1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Stupidest things you've done, or seen, when building PCs

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-16, 10 Aug 2016.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I guess some kind of autocorrect got to "sleeVing"

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I know, otherwise i would have left it without a smilie.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Decided not to share after all.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2016
  4. Journeyer

Journeyer Well-Known Member

I'm sure I have done many stupid Things while building computers over the years, but only two stick out in my memory as fundamentally dumb. I've been building computers since the mid-nineties, so I should have a fairly good grasp of what I'm doing. Right? RIGHT?

Now this happened a few years ago, I had just acquired a New GTX285 to run it in SLI along With the other 285 I had at the time. I was also going to WC both of them. First mistake was buying a Matrix 285 without checking if any WC-Blocks would fit it. None would, but I managed to make one fit eventually. So after assembling everything I was ready to boot up the system and get my game on. I forgot to tighten the clamps to the WC-Blocks on one of the Cards and watched in disbelief while water flooded into my naked system. Luckily I had not Powered up the system at the time. Draining the Cards, drying them and reassembly a couple of days later and everything still worked. Phew.

A good few years earlier I had just started experimenting With watercooling, and WC was just starting to gain traction in the PC market. I built a giant bong-cooler for my T-bird 1200 and hooked everything up With garden hose. Long story short and a couple of days later I had a dead Geforce card, a dead SCSI card and two dead SCSI harddrives (the SoundBlaster survived though). FUN!

5. Yaka

Yaka Well-Known Member

few years ago i got some super soaker water pistol for my 2 boys and 3 nieces from a sale on the same day was building a spanking x58 rig with geforce 480sli and 32gb ddr ram as it was sunny it kids were out side blasting away and everything was bare ready for spiffy new water blocks on the kitchen worktops and dining table. had to nip away for 15 mins and pick up my dad up. when i got back everything was drenched and soaking wet. seems he kids used it all for target practice. everything was b0rked only the intel ssd survived even tho it was dripping wet.

never told anyone but i cried my self to sleep that night

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Must be a curse because when I was changing out my CPU once on my old X58 rig I tucked the 8 pin EPS out of the way and when I moved it swung down and twatted the pins. Game over, as some had snapped :(

7. Bazz

Bazz Bit of everything geek

I did the classic with a coffee cup.....................

So, there I was trying to rebuild my media pc, going in for it's yearly clean etc.
    It was late at night, but thought of 'I must finish it before I go to sleep' came across.
    So a smoke in mouth, fresh cuppa, I soldiered on.
    I was hovering over the case on the floor after initial power up test, dropped the smoke in my lap, sh!t myself, cup in left hand dropped the cup right into the case.

Considering I drenched and crushed the board I did quite well, my misses is the only that used it for recording 'tons' of stuff, she paid out for a replacement.

Second time round, I was alone, no smokes, no coffee nothing, even used plastic screwdrivers - I was scared.

That's the worst, but done many like others.

8. Xlog

Xlog Active Member

How did you managed to put 32Gb of ram in x58?
    Was it plugged in? If yes, then the kids came very close to wining Darwin award, if no - it should have survived, you prob powered it too soon.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Saw a YouTube video of a build log and they guy forgot to put in the blanking plates on the other side of his GPU Waterbeck. Needless to say, his machine was doused in blue water.