1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Stuck with P4, Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pliqu3011, 30 Oct 2010.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oh god, i cry when i fire up solidworks on my laptop when forced to go mobile, the Pentium M really can't cut the mustard with my parts and assemblies.

I would blow my brains out if i was forced back to a single core machine!

2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

That's an interesting analogy...
    And that's the problem: When I talk about it with my dad and I even mention playing games he assumes I will do nothing but gaming. Which isn't true! On my current pc I've tried running PS -> slow as hell (even Paint.NET for that matter). I wanted to make something with Blender -> Crash. I try to make some music with FL -> Crackles. (even after Digitaldunc's tip, which helped, but still...) Hell, even when I watch a video (SD, wouldn't even dream of watching HD) suddenly my pc decides to take a 5 min break. The sound goes on, but the images don't. :wallbash:
    I won't deny I also want to play some games, but it isn't my primary purpose. I mainly want to do all the "creative" stuff.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Sabotage the CPU cooler, unclip one of the retention clips (just one!) and fire it up, it'll hover at about 80*C idle, as soon as the PC has to do anything even half taxing it'll fall over and overheat. If that doesn't prove it's unstable, not sure what else will.

As for the arguments, don't mention gaming, at all. List all the reasons you have above. If he brings up gaming, just say "Yeah, I may play a few games on it".

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I don't know about your family but in mine we respect the concept of Mine & Yours. I don't mess with my parents' stuff without asking, and i expect them to do the same. And indeed they comply without problems.

Since you're implying that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a drooling socially retarded moron, could you explain what gives someone the right to take away your property? Teach me! I simply can't imagine that, regardless of how closely related the person is.

5. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

I in no way implied that! What I was saying is that, a parent DOES have the right to veto things a child spends their money on. I'm not saying a young adult, but a child. Not all households are the same and you are not in a position to pass judgements on other people's parenting. You ARE entitled do disagree with it of course.

I think you will find, should he ring the police, that they would have no say in the matter, because it is between the parent/guardian and the child, no laws are being broken. On the same note, the OP would not be breaking the law if he bought the computer anyway, but he would be acting against his father's wishes and create animosity. This is not a matter of the law, but of relationships.

The agreement is between you and your parents, because your parents trust your judgement enough, whereas the OP's parent obviously does not.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

...and that if i think otherwise i'm wrong. Vetoing i can live with, but "revoking" (by which i assumed you mean taking away the item that has already been purchased) kind of seems equal to theft or robbery to me. Can you explain why or how parents are entitled to this?
    But then i'd be wrong, evidently.

You bring up an interresting point here, i wonder why that is. Has daddy's boy been particularly naughty previously?

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

His parents can take it away because he is not off age yet. When you are under-age you don't "own" anything, your parents own your stuff and happens to be kind enough to lend it out to you.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I'd like to see where the law says that. I'm not aware of an age limit on posessions. What society expects or tolerates regarding family behavior is irrelevant. My logic tells me that if he's old enough to work and earn his own money he's also good to own his stuff that he buys.

Your opinion kind of shocks me, do you also think that parents should be allowed to beat their children?

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Okay, he might own it but his parents have every right to take it away and no, this is not my opinion, I simply state what his parents can do.

Ofcourse his dad is a POS for not letting him buy a new computer for himself.

11. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Quite right, he should simply allow his son to buy himself a new PC but put a 100% ban on him playing games on it, or restrict the hours he can play for (both easily verified). If that's his main argument for not upgrading.

As a parent, he the right to do this. Is it reasonable? In my opinion no, but it's still his right in the same way it's his right to force his children to eat their vegetables and clean their teeth.

When you stop being a child, and make your own way into the world then you get to write your own rules and in time set the rules for your own kids.

Until then...

It can be crap, but it doesn't last forever.

12. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Definitely do this. Assuming your moral compass isn't 'true north'.:thumb:

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

My friend, No problem,

When your dad's not home,

Buy a new motherboard, cpu, card, sound card, And fit them into the case,

Hell i put my dad in his place when i was 14, Make a stand!

14. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Because they are parents I guess, restriction of privileges is a reasonable punishment I would have thought. But then I would only personally take something away that I provided. I wouldn't take away what they bought with their own money, but then I pay the electricity bill and provide the roof etc, so I could feasibly remove the right to use it.

Not wrong, just of a different opinion.

OP! Did you earn the money? Or was it given to you?

That could be a game changer.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2010
  15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

+1, deception is not the way to solve problems like these.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, cut the power to his room lol
    Well he said he already has the money, but on a second thought that doesn't necessarily mean he earned it himself.

17. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Seeing how involved IT is with education i find your fathers attitude a bit of a shame.

Its not so much the specs of the machine that are a problem, you can get by on a old p4 for most tasks but its obviously starting to show its age in stability if its doing weird things like lagging in word on a clean install :geek:

Id sit down and reason with him a modern workhorse pc wouldn't cost allot and it would really make a difference on your day to day work and study.

Just because he is happy with a 2ghz p4 doesn't mean everyone should be stuck in the past. Also theres a difference between a stable p4 and a unstable p4 :nono:

18. Kenny79

Kenny79 I own a Dremel!

Or you could just pour a can of coke inside of it, then he'll have to buy you a new one.

Problem solved...

19. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

>Half of the budget I originally wanted to spend on this pc I earned myself. (If I went ION,etc. I would've earned it all myself)

Thanks everybody for your comments, they're all interesting though I don't think I will go with the option of destroying my current pc. (If I do, my dad will probably give me one of the other pc's in the house (same age or even older!). We really have a lot of computers in the house, they're all just >8y's old...:sigh:)

20. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Ahhh, lots of old pc's available... so if you simply let him know this one is unstable, then it's "ok son, you can take your pic from one of these beauties :naughty: They don't build them like that anymore :thumb:"

It would be pretty damn funny, if you covertly upgrade your current box, and then he gives it away to someone, replacing it with one of the old pc's :hehe: He'd be like "You mentioned your pc needed replacing son, so I gave you this one which not only is stable, but it also has a 40gb hdd :naughty:"

You might have to just man up and let him know that you are gonna build a new pc :dremel:
    btw, doing so will increase your epeen by 9000