1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Students Allowed to Curse at Teachers

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Arthur2Sheds, 31 Aug 2005.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just one more step towards total Chav culture in this country.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We're talking here about swearing at people. That is a completely different thing from using the f-word in a moment of frustration. Swearing at is an insult; a sign of aggression and disrespect.

But psychologically speaking (here we go again), it is a myth that we need to release our frustration or anger, lest we bottle it up and somehow increase our stress. In fact, often the best way to escalate and prolong feelings of frustration and anger is to go with it. Often the best way to contain and dissipate those feelings is to not go along with it but to respond in ways which are incompatible with anger (e.g. slow your breathing, relax your muscles etc.). Remember, they are only feelings, not physical pressures that need to "blow off" to prevent our head from exploding or something.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You put the same message as me in such a better way!

Anyway, I guess the idea behind this whole thing is to devalue swears. Make them common and therefore less offensive, but I don't think it'l work.

4. Nexxo

Yes, but this is swearing at. Example, if someone thumping you in the face becomes common practice, does it therefore become less offensive?

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

no, but swears dont actually harm you. People get de-sensitised to stuff. But it's a stupid idea I believe.

6. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Maybe not physically, but they can harm mentally. Personally, I hate, I mean absolutely abhore the "F word" and one referring to female anatomy.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hmm, fair enough. I dunno, I swear often so saying I think this is dumb may sound hypocritical. However, I can stop swearing in any given situation without any bother. I'll only swear around people who won't mind. I think if kids were like that there wouldnt be such a problem.

8. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Actually i believe ( as i read the newspaper article ) that this practice is used only with the more offensive classes ( you know the type, they get all the naughty kids shove em in a class so the teacher can have some fun.. ) They gave the WHOLE CLASS not each individual 5 chances of using a swear word, any more than 5 times and the class would have a 'talking to' at the end of the lesson...

Still think it is very wrong and it wont work..

9. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

it's not how it seems, all it is realy is because there 2 bad classes with pupils who swear in every sentance by nature, they are allow to swear upto 5 times if they reach the limit then their ass is kicked. It's like the warnings.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This is poor journalism like webbyman says

The actual scheme is this:

Kids swear in common talk, like in normal conversations and they don't realise how many times they do it or why they do it or even what they are saying.

So this scheme is basicly if a teacher over hears a child swear they will make a note of it.

At the end of the lesson the teacher will ask each child individually (hopefully) why they felt it appropriate to use those words, and so on.

If the child swears at the teacher they instantly get reprimanded with detention, continuous offenders get suspension.

This is only coming in because the parents are ignoring the schools pleas for help.

11. Nexxo

Better, but:
    Basic behaviour modification principles dictate that (negative) reinforcement needs to occur immediately after the behaviour occurs that you wish to modify. Waiting until the end of class will have little effect --by that time the kid will hardly recall that they swore, or why (particularly if it is a habit). The conditionling association will be lost.

12. DougEdey

I'm just saying exactly what the Headmaster of the school in question said on GMTV earlier in the week.

The presenter began by slamming him about letting kids swear at teachers and ended up looking pretty meek by what was said back to her

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, all I know about all this is that if I heard that my kids were swearing , especially at someone in authority, they would be getting a serious talking to and most likely a grounding. I don't condone swearing at all in my house by anyone. Well, let me qualify that - I don't condone anything worse than something like "oh hell" or similar. Maybe that's being a bit prudish or something but I believe in manners and respect and swearing defys both.

14. DougEdey

Same as what my parents say to me.

But when I'm in a pub swearing is used to emphasize emotions. We don't use it to insult people at all.

15. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Maybe it's because I'm a bit older, but I still have a problem with it. I don't like swearing in most any capacity and hope that when my kids are out and about, they take heed and at least limit their language. Please don't take offense to this, but when I hear people swearing, it just seems the more they swear, the lower their grasp on proper language they have.

16. DougEdey

No offense taken, I do know my english language and I don't swear on the high street. As I say its only in pubs, emphasizing shock and so on.

(Got A/A* in my english lit and lang GCSE)

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I agree with Dad on this one, and I'm 17. Although I'm not really offended/bothered in most cases, I still find it extremely rude when people are swearing in a public place. If you're with your friends, whatever, but if you're at a mall or something where there are a lot of people present, keep it to yourself. My mom's quite sensitive about it. My dad probably wouldn't really care, but as I simply don't swear around the house I'd probably at least get a dirty look if I started. If I'm with people I know don't care then I'm not bothered, though I tend to keep it much more civil than most people.

18. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I just limit or keep it to a minimum when at home however when watching football I do tend to let a few words slip :duh:

I don't swear at classes however with friends I do but of course I do it quietly and don't make it obvious to other people present.

Chinese people here frequently use the word "diu" alot, it is basically the same meaning for the F word.

You come to a football pitch here and everyone will use that word literally everytime something happens, missed shot. Personally I can't stand the locals they're quite annoying and like to talk behind peoples back. However they are quite thick and ignorant thinking because I look like a white person I can't understand Chinese, really stupid.

19. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

The Daily Mail, what a bastion of journalism.

20. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

cusrsing teachers is mad, it shows no respect and if allowed to do it at school it wont stop people doing it to any one, very often a teahcer is the only authoritie figure a person can ahve at times

Phil