1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Sub Box

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkLord7854, 11 May 2006.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Ok well following this post (clicky)

I just received the second set of Z-340 Logitech speakers (clicky)

So now for the real thing. I've found that, to my great surprise, the new speakers sound a good 15% louder and have a good 35% richer sound output then my other Z-340 speaker set. Could be due to the fact that the sub box for the second set has already been ripped apart and left with the sub speaker itself, the power supply and the amp, don't know much about speakers.

Ok, well what I want to ask is, I want to integrate the two subwoofer speakers & power supplies & amps into one box, I won't be changing any of the wireing or anything, just making the whole thing in one box.
    Now what I want to ask, what sort of design, interior building should I do? What tools, materials,... will I need?

2. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

your best bet is to visit a car forum, cause im sure more rice racers build sub boxes then pc modders ;p

3. DarkLord7854

Ah, thanks for the tip ;)

4. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

with woofers that small you should be fine making your box out of .75" MDF board (medium density fiberboard) you probably wont need any bracing. Check the air specifications for each driver and apply that to your design. Mount your amps so that murphys law can be neglected. What ever you do make sure that whatever the subs are in is COMPLETELY sealed so youre gonna want to pick up a tube of liquid nails as well. Should you choose to port your subs may i highly suggest aero ports they can be found at www.realmofexcursion.com for pretty cheap

5. DarkLord7854

Cool cool, thanks for the advice :D

I'll get to work on them soon as summer vacation hits (next friday yay) :D

6. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

if you were starting it this week i would offer to help you out ( im in miami right now) but ill be returning home on sunday then im going to do a project similar to this as soon as i get home.

7. DarkLord7854

Ah, thanks for offering, well I should start it on saturday (the 27th), but I don't have any of the materials or tools and no budget as of now, so it's gonna take me a few more weeks before I can start it since I need the supplies first ;)

8. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

PM micb or samuelellis

9. micb

micb Minimodder

So you have 2 sets 340's and you want to integrate 2 of the subs together in one common enclosure?

Well the basic idea would be measure the external measurements of the single 340 sub box (in inches), then measure the thickness of the walls of the sub box. You remove the thickness of the sides off the external dimentions then that will give you a rough internal dimentions.

Times those internal dimentions together to give you total cubic inches. Take that magic number and divide it by 1728 to give you a square cubic ft of airspace.

Then you build the new enclosure to give the correct internal net airspace.

Are the 340 ported?

If so then you will need to remove the old ports and put them in the new enclosure, if you don't have the both the vents then that is where it will get tricky as we might have to do some enclosure calulations to create a new port or ports for the new enclosure.

I can help you with dimentions and calcualtions if you want.

10. DarkLord7854

Thank you for the detailed post, helps a great deal :D

The subwoofers aren't ported so there's no need to worry about that. However, the plastic/rubber disk (don't know what it's called) that is enclosed behind the grill at the front of subwoofer box, one of them was slightly damaged in a way that I can't re-attach it to something else. Is that going to have any effect on the sound?

Thank you :)

11. micb

micb Minimodder

Plastic rubber disk? What size is it? Could I see a picture?

You dont mean mean the main speaker driver so you?

Is it an additional speaker cone that is not actually powered? If so that would a Passive radaitor.