1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Streaming music from home pc to work pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nealieboyee, 16 Sep 2010.

1. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Hi All,
    So as the title says, I'd like to stream/access music to my work pc.

My pc at home has some 40GB of music, and is on 24/7. Is there any decent freeware for windows that will let me access it from my work pc?

Thanks in advance!!:thumb:

2. steel_viking

steel_viking What's a Dremel?

3. Nealieboyee

Sorry i forgot to mention. Both pc's are running XP 32-bit.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

5. Nealieboyee

Hi,
    I just found Logmein last night, and today tried it. It works great, but i think i just freaked my sister out. She thought my pc was possessed.

It allows you to share files, but its not straight forward. I'll have to dig a bit more.

@badders - Firefly looks nice, but do you have to have a server?

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

while logmein does work (use it myself for work too not audio though) its pretty bandwidth hungry

is your work ok with that ?

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You could use logmein hamachi to create a tunnel between the 2 machines and stream that way.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

USB hard drive? USB stick?

Copy -> leave at work?

The simplest methods are often the easiest.

9. Nealieboyee

Is my work ok with what?;)

How bandwidth hungry is it? Excessively?

@Bindi - Thats always a good option, but sometimes i forget mp3 player at work, and forget to take music with me. Besides that, i like to check my temps and see how orthos is doing. Paranoia - what can i say....

Thanks for all the replies guys. You've been very helpful.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2010
  10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Seriously, you might want to check that your work are happy for you to do this (mind you, if you ask they will probably say no!). If they have a big fat connection to the internet and a really good internal network they probably can cope with everyone in the office streaming music from their home PC's!

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If I was the BOFH at your work and was able to see streaming audio/video utilising (killing) the company network, I would kill it instantly and without hesitation. :eyebrow:

Years ago I worked for a charity and the staff thought it was okay to listen to streaming radio via the internet - until the public facing website was no longer accessible (it was before I got it externally hosted). In the end I bought, out of my own pocket, about a dozen cheap radio's so they could listen to them. It was cheaper than increasing the internet pipe.

Depending on your company, be careful that you are not breaching any employee terms & conditions which could lead to disciplinary action or worse, the sack. It is usually listed under "misuse of company resources".

Last edited: 17 Sep 2010
  13. Nealieboyee

Wow i didn't realise it was THAT bad! Like i asked before, how bandwidth hungry is it? What if i was only viewing the desktop and not streaming music?

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

From an ex-network admin point of view, a single stream wouldn't be network problem. The problem arises when everyone else can see it happening and jumps on the bandwagon. Again, viewing a remote desktop wouldn't be a network problem if your company has a real internet connection, assuming you can actually get through the firewall in the first place.

The reason for the underlines is that the problem could be that you could break a company rule, jeopardising your job.

If all you want to do is listen to your own music, simply buy an iPod. Failing that, an external USB hard drive that you can plug into your PC at work and play the music locally.

Job's are hard enough to find nowadays, is it worth the risk?

15. Nealieboyee

Yeah you're right fingers. Although i'm the only one besides my boss on our small server, i've seen people fired for less. I'll just use a usb stick then as bindi suggested. Having remote access to my pc was pretty cool though, even if only for a few mins to check temps during stressing etc.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Logmein will be the easiest and most likely to work for remote access and, because you are simply using a web browser, shouldn't breach any network security rules. The most they could accuse you of would be visiting a non-work related website.

17. Nealieboyee

Won't happen. They don't monitor traffic, and i'm really fast on the minimize button! Besides, it is work related - HOMEwork.