1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steve Jobs’ Macworld 2008 Keynote - Live Updates Starting 5PM GMT

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 15 Jan 2008.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I am a travelling clinician between three hospitals, and trust me, with all the other stuff I carry that extra 1lb makes a big difference.

1 USB port is generally enough --for memory sticks and USB drives ("Two USB ports? Not me: I plug in the Freecom Toughdrive and go!"). Else there is such a thing as... (wait for it) the portable USB hub! :eeek: And for all those who moan about non-swappable batteries --hands up, those, who actually own two batteries for their laptop and actually carry them around to swap. Nobody? Hmmm? Thought so.

I agree it is pricey, a fair bit of style over substance, but it is also well-built and functional. And so caressable it's untrue. Only Sony laptops tend to come close.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

Absolutely not... the most excited I got was when I typed "THIS THING IS INSANE!!" - but that was fairly early reactions though... my second more detailed analysis of the situation once I'd had time to sit down and think about it was a bit more in line with how I feel about the MBA.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I totally agree with this point.

One is fine if there is wireless available, but on many occasions I've found that it's not available and I can't just work without it (I can't submit stories without any tubes to connect to). I thought it was ironic that Steve was talking about a notebook that relies pretty much solely on WiFi in the Moscone Center - a place known for its poor WiFi connectivity during Macworld/IDF. :D

I carry two with me everywhere... although you could class the two I carried yesterday as one, because my spare was actually broken (not just flat). It's the same reason as above - redundancy is key for me being able to do my job.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I just think it would be far better to have a second port. Whats the point in an ultra portable laptop if you just need to carry extra faff?

The majority of laptop owners in the office. I know I definitely would buy too.

Far too expensive in my mind - especially when its $1000 for an 64GB SSD to add in and you need to send it away to get a new battery.

I just don't understand the USB thing at all - it limits you so, so much. You can't use DVD and USB at the same time without extra hassle. You can't use USB and ethernet. There's just so much you can't do. And the size of it means to me that it isn't ultra portable. It's light, but its too big to be heavy. Those techy people on the go are already catered to by Sony and the EEE PC, so while more competition is welcome, I don't see the big deal.

5. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Absolutely not... the most excited I got was when I typed "THIS THING IS INSANE!!" - but that was fairly early reactions though... my second more detailed analysis of the situation once I'd had time to sit down and think about it was a bit more in line with how I feel about the MBA.[/QUOTE]

/hehe

I agree though a beautiful beautiful looking machine.....

6. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I thought I would add in, the MBA is probably the worst priced normal laptop I have ever seen. £2300 for a laptop I could pick up from somewhere else for much less. Looks nice, but c'mon, Apple, get real.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's £1,199 in its default configuration? :confused:

8. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Over priced I think, the hole point of making these laptops like the EEE is that fill the gap between PDA and full sized laptops If your going to charge that much then your never going to get anywhere. This is applies problem they don't have anything decent at the lower priced spectrum of PC hardware.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

holy cow, that thing is SEXY..........

the ethernet is the biggest gripe for me, but hey, all that means is carrying an extra wireless router with u and ur good to go.

Tags: Add Tags