1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Striker Extreme E6300 nVidia 8800GTS system help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compmodder, 10 Jun 2007.

1. compmodder

compmodder New Member

Hello everyone. The title pretty much explains what parts i have, but below is a full list of it.

Asus Striker Extreme
    Intel E6300 1.86GHz stock
    nVidia SLi Ready DDR2 PC-8500 2GB kit (2 pcs. 1GB)
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
    Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA Hard Drive
    LG CD/DVD Multi Drive
    Ultra X-finity 500W Power Supply
    Blue Orb CPU cooler
    2-80mm intake fans
    2-80mm exhaust fans
    1-120mm exhaust fans

alrite...i think that covers everything. Very happy with my setup and spent many hours dealing with wire management. The striker comes with an overclocking utility called AI Booster. I have yet to oc the 8800 or the memory, but i have got it set at 279.52 x 7.0 givin me 1956.60MHz (1.96GHz) and 1118.06 FSB. My problem arises when running 3DMark06. At the current setting i have an average score of 7672. Temps run at 99degrees with the case open, and 107degrees with it closed. when i kick it up to 280 it turns off half way through CPU test 2.

i was wondering if i could get some help from anyone out there to oc my mem to work coincide with my chip. any help would be appreciated. if there is anyone who would like pictures of parts or whatever, drop me a line. so if any help is out there, please feel free to give :thumb:

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Clockgen is good.

just weird why you only have 1,94GHZ...should more likely be 2.94GHZ.

3. trig

trig god's little mistake

check your bios version, and may need to re-seat the heatsink

4. compmodder

compmodder New Member

alrite...thanks for the pointers.

atanum141: I'll give clockgen a try, seems easy enough

trig: as i feared, the blue orb actually sits ontop of the north and southbridge heatpipes allowing the cooler to touch the chip, but just barely. i may have to look into getting a new cooler or may turn towards watercooling

Also and update. Still only successful with an overclock to 1.96GHz for the chip, and not really looking into changing it. stock speeds for the 8800 are 550/792 @ 60deg and have only had 2 successful overclock speeds (without errors or lock ups or restarts) 580/925 @64 deg and 660/1000 @66deg. when i ran ATI Tool to find max's i was able to get max 649 for the core and max 1065 for the memory.

If anyone has any good clocks that might work please let me know. Also if the temps seem odd also let me know cuz i don't feel like frying $1400 worth of equipment.

5. trig

yeah..grab a zalman 9500 series...on sale now that the 7900's or w/e they are came out...those temps are outrageous

6. compmodder

compmodder New Member

Ahha!!! figured out the stupid bugger...figures that the AI Booster has somewhat of an internal lock or something that block the system from overclocking through it. I used the clockgen and as i speak 3DMark06 is running it at 2.2GHz. will let you all know how i make out.

Trig: Ya i dunno bout the air cooling much anymore, unless there is one out there that keeps temps very very low. lookin more towards the watercooling side of things.

So on a side note, if there is anyone who knows of some very good water cooling systems to cool vga and cpu that may or may not come with the ram sinks for the vga, lemme know.

Thx all

7. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 New Member

with a good air cooler temps should be between 10-20C above air temp

cpu should never be above 70C unless you are running a Presscot :)

water cooling in theory can bring a cpu to a few degrees above air temp

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd consider trying to make that HS fit properly on that mobo tbh, try bending any offending fins to make it fit. Those temps are very high, and probably not far off damagingly bad if they're true.

9. Tuppen^^

Tuppen^^ New Member

Do not use AI Booster.. It f***s with the system.. Bios is the only "safe" way to overclock.. Clockgen is also good for windows clocking

10. compmodder

compmodder New Member

Butcher9_9: thanks for the advice... good useful advice especially if i don't buy a kit.

Krikkit: i dunno bout that, lol. there's a lot of fins on the orb man, and i mod, but i don't mod to that extent.

Tuppen: ya i figured that out the hard way...lol. i am not sure if i should trust it for temps either, but i think i gotta use it for now cuz my ultra fan controller doesn't show the temps prop...ahem...i think i screwed up the sensors...i will have to ge some new one

ok, for the update. Because i work during the day, i can only oc at nite. so i am now running at 2155 MHz stable while running 3DMark06. I sorta gave up on the oc'ing of the graphics card, not having any luck with that (all the combinations i have tried either have too many errors, it locks up, or is not much of an improvement)

also clockgen just works at the moment, but to make it concrete i need to use those values to clock it in the BIOS.

i will let u all know how i come along. thanks for the comments and keep em coming

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It doesn't matter how many fins there are - CPU's shouldn't be running frequently at 100'C+, simple-as. Bend that mofo to fit, better that than buying a new cooler...

12. compmodder

compmodder New Member

well that's true, thinkin of goin WC anyway, so don't want to damage a perfectly good cooler. thx fo the advice.

Currently running smooth at 2165MHz , but dies at 2175 during CPU Test2.

13. compmodder

compmodder New Member

currently before i sleep: chip dies out at 107 degrees celsius.

***just thot i'd throw that out there***

14. Highland3r

Highland3r New Member

Switch the PC off and don't turn it back on until you get the temps sorted. You risk SERIOUS damage to your CPU and/or motherboard running the chip that hot.
    You'll probably be better off going back to the stock cooler.

The reason the pc's failing is down to CPU temps. The cpu should be good for 3ghz easy. Switch back to the stock sink, you'll get better temps as the sink will contact the CPU. It'll take all of 10 mins tops to switch over an might well save you the cost of a CPU :)

15. trig

omg
    thats awesome
    take pictures when it catches fire please...

16. compmodder

compmodder New Member

lol.....i will switch it back to stock ,but will only push it to 2.5GHz just to be safe, then when i work out what cooling i will be using, i will push it further.

Anyway, if anyone has any good ideas for water cooling systems, lemme know

Cheers!!!

17. compmodder

compmodder New Member

alrite...mini update.

I switched over to the stock fan until i get payed so i can go buy the new cooler. The new cooler that i am getting is the Ultra ChillTec Thermal Electric CPU Cooler. I can't wait to add it in to my system as all of the other fans and fan controller i have is also Ultra. Well i have only been able to go as high as 2.63GHz with the stock cooler. I am not sure but when i try to push it further through the BIOS it just doesn't post (the LCD on the back gets stuck at recognizing the RAM) Otherwise i am quite happy with the results.

I am a bit unhappy with the 3DMark06 score i am getting. I spent so much moola on high end parts and i getting s*** results =( Only getting result of 8468 3DMarks.

If any more comments are out there, feel free

18. compmodder

compmodder New Member

...got into a bit of an accident, so project put on hold for a while...money is also tight now for the repairs, so that cooler will have to wait

19. compmodder

compmodder New Member

ok...all is better now...the best WC system i have found is the Zalman Reserator 1 PLUS. I have run into alot of problems trying to oc properly with this **** chip and all the other good components, but don't feel like switching back to my crappy Celeron 351 3.2GHz, or buying a new one, so i am in it to the rough. I have also posted a new thread so comments are welcome there...http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1552824#post1552824

PLEASE COMMENT AS HELP IS QUITE NEEDED!!!

20. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Could be the striker tbh.