1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sticking crap on my car!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GavX, 3 Mar 2010.

1. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Came out college today and walked to the car, and there was a lovely "oi, dont park here" sticker, which was fair enough. What wasn't fair enough was it was glued on my damn window.
    Exactly how legal is it to do this? I was rather hacked off, "this will come off in warm soapy water" and I don't doubt that for a minute, what I do doubt is just how safe it is to drive home with an A4 paper stuck on your passanger window.
    Argued with a lecturer on this too, claiming:
    a. It can be classed as vandalism
    b. "spray painted" double yellow lines are not double yellow lines, sprayed on campus about an hour before I arrived apparently.
    c. I will park here, have been parking here for a year and will continue to until they make more parking
    d. It is not park on the queens highway, so the lines are worthless
    Anyone input?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Were you parking on private property or a proper street? If it's private property (even a road that looks public can be privately owned) then they can effectively do as they please. Afaik they could just clamp your car without warning.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Don't park there or they'll stick crap on your car.

Take the message instead of trying to argue about the sticker.

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

They are entitled to sticker you however these should be placed in a way that cant be distractive to the driver. In past jobs this was one of my duties. Stickers had to be placed on rear passenger windows. I would speak to the company that issued the sticker in regards to where they place the sticker.

5. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

while I am all for "Dont park there" seeing I have been able to park tehre for 9 months, then over night suddenly I cant, the only sign I cant are 2 faint double yellow lines which when running late and I have no other place to park, are last thing on my mind. Seems a bit odd, now had I been on a disabled spot, then yes, as it were punish me. I was parking somewhere I have parked with about 10 other cars for as long as I have been going there... seems a bit odd, and glueing them on, a flyer under my window would suffice, like the red car infront of mine got, you know, a lecturer's car. they didnt even give everyone stickers which also hacks me off
    I guess its classed as private, its college grounds

6. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

It'll be private ground, and the sticking them on makes sure the driver notices and doesn't just screw up and chuck. Be glad your in Scotland, in England you'd have been clamped. Double yellow lines aren't needed, as it's not public roads a small plaque somewhere on the road suffices. and changes to parking on private land require no notice to be given, so it will happen overnight.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Clamping from a legal perspective doesn't go down very well anymore, people complaining about scratches to alloys etc. Hence the appearance of companies like Parkforce. The latter of which don't have a single leg to stand on from a legal perspective when they fine you.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

what I hate is the guys that stick the business cards on your driver and passenger side windows.. I've got a few stuck in the door trying to get them while driving

what's wrong with using tape.. It'd probably irk me too

9. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

even sticking it under the windscreen wiper, I just though one of the students got their hands on yellow spray, hardly looks professionally done

10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

If you park where you aren't allowed again, then maybe next time they'll put it on the windshield, in front of the driver's seat.

Consider yourself lucky that you weren't fined, or have your car towed aswell. Not cheap to get a car out of impound either.

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Be wary of disregarding this with "you were in the wrong, so you can't complain" sentiments. They may be sanctioning him, but they still have to do so within certain reasonable restrictions. Making it impossible to see out of his window falls outside these - at least, I'd hope it does. It's nothing less than dangerous.

12. mvagusta

No one is forcing anyone to drive with half thier windscreen obscured.

Pretend you own the school, and someone parks where they shouldn't? Is it then ok to put the notice on the windshield?

What about if a stranger parks thier car, in the middle of your driveway at home? Is it then ok? Or maybe then it's ok to call the council and have the car impounded?

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Yes, they are. They want the OP to remove the car and not return, yet if the sticker needs soap and water to remove - how can he comply with their wishes?

Sure - if the notice can be easily removed or is small enough to not cause a impediment when driving.

It's say it isn't OK, and that you should check what options are legally available to you. If the council are entitled and willing to impound the car, it may be an option, but personally I would just put a notice on the car - especially when considering it is the first infraction of newly-implemented parking restrictions.

Just because you have the power to be an awkward officious asshat, doesn't mean that you should necessarily use it, IMHO.

14. mvagusta

The sticker will be removed if soap and water are used, but that's obviously not the only way to remove it, if such a weak cleaning agent will do the trick. Plain water could be used, or even fingernails and perhaps a little saliva. Do you think the offender will park there again?

