1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Sudden GPU price rocket?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BU5H W00K1E, 9 Jan 2018.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Oh it wasn't a stab at OCUK in particular - I'm sure it's the same story everywhere - more of a shot at the state of affairs in general. When was the last time we got so little performance for the money?!

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is the same all over the planet, the only cheap listings are either from dodgy sellers on the bay of flea / amazon marketplace or if at legitimate shops then with no signs of stock.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Netburst. Probably.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  4. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

Asus has discontinued the strix cards

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Source? There's nothing that springs up in my news feed regarding such a claim, only that some people misunderstood what was said by various retailers.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Aye the price of RDRAM !! and you needed the sodding CRIMMs as well, for any empty banks.

7. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

Maybe I’m one of them. I had auto notify on strix cards,mostly 1080 and 1080 ti and I got emails and they all said they were discontinued

8. Vault-Tec

I know we had the discussion about Ampere and shrinking being very expensive but I still think it is close..

Gareth pointed out what it costs, velly spenny. However, he also pointed out that Intel could not just sit back and rest on their laurels after Sandy, which was why they kept releasing year after year. It has now been a bloody long time since the 1080 and I would imagine Nvidia are going to want a surge in sales. They are not going to get it from people who already have a 1080 or better so they need something else.. I reckon Ampere is close. All of the signs are there. Plus they know full bloody well that 99% of their audience will lose their friggin minds over Ampere and buy it even if it was a whisker faster than Pascal. Even more so than the Intel lot.

If you visit any graphics card area of any very busy forum you will see that gamers are bored. Discussion is very low, and mostly complaining about cheap end cards being far too expensive. They need to feed their fanboys, IMO.

9. TheMadDutchDude

They are discontinued from sale, dude, not from production. They’re taking them down from their sites because of the lack of stock.

10. Vault-Tec

We don't know the genuine answer to that. You could be right, I could be right. Unless any of the companies want to break NDA we won't know for now. Why would you EOL nearly every 1080Ti if there was a possibility you were getting more? why not just "OOS" it. That is the part that makes me wonder.

Saying EOL? basically means the person looking for one won't come back to you to look again.

I think it's close. But, just an opinion so take with grain of salt.

11. TheMadDutchDude

Yeah, you’re right. We could both be right or wrong.

I’ll try to pester some contacts and see what I can find out. :D

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Well, some people are expecting nvidia to announce something at GDC (which happens in late march), but if they actually announced something there that would mean maybe may for reference card stock and summer for stock of custom cards with a working cooler, so it would be far too early to cull the old cards that are still selling at hugely inflated prices, after all its not like they are sitting on a huge pile of unsold cards.

Meanwhile AMD has openly admitted that it won't launch any conpetitive high end GPU in 2018.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1223...led-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm/9

13. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I really hope the crypto currency bubble pops. I would not mind if ebay was suddenly flooded with cheap RAM and GPUs.

14. TheMadDutchDude

RAM is not entirely the miners fault. The GPUs are, though.

Miners only use about 4GB per machine as any more doesn’t speed anything up, and therefore is wasted. The price of RAM being what it is stems from the fact that they’ve slowed production down whilst the demand is going up. At least that’s why I recall from a while ago, I could be mistaken.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The mining thing is probably contributing to the RAM shortages though as GDDR comes (afaik) from the same places that DDR and NAND comes from, that's not to say if the bubble burst we'd see prices of DDR collapse but it would be one less thing on the demand side of the equation.

16. RedFlames

RAM/SSDs is Apple's fault.

...sort of. Most of the production is going towrds high-end smartphones.

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I got a notification email from CCL to say that the 1080 cheesecake was back in stock. 750 of your finest pounds. I have a spreadsheet on my phone where I'd been working out the cost of card+block+backplate for a possible upgrade which I did on the 16th Jan. Cost then was 550. Shocking. Just shocking.

18. TheMadDutchDude

I guess my place of work is contributing to the SSD shortage. We have a few thousand laying around. LOL. :D

Oh. Every machine we send out has an i7 and an SSD. All it does is distribute lotto tickets. It’s frankly amazing. XD

19. RedFlames

Thinks that will contribute to GPU prices being daft money #812...

GlobalWafers and SUMCO [both major makers of silicon wafers] have [SUMCO, back in November iirc] or are about to about to [GlobalWafers] jack wafer prices up by 20%...

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'd be surprised if the cost of blank silicon wafers made up more than 5% of the cost involved in fabricating so while it's not helping the situation it's unlikely to have much effect on the end price.