1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sticky Threads... Some of them are *old* af...

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Byron C, 22 Sep 2018.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Must-Have Software for your Mac: started Apr 2005, last post Aug 2017
    What is this Linux thing?: started July 2006, last post Nov 2016
    How to Write a Project Log: started Sept 2007, last post Sept 2007
    The bit-tech Crowdfunding Thread!: started Mar 2017, last post Mar 2017
    Longweight's Mechanical Keyboard Guide: started May 2012, last post Apr 2016
    The Newbie's Guide to Computer Building - Version 1.1 - Updated 30 Mar 2010 - Pics!: started Feb 2010, last post Mar 2016
    PC Technology Buyers Guide: Consumer Rights: started Oct 2011, last post Oct 2015
    READ THIS FIRST: Build Advice threads - how to post them!: started Jan 2010, last post Aug 2011
    Tech support: The must-have software thread: started Sept 2008, last post Jan 2015
    A Guide To Everything You Could Need: started Jun 2014, last post Jun 2014
    Looking for 1080p playback advice? Follow this thread: started Jun 2008, last post Aug 2011
    Tech support advice - Read before posting!: started May 2006, last post Jul 2006
    The "Report Thread/Post" button: started Jun 2006, last post Aug 2012

I haven't really done a deep-dive on these, and I haven't touched the "Modding" subforum, but surely we could stand to let some of these die? We have sticky threads that haven't been touched in a decade. Do all of these really need to be sticky these days?

Some of them might still contain useful stuff, but surely we should put these old-timers out to pasture and replace them with updated information? Do we really need a thread telling people how to play 1080p video when a £5 Raspberry Pi Zero can decode & play 1080p?

I'd happily have a crack at re-writing some of these.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I started that one 'cos someone joined to promote their crowdfunded case project and in a discussion with the mod team it was felt that ash-canning it outright as spam was a little harsh but leaving it alone too soft. The thread was a compromise: somewhere to dump all the "please back my Kickstarter" posts without deleting them but allowing people to easily ignore them if they so choose.

Then the dude never came back, and nobody else has tried promoting their campaign since.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

So the 1080p thread is a clear de-stickify. A 4K playback advice thread is probably relevant though?

The others seem relevant, if not current.

I guess the question is, does anyone still read them?

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Surely the Technology Buyers Guide (Oct 15) is neither relevant nor current?

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd say that's amongst the few up there that is in no way outdated - did you actually click the link?

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The other issue with many of these old stickies is that only mods can edit or update them now: many of them are by users who are no longer registered or active.

Yeah that's probably true actually. It was 1am when I wrote the OP, can't say I read every single word of every post linked to ;).

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah, my apologies, it actually has some really useful stuff in there. Was getting my threads mixed up.