not you and is actually some asshole you hate but she's still smiling

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh blah blah presumptive blah.

How do you know the two aren't connected? It could be just Valve perfecting Portal 2 takes until 2011 anyway. As far as I know, Value game development and Steam online are mostly separate within the company anyway.

However, stating and FPS is "the best console version of the game" is like saying this is the best **** you'll eat all day. It's not exactly Halo as Portal makes extensive use of the Y axis. I like this part though: "I'd like to thank Sony for their gracious hospitality" - either Sony are getting very desperate for games, which considering their 2010 line up sounds plausible, and/or they threw a lot of money at Gabe and took the team to a titty bar.

And people wonder why companies don't like PC gamers anymore? :p

9. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Who will want to play Portal 2 in a PS3 instead of on a PC?!:confused:

10. lacuna

lacuna Member

People without a PC obviously. Besides that, if you can play with a keyboard and mouse on PS3 theres no real difference.

11. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

graphical differences mainly. hopefully, i shall be playing at 2560 x 1440 or higher resolution if it comes out in 2011.

12. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Portal wasn't exactly full of high res, high quality graphical goodness, not much of the stuff from Valve is, designed to run on a broad spectrum of hardware and run well so engine feels firmly stuck in 2006, art quality determining how well it looks really, therefore PC is probably not much of a benefit, also regarding keyboard and mouse, wasn't really necessary in Portal as its not all about shooty shooty headshot, would probably perfectly fit a pad, not that I'd really know I played on PC.

13. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

LOL @ the thought of someone not owning a PC in 2010.

Tags: Add Tags