1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Suggestions on buying a 'quality' office chair?

Discussion in 'General' started by kissinger, 19 Nov 2013.

1. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

I'm really sick of my cheapo old 'executive' office chair. I can't sit on this thing without slouching and it makes me feel like this:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm looking to spend some money on a decent chair which I can keep for a while. I can't stretch to a Herman Miller or something like that. In fact, I'm probably going to go second hand to get more 'bang for buck'. The models I'm currently looking at are, in tentative order of preference:

Orangebox ARA-EBA

Humanscale Freedom

Steelcase Leap

Based on my limited knowledge, they are all comparable chairs, both in terms of quality and price, and should be obtainable for less than £200 second hand, which is my max budget.

Any thoughts whatsoever appreciated.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2013
  2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Go to an office supplier, tell them your budget and sit on some chairs.

I needed a new one in early this year, sitting is much better than catalogue/internet and I ended up spending about £250 (slightly over budget) for a really good chair. It's worth being charming and haggling a bit too.

3. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

That's good advice, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go anywhere in person.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If you can, get one of these. They may not be the most stylish, but they dam sure are comfortable. Adjustable in every way imaginable and the adjustable lumbar support lets you get the backrest juuuust right.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's the one I bought!

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You can pick up a used Herman Miller Aeron for about £300,-- to £350,--. Because they are so expensive new, there is a teeming trade in used office surplus ones.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

At last! My long lost chair brother.:waah:
    Been having problems at my new work getting them to get me one of those as the chairs they have are shonkey as hell and playing my shoulder up. The facilities manager has been making a joke of it, but i had a 'new employee survey' with hr last friday. They were not pressed that that 5 months of asking has got me nothing, so should be in the pipelines soon. :D

8. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Bit too expensive for me mate. I have to keep it sub-£200. I'm thinking I should be able to get a Steelcase Leap V2 for that, which a lot of people reckon is comparable to the Aeron.