1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steel Frame - Plexi Panels

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by HAXOR, 16 Oct 2003.

1. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Okay, I'll start out this time with some pix of the stuff I got from casemod.com :D

[​IMG]
    I ordered the top two IDE cables. My dad ordered four floppy cables last time, so he let me use one of 'em, which is on the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Here's the sweet fan grills. Believe me, they look awesome on the case :).

[​IMG]
    The LEDs. They're blue UV ones, not as blue as I was hoping, more of a purple, but they still look great on the case.

2. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And last but not least, the cold cathode. What I really liked about it is that the inverter supports two lights, and not just one like a lot of the sets I've seen This is a 12" blue CC by Sunbeam. Very nice one I must say. I personally like it more than my older brother's one. This one actually came with a nice switch ;).

3. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Okay, on to the project :).

[​IMG]
    Here's the controls for the CC and the front fan. To the left, the fan regulator. It's a simple 100k pot and an NPN transistor, and some wire. If you want more pix of it or the instructions on how to build it, just ask. And to the right, the CC switch, nothing special here :) (Sorry about the blury pic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And I took my hand to the LITTLE bit of ingraving the on and off words for the CC switch. Doesn't look too bad, I guess :blah:

Last edited: 30 Oct 2003
  4. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Okay, I decided to use magnetic tapish like strips to hold the side panels on.

[​IMG]
    Here's a picture of the roll we have of magnetic tape, and yes, that's a second roll up top. This stuff has been sitting out in the garage for soo long, that, in fact, the adhisive has actually weathered away. So...

[​IMG]
    I was forced into using epoxy. Since the tape would bow when not stuck to anything, I had to hold it to the plexi with a buttload of clamps, and hold the lexen down with the drill so it wouldn't flip off the case from the weight. The epoxy fully dried in about ten minutes and I was free from the worry of the lexen snapping in half. :rolleyes:

5. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Holding that 5.25" bay cover in was confusing. Since the bolts were soo close to the actual drive cage, I had to cut the bolt in "half" so it would fit. This just took a quick bit of dremeling and I was done :).

[​IMG]
    You kind of have to look hard in this picture to see what it is really of. These are the power and HDD leds. And I also took a bit of time to engrave the HDD and PWR letters above them. Doesn't look too bad, I guess.

6. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Okay, pictures of building the legs for this little guy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to take pictures before I rounded out the edges on the main strip, but it was just done on the disc sander. The main strips are 1/4" with 1.8" epoxied on top, but looks natural until you see the epoxy on top. I didn't do this, this was cut from a big sheet that my dad brought back from work. Then I just took some 1/4" thick stuff and made some small squares to epoxy at the ends of that.

[​IMG]
    Then I went back to the disc sander after letting the epoxy dry, and rounded out the corners and flushed the edges with the rest of the strip.

7. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    And the finished product. They looks really nice I think, dunno about you though.

[​IMG]
    And here they are put onto the case, nothing pretty, YET.... :D

8. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

And the moment you've all been waiting for, the finished product :D :D :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

10. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

11. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

:rock: Great work :clap:

12. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And I forgot to mention earlier about the reset switch. I decided to route it to the back into a slot cover so the front doesn't look soo crowded, and I rarely use reset buttons :).

13. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Now these pix are a TREAT. I really like how it illumininates the whole case in these pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

[​IMG]
    HERE'S the UPSIDE of the feet I built. The blue light just SCREAMS down here. In person, this looks way more awesome than it does in this pic. I was really supprised about this, and I think you know why :).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there ya go ladies and gentel men, my first plexi mod! Yes, I plan on windowing the CDROM, just so you all know :).

15. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

are you really sure you want magnets near your harddrive?

looks great!

16. Zoomer

Zoomer What's a Dremel?

i like it, nice just a pitty you have the not so nice old case frame underneath,

ever though of getting it cromed or somthing?

17. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

Acctually there are magnets in your harddrive.

18. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

This would be my first ever negative post ever. Why? Cause a) you seem to have the worst 'luck' and have cracked too much lexan that makes one this this should be called 'Project: Cracked Lexan'..... b) you kid your self with statements such as "it can't be seen" or to the effect.

I'm a perfectionist and if it ain't perfect, I can not sleep ;)

I thought of posting something along the lines of 'You Suck' but instead I wish you the best of luck....

*crack*..... :rolleyes:

19. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

:thumb: I think it looks really great! Even greater than I'd imagined. And the fact that you have a clear bottom in the case is also cool (although some dust might assemble there over time.
    You know what you should do? The front bezel where you engraved ON/OFF, if you side light that with a bright LED, the on/off writing will glow too!

20. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

legoman666

If you look, the magnets are no where near the harddrives, and they're nothing compared to some refridgerator magnets I've seen before.

bsodmike

I'm a perfectionist all the time as well, but since this isn't my main computer, or even going to been seen half the time I see my main box, why should it matter? It was my first time with plexi and I've learned some valuble lessons with it. My little brother uses the beast more than I do :D

Bard

Good idea! But I think I need to do something with the empty, but not soo empty filled with cables, 5.25" drive bays before I go lighting those up. But I'm seriously considering your idea :)