1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Stock Heatsink?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TurtlePerson2, 9 Feb 2008.

1. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

Is it worth dishing out the money for a heatsink/fan for my CPU or should I just stick with my current one. I'm planning on upgrading to a Black Edition processor which won't come with a heatsink/fan, so I'm trying to decide whether or not I should just keep using my old one or if I should upgrade.

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

If you are upgrading to a black edition, then the main point of them is for overclocking. and i think they dont come with a heatsink, because its ment to be used with a aftermarket one so you can get the best out of overclocking it to hell and back, and maybe back again :hehe:

So if you are planning on overclocking, look into getting something that will do the job of keeping it cool. if you are not going to overclock it, save the money and get a standard edition cpu.

3. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

Depends what your planning to do with your computer. If your want to overclock then you definatly need to get a better one.

4. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: With stock HSF which are slowed a little via a fan controller I've o/c'ed an A64_3000+ from 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz ... and a C2D 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz, both with a modest 3%-ish increase in core voltage. If you want to get the most out of a fine CPU like the BE then you are best off with a after-market HSF, esp if you don't want a hideous amount of noise.

5. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all your advice, I think I'll get I'll get an aftermarket fan then, since my plans are to oc that thing to at least 3.0 gHz.

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

For my C2D system, I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and I am very happy with it (good performance, very cheap). For AMD processors, they do they do the Freezer 64 Pro.

Tags: