1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Summer job help

Discussion in 'General' started by Gundam-X, 2 Jun 2009.

1. Gundam-X

Gundam-X Who is Dremel?

I am 16 always loved fiddling and playing about wiht computers, love building them.

Don't worry am not asking for a job here.

I wanted to drop in a computing shop near my built and see about a summer job (Creative Computing)

I have no idea how I would go about this or what to say when I walk in etc.

There email does not work and i thought I could make a good impression by going in and asking.

Also :S my friend saids he might try and get the job coz' i said i was going. But he knows nothing about them! Although he has a custom pc I was the one that built it.

Also his dad has money :'(

Please help and sorry I sound pathetic hmph lol ;)

Thanks in advance

2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Do you have a CV? First port of call is to drop in, ask if they have any job vacancies, if so, ask if you can hand them your CV and be considered.
    If their email isn't working maybe tell them as a sort of, passing comment, when you hand them your CV.
    If you want a job at the moment, you gotta have a lot of CVs and try a lot of places!
    I'm 18 so was in a similar position, the only reason I got a job is because a new shop opened up in my neighbourhood and the manager loved me (I'm not being big headed, really)

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Just go in and ask them if they're hiring presuming this is a small shop and not a chain otherwise I'd go for a more formal approach. I'm not sure how the computer repair industry's doing atm.

4. Gundam-X

Gundam-X Who is Dremel?

Thank you for advice. I am going to make a CV ;)

5. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Since you're 16 I doubt you have much work experience or qualifications to put on a CV? Hand in a covering letter with it, that's more important. Explain what sort of job you're looking for, and why you'd be good at it.

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

You can always put down that your also active on pc forums always reading and being up to date with technical knowledge and facts about hardware and software, so if a customer were to come in you can recommend never hardware, or know what your actually talking about. You can also put down any sort of community service that you have done, and its even better if it relates to any sort of communication skills / retail / computers.

Good luck!

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

+1
    I only got my job in a small computer repair/sales shop because I did work experience there.

Also: The computer repair industry is not being hit that badly by the recession, because nobody wants to buy a new one any more, they just try and fix their old ones, up to a point :)

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Same with electronics repairs, I'm working as a technician for my dad's shop(well very very part time) and we've had quite a few units come in daily.

Of course I fiddle with the computers.

9. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

You could ask if you can volunteer there for a day to see if 1) you like it and 2) to show them your willing to commit and learn and show them what you can do...

Hint though, be honest, don't try to say you know things you dont, as its better to admit you don't know something than rambling on trying to play it off like you do

jhanlon303 likes this.
  10. The_Norwegian

The_Norwegian Owls R' Us

Id have to say, not to be a downer, or not that you would personaly care much, but, IF you did get the job,that is to say they over look age, highschool education, collage education, that they probably wouldn't employ you to work on any of the computers.

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I've been in IT for 30+ years. No one can know everything. This is probably the best advice I've heard on a BT thread.

+rep for this.

john

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Give Stephen Fry a wikiedia link and...

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

No need, I think he knows it all already. :rock:

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

He's probably lurking fuming about that typo I made. :rolleyes:

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well without experience he's not going to care about what you know.. they just don't want a ***** working with them.. just go in there and be on your best behavior- be honest