1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Work

Discussion in 'General' started by atanum141, 7 Jun 2006.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Lo Chaps!

Well its that time of year where we can look forward to some overtime and paid Holidays from our work places, but sadly this wont be happening for me.

To cut a long story short my company i work for will be closing my store for a period for roughly 1.5/2 months starting July for an entire store refurbishment.

Now this is a good thing as our shop was bought from the "Gap" company and only had £170,000 spent on minor upgrades and general work, so it will be nice to see that we can work in a nice new shop.

So here is my dilema, as we are closing the store it may not need all its staff working in the other company stores, so many people will be sorta left out of work for 2 months.

We will have the choice to take paid holiday but im only choosing 2weeks as i want to hold the other 2 inhand.

So as ill be out of work and only getting paid the bare minimum what shall i do?

I need to find work for a month or so that pays well and lasts only for a month or so.

Anyone got any idea's?

2. fev

fev Industry Fallout

temps agency, and keep on at them i email mine daily and she rang today saying that something might be coming up

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Barwork.

Students go home over summer, bars are staffed by students.

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

marquee firms are great for this time of year.

5. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Well, what can you do?

6. atanum141

marquee firms? wossat?

I used to work for Weatherspoons a few years back, i dont think i wanna do it again.

Well i will just finish my degree in a few weeks time!
    Also that I have 3years Retail experiance and over 2years of customer service expreiance.

ummm other than that i donno what i could apply for.
    Ill be off to the temp agencies this afternoon so ill have a look then.

7. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Sounds like companies that rent out big tents for poeple with large gardens who want a party/wedding receoption/etc.

I here TalkTalk's customer support center is pretty busy these days :)

8. atanum141

yeah i like ur suggestions Simon but i only need the job for a month or 2, so anything long term aint a possibility.

9. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I work for a hospitality company called Creative Events, we do alot of work at Earls Court and stuff. We are doing Ascot and V fest this year.

They take 80% of their staff from agencies, so your best bet is to apply to an agency.

10. atanum141

whats the pay like? and how u get payed?

11. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

The pay is £5 after tax, but you can claim tax back if your a student.

I know iti s minimum but it is good for me because I work alot of high-cred events which means it will be easier for me to get a job when I am in sheffield at the end of the year!

I get paid cash in hand, but I think agency workers get it from their agencies!

12. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

you could sell your @ss behind the busstation I heared that pays pretty good.

These agencies give you a call whenever they need people to work for companies that are listed with them. They pay you for each hour you work just like any normal type of work would. But these things are mostly used in bars and restaurants so you will most likely not get payed alot but maybe you could make a nice bonus on tip-money?

You could try and look if the local taxi companies have work.It pays okey and you only need to drive so it is pretty much "plug and play" with means you can start soon and quit whenever you feel like it.

GreetZ
    Nick

*edit man I type slow

13. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

offer yourself as a sex slave for the unfortunate.

or alternatively, go work in a hotel bar... they are always well paid but not as hectic as mainstream bars.

14. Springs

Springs Boing boing

goto reed and see what they have... i work in a cashcenter and most of us are agency ppl... get payed weekly and all most ppl do is sit and count money :D and i do believe there is one in london as we send money there daily..

also you dont have to work there long... all i have to do is give a weeks notice and say bye bye a week later..

15. Strategy

Strategy Banned

Factory work? Dead end work, but pay is ok (£300/400 a week round these aprts) and you can start and quit whenever you like.

16. atanum141

Well i had a look on reed, ive applyed to some 4week retail jobs.See what they say but i could do some hospitability jobs like Tibby.....sounds interesting.

17. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Not all bars are like spoons.... most are worse!

Just kidding, places i worked were great but they were both rock pubs, first one i left because the manager was a twunt...

18. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Paper round.

If you're desperate enough, you'll work anywhere.

19. atanum141

lol....even when i was 10 my parents wouldnt allow me to get one.
    Plus there are plenty of kids around my area that do it anyways,and i think im too old for it.

20. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Actually it's more Australians than students around these parts ;)

As well as temping agencies, you should check out your local Civil Service places (Councils, etc.) they generally take staff on over the Summer and you can start work as a Casual with a 51 week contract. You don't have to work the full 51 weeks, you could evenl go back at another time and work there for the rest of it as and when. Lots of my mates used to do that at college. Work there for a month every Summer until the 51 weeks was used up. Handy as a fallback too.