1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange New Network Card

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Reaper_Unreal, 9 Aug 2006.

1. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal What's a Dremel?

I was browsing the internet when an ad for this network card popped up. I was wondering if you guys could do a review of it. I don't know if any of their crazy marketing-speak actually amounts to anything. The price is a bit steep for me to just go out an preorder one though.

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

There was a thread about this a little while back

The consensus was - You're not going to see any stunning improvements because the rest of the network wont support all the stuff on that card.

3. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal What's a Dremel?

Ah, thanks for that, now I know better.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Sounds like they're saying that games would communicate directly with the card.
    ie, you would need to patch every game you run to get them to use this card.

Packet prioritisation already happens on a lot of ISPs, I know Plusnet do it.
    Game and VOIP packets get priority IIRC.

And any decent NIC will already offload network load from the CPU.

Will be interested to see how it goes when/if its released. :)

5. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

It'll kill your wallet and little else I think :)

6. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Our price: $279.99 for a NIC. Man you can get them for under £10 lmao

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah, the nic has been adressed... The overall concensus was that it wasn't worth it, even if it prooved to do all the things it said...

But not to start a new thread, some people who posted here need a visit from the "sig powning Bindi monster ;)"

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I bought a few for £3 each the other day, and I seriously doubt that this is 45 times faster :D

9. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Wireless has this, its called WMM.

Although lets be honest, you wouldn't use wireless for serious gaming now, would you?

10. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Not until N comes out. 300MBps at the mo with pre n is still quick.

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I think all this "gamer" marketing crap is nothing more than refined bull****.

Say you do get this card - wouldn't the internet be a bottleneck? Say you do have a gigabit internet connection - wouldn't your PCI bus be a bottleneck?

Isn't current ethernet connections good enough for games? I seriously doubt that much data gets transfered in gaming. It's not like having a $300 network card is going to make you get any more kills. If you suck, you suck. If you're good at gaming, then you could get by with adequate hardware.

12. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

there will be a fatal1ty version next ffs :rolleyes:

13. Xavierthefirst

Xavierthefirst What's a Dremel?

Yer i agree gamers are suckers for something that "gaming" on the packet and especialy something that says "Fatal1ty"

14. stevie1556

stevie1556 What's a Dremel?

I'm a gamer, so go easy! I almost went pro in my slightly younger years, and at the tournaments that you go to, just using a decent network card over a LAN connection is all you need. If everyone is linked together like that, the bandwidth you get over the LAN is more than enough to ensure you don't suffer from lag.

At the moment, I've just started playing counter strike source, and you need around 50-60kbps to play it properly without any lag.

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

aparently, theres more to this card than just another NIC.

They've got a preview on [H]ardOCP. there's a small linix install on it, and a usb port for a mem card (or whatever) that allows for AV / Firewall etc.. to be installed to the card so you can add an extra layer of protection to your system.

I know it's being targeted at gamers, but I think there are other markets it would be better suited to be targeted at.

I do think $200+ is still a bit much though....

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That was a sort of a strange article. It sounded like more of a press release and a little of "Well, they told us that...". Not that I would ever consider one of these, but I'm curious to see the benchmarks now when someone gets their hands on actual hardware they can play with.