Maybe the notice could have been printed on the side of a cup? A freshly poured caffe latte could also be poured into said cup, as the parking offender approaches thier vehicle. :rolleyes:

Ok, the first time you'd just put a notice on the car? Perhaps a note under a windscreen wiper?
    What about the second time? Tow time yet?
    But you said it isn't ok just above? The rules are a little different when it's your property being affected, aren't they?

I agree - if I wanted to be an asshat, I wouldn't give the warning notice on the windshield the first time, I'd have the car heavily fined, towed and impounded, and expel the student from the university for breaking the rules. Not the sort of student I'd like to attend my university.

I think a fee free warning on the windshield, is a very polite way of going about things.

15. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

The guy is obviously on the slippery slope to a life of crime; why not just cut to the chase and shoot him?

PS. The best students take their pick of universities - do you think they'd all gravitate to the university with such draconian and heavy-handed management?

boiled_elephant likes this.
  16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

yep, but then you would be in for a shock when they entered the real world.

who cares, its a sticker, get off your soap boxes and keep your eyes open for parking ******s.

17. mvagusta

I wouldn't go that far, unless he had parked on top of another student for example.

Sort of, yeah. Hard working students generally like it when the school is fairly strict, and mischievous behaviour isn't tolerated.
    There's usually always at least a couple of people however, that think that they can be more important than everyone else, and do things like park where they want, get extensions with any fake excuse, all sorts of preferencial treatment.

+1

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Come on, guys... how often do we have to listen to the 'dog-eat-dog-world' crap?

Do you seriously think that unnecessarily p*ssing people off, just to prove a point is a sensible way to conduct yourself?

If the Police knee-capped every small, first-time offender, it would certainly cut down on the repeat offences, so why don't we do it? Because it goes against the spirit of our justice system, where the punishment is supposed to fit the crime.

How does this spiteful measure fit the crime? Sure, if you want to cause the infringer some sort of inconvenience as a reminder thats up it you; perhaps an awkward, large, bright sticker on the rear, driver-side window would suffice but this way wouldn't be a safety issue.

I dread the day that some woman is attacked in a dark car-park late at night while she tries to scrape a sticker off her windscreen. Well, she certainly won't park there again - that will be her lesson learned.

And what of the driver who crashes on the way home due to poor visibility?

Do seriously think the parking attendants will avoid liability?

It's a spiteful and immature attitude.

talladega likes this.
  19. mvagusta

no, I find issuing a notice or a fine kinda neccessary

True A fine for parking where you shouldn't sounds about right, an annoying notice without a fine is a fairly weak punishment I think.

I don't agree, as explained above. Call me mean I guess?

LOL Parking infringement notices cause rape or even murder?
    So if she wasn't removing the notice, she would have made it into the car, just in time before the big bad boogeyman got her? Perhaps she should speed and run red lights all the way home aswell?
    What if the boogey man got her before she even got to the car?
    Maybe she should be allowed to park right at the entrance of the building!!!
    :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

He would win a darwin award for not removing the notice.

I've seen Councils slap ~A4 sized notices on drivers windows for leaving thier car parked on a public nature strip. I haven't seen anyone dumb enough to drive a car without removing the notice, not that I doubt there are people out there that were stupid enough to do this.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if the same stupid people crashed, and then tried to sue the council.

Except for when every day for the last week, someone has been parking thier car in your personal driveway at home, correct?

Wait, are you perhaps saying that thinking you can park anywhere you want, and how dare anyone complain about it, is a spitefull and immature attitude?

If so, then I agree.

20. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Actually, I'm mostly with cjmUK here - there's absolutely no need for the sticker to be enormous and a pain to remove. It is supposed to be a warning, not a punishment, and the reason it's huge and Day-Glo and difficult to remove is to make sure the person gets the point, not so they have to spend four hours of their lives scraping at it with Goo-Gone so they can see enough to get home. The guy sticking it in the driver's line of sight is basically being a complete ass (probably because he's a ruthlessly underpaid parking attendant with few career prospects, if that's any consolation).

Let's not blow it out of proportion - it's still just a big sticker, after all - but it seems to me that a small sticker, or an A4 flyer tucked under the wipers, or even the same sticker applied to a rear quarter window would have done the trick just as effectively. The smart idea, of course, would be to make it only A5, but to print on it "THIS IS YOUR ONE WARNING: NEXT TIME, WE WILL CLAMP YOU" which is 100% effective at discouraging parking violations.