1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Still no DVD playback

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phil Rhodes, 11 Jan 2016.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I've got actual photographic evidence this time!

This is a basic machine I built a while ago for my mother, who used it for web, word, and email (except that being linux it couldn't print and only hooked up to the wifi three boots in five, but that was sort of usable). And then she wanted to watch an episode of Downton Abbey, so I thought I'd patch it up to their TV, which was the usual Linux video configuration painfest.

Next, software. Insert the DVD, click on a couple of prompts, and... oh.

[​IMG]

...welcome to Linux-world!

Screw this. Let's just install VLC. That is actually possible, on Linux, right?

[​IMG]

...no, clearly, it isn't.

I'm beyond even being irritated by this, anymore. Does anything work, ever, under Linux?

And yeah, yeah, I know, the answer will be "oh yes, but you're using Ubuntu Wascally Wabbit with snordflunk 3.2, whereas only 3.1 is supported when there's an R in the month, and... horznflock blimp zwiggle fnord glink rin bloo blop smrgh... shyasoy... shq auisgdu sd97.*^%£$*&^%"£$"

But the whole thing's still a joke, really, isn't it?

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ubuntu's "Software Centre" has never truly worked for me, and I've been using Ubuntu for 10 years this summer!

Open a terminal and enter

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Give your password when prompted. You will see NO input on screen
    Ubuntu will then download the latest software list
    Next, enter
    Code:
    sudo apt-get ubuntu-restricted-extras vlc
    This will install VLC and the needed files for DVD playback
    Finally enter
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    This will bring the rest of your installed software up to date.

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Thanks for trying, but I've long since sworn never to go anywhere near apt's "upgrade" or "update" commands. I've seen both make machines unbootable.

I may end up reinstalling from scratch. Is there anything that comes with (or can with 100% bulletproof reliability install) flash, skype, and the ability to play DVDs by default?

Other than Windows, natch.

P

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

MacOS ;)

On a more serious note, Ian's advice really should work.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

apt-get update JUST updates the list of AVAILABLE packages It makes NO changes to the OS!

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You might not like my response. You can't run Linux then not use the package manager and then get upset when things aren't installed: I'm sorry but that's just how Linux works. Package managers are so intrinsic to modern distributions.

In fairness, you're right that Linux is very often not obvious: things don't work because someone forgot to put a letter in a file or a specific command line switch, or such and such a version of software X doesn't like Tuesday. Definitely lacking in QA sometimes.

I've run apt-get upgrade and yum install / yum upgrade on remote servers running under hypervisors where I don't have console access to recover it ... and it's been fine. So you should be okay but that's why we have backups right? :)

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

People keep telling me that. Nevertheless...

In my direct experience (see above) it's how linux doesn't work.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'm on Archlinux and definitely like it. Regarding printing, I have a wireless laser printer and it works flawlessly. Samsung provides native unified drivers for their printers.

So far, maintaining the OS, playing DvD or installing things has never been so easy. Dun be afraid of the command line installation process, just follow a tutorial and it will be easy.

Been using Ubuntu for 3 years, but started to like it less and less with each new release.

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

That's usually the only choice anyone has, because there tends to be no documentation and things change so fast it won't be the same procedure as last time even if you've been in the same situation before.

The real problem, though, is what happens when even the automated systems break down, as here. I've said it before, but there needs to be a much more conventional approach to this. the whole approach of trying to keep all the software in a centralised repository and farming it out to clients on the fly sounds lovely in theory, but by my experience it is a disaster of unreliability and trouble. I'm not exaggerating when I say it almost never works - the results given here are typical in the vast majority, more than 80-90%, of cases, especially where the OS install is more than a few weeks old.

P

10. jinq-sea

IT'S FREE, PHIL. A bit of faff is hardly unexpected in that respect, and I think, for something free, it's grand. I also accept that it isn't perfect, but then I haven't paid for it, so that's life.

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I couldn't agree more. Please, though, on that basis, let's encourage people not to propose it for universal adoption. It isn't ready, and there seems to be no real interest in making it ready, for widespread use.

12. jinq-sea

There's only a lack of interest because of the naysayers. If everyone pulled together and contributed, we'd be in a different place!

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

http://askubuntu.com/questions/557824/rhythmbox-plugins-installation-dependency-issue

Previous install (before you tried to install that gstreamer package) failed, thus install is in broken state.

First you need to finish the previous install using :
    Then enable ubuntu-restricted-extras, then it will work.

I wonder how does Phil manages to get his system in permanent broken state all the time :).

The other error is :
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/2189...oved-because-the-authentication-service-is-no

Someone decided to disable PolicyKit Authentication Agent in Startup Programs ? Was that you ?

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

You rather dig your own grave with that sort of statement, because if I haven't changed anything - which I haven't - you're just describing linux as "permanently broken".

Which I suppose is at least accurate.

That particular Ubuntu install came with adequate provisions for web, word and email. I seem to recall we needed some sort of driver to make the Broadcom wifi work (or at least sort of work sometimes). That's all. If that's enough to break the entire installer system, I have nothing to add...

Nope, never heard of it. Again, it was supplied broken. It is broken by design. Again.

P

15. jinq-sea

Phil. Go and buy a Windows licence.

Flibblebot likes this.
  16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Fine, OK.

But do I have your assurance that you will recommend people not to use linux because it is so unreliable?

P

17. jinq-sea

Of course not. I'm an enthusiast so I enjoy using it. I'll recommend it to other enthusiasts. I do, however, assure you that I don't, and won't, recommend it to people who need a simple, easy to use out-of-the-box OS that doesn't require any technical know-how.

I am still at a loss as to why you post here on bit-tech to moan about linux though. If it's that bad for you, why do you persist in trying to use linux?

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Also no.
    Since you refuse to install the programs & libraries you say you need, you deserve to not have it work for you.

19. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I refuse? It offered to install something, and fouled it up spectacularly. My only involvement was clicking OK.

At some point you have to stop shooting the messenger and start accepting there's a serious problem here. The damn thing doesn't work properly. Why, after years, after decades, is it still such a half-baked pile of junk? Why?

Entire platforms, entire operating systems have come and gone in the time it's taken linux to get this bad!

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

He really really dislikes his mum. Or it was an early April fools joke on her. Or revenge. I cannot think of another reasons why Phil would install linux on anyone's PC. :D