1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Suggestions for the new website - Resistor calculator.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by japala, 20 Mar 2007.

1. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

I could use your help on this one. I recently launched a website dedicated to a resistor counter for leds. There are some code fixes to be made to the Guru part (high led countes make it bit unstable) but if you can look past that, what are the features you would like to see added to it?

Current version can be found at http://www.ledcalc.com/

Last edited: 20 Mar 2007
  2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Yours has a basic fault in that if you say you want to run six 2V leds @ 20mA on a 12V supply it gives you a series string with a zero ohm resistor (or the nearest, 1R). And the same for 5mA or 50mA.

Be an idea to always leave at least 1V headroom for some current control. ;)

3. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

The calculator started out as an ohm's law demonstration. It doesn't try to follow the "best practices" as there would be several to choose from. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to add a separate portion to the page that could explain more in detail what one should take into account when dealing with leds. Thank you for the feedback.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nice to see the calc now has a dedicated URL instead of always having to go through metku.net and clicking and browsing :)

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Thats pretty neat :)

will save the modders some time who don't want to learn some basic ohms law.

6. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Thanks, hopefully people will start to use it. It is not that hard to do R=U/I but even for me it is sometimes faster to enter the site and use the calculator. :)

7. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Added some more items that get calculated and I believe it is now even more useful. I had some requests about the total current consumption of the circuits and it was the first thing that got added.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

[​IMG]
    32 LEDs at 1V with 32V supply wanting 20mA.
    Nice calculator though. Very useful.

9. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Yes, I'm debugging the drawing part for larger number of leds. I believe I have to make it so that it doesn't try to show all the leds but for example first and the last in the string and only a number between them to indicate all the leds that should be placed between them...