1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Suggestions for an SSD for Macbook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popcornuk1983, 8 Mar 2011.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hello all,

I'm finally taking the plunge and buying myself a SSD. Thing is, I've not been keeping updated on SSD's and I'm totally lost. There is just so much to choose from. And every site I seem to visit tells me something different.

I'm planning on using the SSD as my main OS drive on my Macbook 13 inch (2010 version). Anyone already upgraded their Macbook or iMac? If so which would you suggest? I'm needing at least 120Gb to make it worthwhile having as a main drive. I will be using an external HD for storage.

I'm not worried about OSX not officially supporting TRIM at the momment as:

A. Bit-techs own article on TRIM performance showed that OSX didn't suffer the problems that pre windows 7 machines have.

B. TRIM support is coming in OSX Lion this summer.

Any suggestions would be braw! Thanks :)

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Just get a decent one - Crucial C300 series are a good place to start - in the capacity you want. Don't worry about the newest generation of SSDs, as your MacBook won't be able to run at that speed.

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Well-Known Member

Best bet is probably a sandforce drive like the Vertex 2E. It's not reliant on trim, and anything faster will be wasted as your computer can't handle it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

popcornuk1983 likes this.
  4. Picky88

Picky88 New Member

I would imagine the macbook has sata II connection speed, therefore you wont get claimed speeds from a sata III drive.

5. popcornuk1983

Yeah the Macbook is SATAII only. I knew that I wouldn't get the claimed read/write speeds but It's going to be a hell of a lot faster than my current 4000rpm HD.

The difference in performance is crazy. The video link here is of a guy who installed a SSD back in 2009 with his Macbook. The speed of the apps opening and his XBench HD test blew my 2010 Macbook out the water! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJzzHQzybY&feature=related

Decided to go for this - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225416

+1 to r3loaded

Last edited: 8 Mar 2011
  6. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

It's cheaper here.

And... unless you've done it before, if you follow this thread, you can get free carriage from Scan.

The only thing I would caution about with Vertex 2Es is that OCZ appear to have made some of the later batches using a 25nm process and this has slightly reduced potential life-span. Will find the relevant OCZ forum posts if I can.

The Vertex 3 is out very soon, say may cause the Vertex 2 to drop in price... and even if you buy a SATA III SSD and don't benefit the from the performance now, you might migrate it to something else in a couple of years and get the benefit then.

7. popcornuk1983

Haha feck. Order already processed on ebuyer. Slap to the face for not shopping around. I had buyers goggles on. I SEE I WANT!!!! MWAHAHAHA!