1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Sub £100 graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FearlessFred, 9 Jun 2010.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Those calculators are ****, you want real power measurements get a wall meter and plug it in. Every thing else is cover your own arse over estimation.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Let's take a GTX285 as a 'standard' card and add in an overclocked i7 965: results
    A 500W PSU will handle that fine even with 10% degradation.

I will however agree with you about buying a bigger PSU simply for peace of mind.

3. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I wasn't satisfied with that and decided to do my own tests with my own kit, which consists of:

i7 920 overclocked to 4.3GHz (air cooling)
    HD 5870 overclocked to 925/1250 (stock cooler)

I got this result:

[​IMG]

Now, this is at the plug where you'll see the inefficiency of the PSU instead of the power draw of the components.

Thanfully, Corsair publishes the efficiency rating of all their products on their website. At 45% load, I should be looking for efficiency of 86.5%.

[​IMG]

That implies that my PC was using 443.23w at full load (the loading I used was folding on the CPU and furmark for the GPU because until GPUv3 Folding@Home won't be able to fully stress ATI gpus). If we take our middle-of-the-line 500w PSU which has suffered a conservative 10% capacitor degradation in the three years in which I have owned it, that's 443.23 out of the 460-ish w that it can supposedly supply. Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on that.

That's especially worrying since my GPU isn't even particularly power hungry, even when overclocked. Contrast it to the GTX480, which pulls up to a hundred watts more from the wall at full load.

4. FearlessFred

FearlessFred What's a Dremel?

correct

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

@FearlessFred

Did you actually decide on a card yet or did this make it worse

6. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

7. FearlessFred

FearlessFred What's a Dremel?