1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steel Frame - Plexi Panels

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by HAXOR, 16 Oct 2003.

1. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

I'm planning on taking my old case (very ugly, even with the paintjob, compared to my new box ;)) and tearing off the steel side panels, removing the front panel, and rebuilding the front panel out of plexi, same goes for the top. Of coarse, I'll repainting it, after first stripping it of it's current paintjob, and re-riviting everything to re-enforce the case. It'll be my second LAN comp that my friend matt uses when he comes over. It'll be covered in maybe 1/8" lexen sheets, since it won't need a lot of support (since it'll have the original steel frame). I'm thinking repainting it a silver color, and then put some green UV reactive paint over that (UV paint is clear, if you didn't already know). Then get some green cold cathodes, green LED fans (if they're available), and anyother colors that might look good with them. Let me know what you think. Lexen is cheap here, so I'll be able to pick it all up with my next paycheck.

~HAX

Last edited: 24 Oct 2003
  2. Snitch

Snitch Supremodder

Might be nice, when do u start?

3. Zoomer

Zoomer What's a Dremel?

sounds intresting do you think there will be enough strenth when you remove the top and front? or are you keeping the frame and just putting plexi ontop.

4. macroman

macroman The One

Moved to modding from project logs.

5. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

I'm sure there will be plenty of strength, it's a very strong frame, and I've taken the thing apart down to the frame several times for past mods.

6. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Okay, I got my paycheck and I can start doing some shopping. Two 12" cold cathodes, two biohazard fan grills, four 4000mcd blue LEDs, and a clear PSU mod with shippping from this site is going to cost me $35.90 total. Sound good?

Next, I'll need to get the lexen, maybe $35 - $40 for it all to cover this case. I was wondering about how I was going to fasten this stuff to the case. I don't want ot use pop-rivits cause those expand and shrink with differant temps and will crack the lexen over a short period of time (I've experianced it), Bots are a MAYBE, but they don't look too pretty. Is there any glue I might be able to use???

I can't wait to start working on this baby ^_^.

~HAX

7. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Bought myself a buttload of supplies today. Got some aluminum trim for another project, three sheets of .118 20x32" lexen, a few dremel attatchments, two types of epoxy, a can of bondo, the brass nuts and bolts, spray grips for spray cans, and some new clamps. Spent a total of $93.22. I REALLY hope I don't have to get anything else. I've still got to get a bondo paddle, but that should be cheap. I've still got to order some UV paint and the cathodes and stuff.

BTW, where can I get UV paint at the cheapest? I don't care about brand or anything, I just want it CHEAP!

8. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Souns like it's going to be cool. But have you stolen the frame? :eyebrow: :p

9. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

lol. Of coarse not ;). I'm using the frame from my old case, that houses my old computer, the Celeron 700. I had it overclocked to 840MHz, which will happen again after I get another 128MB RAM in that board, and when I can dig out the good CPU cooler for it.

My old case cost me $20 shipped with a 300WATT codegen PSU. It was on clearence on some Yahoo! store, and I desperately needed an ATX case. It was a "translucent" purple case, that was just clouded purple plastic that was screwed to the side panels and the top. I repainted it black with a silver front, added a window, cut out the front fan grill, and added a top CPU fan to it. It's gotten quite tacky and I've always wanted to do a clear case mod, so here I am :)

10. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

YAY! The case modding has begun. I would appreciate it if an admin or mod would move this thread back to the Journals section :D

Okay, first we'll start with some pix of the case before I did anything to it:

[​IMG]

And some pix of it down to the bare frame, which is all that I'll be using:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last pic is off the bottom. I got to dremeling and I remembered that I should have taken a pic of it before I trashed it ;).

11. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

this all sounds very nice.
    Should look very cool at the end.
    Lets see more pics

12. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Alright, first I'll show you my choice of tools:

[​IMG]
    The Bandsaw and craftsman vacume. All of this high powered machinery is Shop Smith brand and my dads, of coarse :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Shop Smith main workbench. This time I have the disc sander attatched to it, so I can flatten the edges on the lexen. This made creating the panels quite quick :).

13. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

What does every case modder need?

[​IMG]
    A pop-riveter of coarse :D

And what does every spray painter need?

[​IMG]
    Spray grips ;)

For my choice of paints on the frame, I used Rust-Oleum HD2815 Aluminum "America's Finest" paint, and Rust-Oleum clear enamel clear coat (I don't recall the number at this moment, if you really want it, just ask ;)).

[​IMG]

14. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    I bought two types of epoxy...Metal epoxy, and clear regular epoxy. The metal epoxy caught my eye cause it says it acts as a weld joint, and will come in handy for an aluminum project with my main comp. The other epoxy is for multi-purposes, and I'll use it with the lexen when the needs comes up, which I belive will happend when I start putting switches in and such.

[​IMG]
    This perticular distro of Mirror Glaze is what I use for polishing up clearcoated paint. It acts like 5000 grit sandpaper, and we've had this bottle in the garage on a shelf for years.

[​IMG]
    And this is what i used for polishing up the edges of the lexen. It removed fine and light scratches alike, and made the edges of the lexen smooth, seemed more like liquid 2000 grit to me.

15. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

After a day and a half of dremeling, 43 "heavy-duty" cut off wheels, and not even a quater of a grinding stone, I arrived at these. Just what I was looking for in the frame of this little gem. Believe me, you start to become quite smelly, dirt, black, and tired after all that dremeling, painting, and polishing. :worried:

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic of teh back frame....

[​IMG]
    And of the bottom frame.....

[​IMG]
    And the front frame. This is before my bondo work, which coverd up some of the screw holes along the side. That ugly part under the 3.5" drive bays is also corrected.

16. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    The motherboard tray...Also with this, I cut out the two rectangular parts to show off the hardware a bit more. I think it looks pretty nice.

[​IMG]
    And of coarse, the top frame. :)

17. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Now to get into the real modding.

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic of the label on one of the three sheets of lexen, showing that it really is 20x32 lexen, and, as you can't see it, it is .118 thickness.

[​IMG]
    Just thought I'd slip this in here. It's a pic of the case frame, and no, it's not riveted together yet, the parts are just resting on top of another, but this gives you an idea to what I'm going for :).

[​IMG]
    Here's the bottom sheet of lexen for the case, this was cut and sanded in about five minutes (I was in a hurry), and polished in about 15 mins.

18. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I put two boards on the sides of the bit so I could slide the lexen around, and still not have to have the bit dig into a board of wood and start to burn, and also gave me less friction. I'm not just using any old drill bit, I borrowed one from the Rotozip kit we have here (a giant high speed dremel :)), and is made to make cuts while moving to the sides, forward, backward, or anything of the like.

19. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Here is the back panel lexen cutting all done. Can you see what it's missing? Screwholes for the power supply. When I went to drill these with the drillpress, the drill took the lexen with it, spun it around a few times, while breaking off two pieces and kept spinning while flapping the part I was atempting to cut, around and around on the bit.

Thus leaving me with THIS! :waah: :grr: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :waah: :waah: :grr: :miffed: :miffed: :sigh: :jawdrop: :duh:
    [​IMG]
    Three hours and fifteen minutes of work gone to WASTE! Trashed in a a few seconds, almost killing me by flinging the small parts in various directions.

So I had to recut the whole thing, and that took me two hours and thirty minutes, but it got done. Instead of using a drill press this time though, I just used a handheld cordless drill, just to be safe. That put me behind schedule, and I just barely finished the front plastic, which I will show you all tommorw. For now, I'm tired and must sleep. Wish me luck on NO MORE MISTAKES! :sigh: :sigh:

20. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

damn, lookin good, what did you use to cut the openings in the lexan?..

and... shouldnt this be in "project logs"