1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Steve Jobs has died

Discussion in 'General' started by andrew8200m, 6 Oct 2011.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Why do people find it necessary to mention here in such great volume that they didn't like Steve's company or his products? This is a thread that should be used for paying respect to someone who was arguably one of the most important people in the computer and technology industry in the past 30 or 40 years. Just pay your respects by saying something nice and move on - I'm not saying you can't have your own opinion on Apple, but this isn't the time or the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think it is because people want to emphasise their objectivity. You don't have to be an Apple fan to recognise that he was a visionary.

And he was. Bill Gates said, upon hearing the news, that Steve Job's contribution to the world of computing would be felt for generations to come. He was not just being nice. Jobs practically single-handedly defined the current world of personal computing. Without him PCs would still be beige boxes, OS' would still look and act like Windows 2000, and MP3 players would be clunky plastic fringe products and smartphones would be a few awkward Nokia phone/PDA hybrids. Like them or loathe them, a lot of the gadgets we enjoy today exist because Apple upped the game.

I was there almost from the start: 1982, only 3 years after the Apple I hit the market my fingers first touched a computer keyboard. I am typing this on an iPhone now. We've come a long way. Now this world feels a bit like a family with its granddad gone.

Perhaps somewhere in the secret underground Apple research facility, Jobs' mind is being uploaded as we speak. Perhaps StevOS will wake up, and rule the company forever.

Hey, a guy can dream. :D

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It'd be a psudeo GLADOS. Or worse, SHODAN.

4. windy

windy What's a Dremel?

The world has lost a true genius. He changed the way many look at technology from being mostly focused on the power of the hardware/software within, to take into account the aesthetics and usability of the product. This has been massive in terms of appealing to the wider, non-technological public and getting them more interested in tech, and making the rest of the tech industry change the way they create products. Think about how a PC looked at the time Apple released the iMac - beige, beige and even more beige.

RIP Steve Jobs

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah he made apple what it was.. could sell his proprietary hardware and people would buy.. course most of us saw the pick and pull of building a regular pc a much better route

you can see what happened to apple when he left.. and when he came back.. the man knew how to market- he was a lot like huang is for nvidia, but on a much higher level

huang shafted his base too and they happily bought into the milk.. a lot like apple does with the power macs and limiting newer versions of their os to newer machines.. can't deny the iphone though

heck I like the iphone! and osx is nothing to laugh at- it is a lot like linux.. wonder what will happen with apple now that he's gone for good

6. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

RIP Mr Jobs! It's weird that I'm typing this on an iPhone and just yesterday I received a iPad 2 as a gift. His products were and are in a way life changing as nexxo said if it wasn't for his vision some of the products we take for granted like the phone or mp3 may never developed to what they are now.

The thing that's scary is that he wasn't even that old. Life is too short just get out and enjoy it while it lasts

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

All of this. Better put than I could as usual Nexxo. (Except StevOS, clearly that would be PodOS)

8. heh-

heh- curses.

He was great at making his products sell and he definately pushed hardware technology and usability forward. Capacitive touch screens on smart phones, ipod touch wheel, multi touch just to name a few things that came out of Apple under his watch.
    RIP

Unfortunatly not true - Lian Li released their first aluminium case in 1998, the same year as the iMac was released.

9. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

Such a sad day. I don't think we shall see another technologically creative mind such as his in our lifetime. You don't have to be an Apple fanboy to appreciate the man's genius.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

RIP Steve. Sent from my iPad 2.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

12. Deders

Deders Modder

I think people paying their respects despite not liking his products shows their appreciation for the man himself. How many other CEO's are mourned this much after death?

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the loss of influential figure , who will allways be known in history is a sad thing

Last edited: 6 Oct 2011
  14. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

RIP to a truly innovative leader and a genius of the IT Industry.

15. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I suggest to stop all form of apple hate today in his memory. We might like apple or not (I'm in the second category), but lets respect his work. He was a true visionary man and helped improving technology.

Rest in peace Steve :thumb:

16. el2k

el2k Modder

As with a lot of you, and with a lot of PC enthusiasts.. I never bought an apple product however I do have a lot of respect for the man.

RIP.

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

A genuine shame that this guy has gone. RIP Steve, we'll miss you!

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's shocking to see he is actually only 55. my own old man is about the same age as him!

RIP

well said Nexxo. people just love to hate, yet many don't realise the hardware they hold in their hand is result of tech revolution that came from a man with vision.

Narrated by the man himself:

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

A great shame.

20. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I assumed that behind every speech, every design, every OS, behind everything Apple, there was a team of people working together, responsible for creating everything Apple.

If I've falsely assumed, then then we've lost a modern day Genius.

3lusive likes this.