1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide an Act of War?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Lynx, 11 Jun 2006.

1. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

As has been widely reported in the media three detainees have commited suicide at Guantanimo Bay. The American official responce is:

Thanks to news.bbc.co.uk for the quote.

How can a suicide be an act of war this is proposterous and frankly an insult to those people who have not been charged or put on trial for any crime as well as any rational person.

Full story here (news.bbc.co.uk)

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

To show the world (and most of all the US people) how things work in Guantanamo. The people who are being held in Guantanamo are there without respecting their rights (no fair trials and stuff).

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That statememnt is a justification. What the spokescritter is trying to say is that "these people did not kill themselves because we're holding them in isolation for crimes they have never been charged with, not because they have endured torture, not because we never plan to release them, but because they hate us". I think this is a pretty accurate reflection of how the administration views the Gitmo "detainees", as sub-humans incapable of rational thought who live for no other purpose than to hurt America. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more suicides take place at Gitmo.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This is wrong. How can someone committing suicide on their own, without any agressive action be an act of "Asymmetrical Warfare". What a crock of ****.

Gitmo isn't right, it isn't legal, and it's not doing the U.S. any favours in winning over the Muslim communities of the world.

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

On the television news today they stressed the fact that this is the fist time a suicide succeeds, not the first time one was attempted.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No surprises here. We all know that in order to feel OK with running a place like Gitmo, you have to have psychological defenses a bit on the level of delusional psychopathy, really. Another interesting insight into the functioning of the current U.S. administration...

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Does the US administration function then? ;) Better would be "Another interesting insight into the disfunctioning of the current U.S. administration..." ;)

EDIT: w00t 666th post, and this in such an evil thread ;)

Last edited: 11 Jun 2006
  8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

bah, if they wanted to make it political they should have had a hunger strike. Lazy way out is suicide.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

On the news here in Belgium it was mentioned that all previous actions (and including hunger strikes) bave been idle'd (I hope that's the correct way of saying it) by the prison guards.

10. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Hmm, there's a horrific example of prisoner abuse. I feel physically sick that as a civilised nation the US allows this to happen. :sigh:

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well in all reality, I wouldn't be surprised if most world powers have some sort of concentration camp like gitmo (in fact, I'd be more surprised if they don't). Gitmo and it's goings-on weren't supposed to be public knowledge, it just got leaked much to the displeasure of the US Gov't. We "need" some method of "protecting our citizens" for the sake of "national security", even if that method is against all laws of humanity. What's a few cases of severe prisoner abuse if it "protects" the general population?

Of course, power corrupts and it's been proven time and time again. Anyone else familiar with that prison experiment (can't remember the name, but it only lasted about six days)? Within a day, the "guards" had become completely corrupted because one of them wanted to see how far they could push it before someone stepped in. The man administering the experiment didn't even realize how far it was going until his girlfriend came to check things out and was completely horrified. One of those things where when rights are taken away (relatively) slowly you tend to not notice, but if they're all gone at once (as was the case from the gf's observation) then you get this system shock and outcries of sorts.

So, in short, the gov't's claim that their suicide was an act of war seems to be complete cover-up BS. The prisoners knew perfectly well that they weren't getting out and would continue to be abused. The fact that people found out that they were driven to suicide from their abuse was really just a bonus, as it makes more people question the existance of such a location.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Ursula K Le Guin wrote a short story, The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
    That's America today. But most of the citizens are blocking their ears to the truth. The camp commandant's "theory" will be received by nodding heads nationwide; as Abe Lincoln said, "You can fool some of the people all of the time". And as another American politician, Harry Truman, said, "If you can't convince them, confuse them" which will cover another large fraction.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think the US gave up it's claim to being a civilized nation some time back. Probably about the same time that most of it's citizens traded their free will and voice for a TV and 3000 channels. :rolleyes:

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

When it comes to selling your soul, it's a buyer's market...

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, I think this old dude was attemping to somehow..I dunno, explain away the deed. Make it sound ok. Of course there'll be a fair few Americans who swallow it, just like they swallow anything they're told, but it's really backfired in the rest of the world.

It's highlighted such an important issue too.

Have to agree, it seems more and more barbarous every day.