1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Streaming BBC internet content from overseas

Discussion in 'Software' started by neil_b, 29 Jul 2015.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

So, I'm about to go on holiday - Thursday, and renting an apartment in Greece. There is wifi in the apt, and connecting to the internet should be ok except that I think I may have problems streaming cricket commentary from the BBC web site, as think it detects that you're not in the UK and blocks the stream?

I can't access the server that the wifi is running off, and was planning on using my HTC one Android phone wifi for connecting to the internet (can't use data allowance for this). How can I out-manouvre the BBC non-UK blocking of the internet stream I want to access on my phone (via the wifi in the greek apartment)?

Many thanks....!

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Get yourself a VPN connection to the UK! :thumb:

Places like privateinternetaccess.com and the like should see you right.

3. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Unfortunately they don't seem to offer a Greek VPN?

4. jinq-sea

No no - they offer a VPN connection which gives you an IP in London, ergo it's exactly what you need! You don't need a Greek VPN, you need a UK VPN. You can configure the connection on your Android 'phone and it will appear to the BBC server that you are in the UK.

Connect to a VPN server in the country you want to look like you're in, not the country in which you are.

5. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Or do I actually need to be connecting to a UK VPN FROM my location in Greece??? Get confusing! I need the bbc website to think I'm connecting IN the UK...

6. jinq-sea

This. You need to have a UK IP, and the only (sensible) way to do that is to connect to a VPN server in the UK

7. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Got it - thanks.

8. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

I use PIA for streaming all the time when abroad and don't have any issues with buffering etc using iplayer / 4od.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Whats PIA?

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Pakistan International Airlines, of course. :lol:

11. jinq-sea

Or Private Internet Access, as above ;)

I've had a couple of PMs about this, one of which asked why this is alright but private torrent tracker threads aren't.

In essence, this isn't, by my understanding, directly enabling copyright infringement. Torrent trackers are. Copyright's a funny beast, and falls squarely within my day job - by my understanding there are suitable exceptions which are applied to a citizen of a country accessing media from such country whilst abroad. I've not got time to research this in detail to present a reasoned explanation, but in brief, this isn't a problem, but nicking copyright works online is.

Hope that makes sense. Ta :)

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah...so PIA is a VPN...riiiight.

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I got given a product called IP Vanish as part of a another internet subscription. Worked great for iplayer when I was out in HK for a work and didnt want to miss Masterchef!

14. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If all you want to do is listen to BBC radio, then you can listen live from any country without a VPN. The restrictions are around archived broadcasts and TV.