1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Summer Mods

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wharrad, 12 May 2006.

1. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Hey people,

OK, it feels like summer here in the UK - no doubt it's lies and rain will soon be back. However, with this in mind, lets see your summer modding ideas? It's a move away from just computer tech, but that's why dremmel skills are so useful right?

To start the ball rolling...

THE CONI-FI

I like a few friends around for a BBQ and drinks this time of year, but my neighbours are increasingly unimpressed with me leaving my Hi-Fi on really loud and the windows open, to solve this dilema outdoor speakers were needed.

Now, I don't mind about sound quality in this case - all that really matters is the knowledge that they'll probably only last one season with the weather, so cheap and replaceable was important.

First stop - ebay. Picked up a Sonic T-Amp for cheap. Apparently I hear that they produce great sound quality for the price, but never tried it with my good speakers. Does the job more than well.

Next - Richersounds. Cheapest satelite speakers there. They're small, can handle 10 watts (which should be good enough) and most importantly CHEEP.

Finally - Focus DIY. Picked up a wooden plant pot and some Conifurs (sp?) that looked pretty to put in them.

Now with the modding. Rather than type forever so you get bored, let the pictures do the talking...

Put in cable...

[​IMG]

Wrap with a modders best friend - Duck Tape (Duck's better than Duct right?) It adds a little extra waterproof/soil proof protection...

[​IMG]

Cut some speaker sized holes in your wooden plant pot...

[​IMG]

Tape in the speaker...

[​IMG]

Cover in a bin liner - back to a small amount of waterproofing...

[​IMG]

Add plants and repeat for how many speakers you want (personally only needed 2)

[​IMG]

Bury the speaker cable under soil or stones and run it through whatever window you can (thankfully this place is soooo old the windows lock with cables running through them).

Find a computer which is always on and connect the amp up to it. Used my server for this one, more than powerful enough for winamp. The system should now work...

[​IMG]

'HOW TO YOU CONTROL IT?' I hear you cry? Well, winamp's great, been using it for as long as I can remember. There's a plug-in which lets you remote control the player/play lists from a web page (called AjaxAMP I believe). Now I would post a link to this webpage for an explianation, but don't want people complaining because one of you 'happy-go-lucky scamps' decided that death metal in my garden at 4am was a good idea!

Anyway, that now means I can wirelessly control the speakers using my laptop across the LAN in the garden - so no more walking in and out of the house.

Cheap outdoor lighting to follow! (when there's time)

Your go!

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Great idea!

Luckily we have sash windows so easy to open up and blash music outside.

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

you could also grab a mobile phone and use bluetooth to control Foobar/Winamp...that what i do :)

4. harvy

harvy Minimodder

or use salling clicker- that way you can control almost any soft if you can find the scripts. nativly supports itunes and wmp, scripts for winamp are available from their website.

5. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

OOOO, good plan! Played with something called FMA that did the bluetooth thing, completely forgot about that!

6. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah, fma is what i use :) supports just about everything i can think of :)

7. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

two computers in the kitchen.....NICE

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice job! :)

9. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Buy a Logitech Media Pro 2 keyboard and mouse like me, then you have controls on the keyboatrd and media pad. The media pad has a nice little LCD screen which will let you see whats playing. Useful as mine streches around my house.

Like the idea, might be doing this myself if I move to a new place.

I will be doing a mod very soon, so watch this space.

Regards
    GiGo