1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Sunbeam PCI Slot Fan Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rls669, 23 Mar 2008.

1. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCT11.html

Has anyone used one of these with multiple fans? I have an IFX-14 heatsink with 4 fans, I'd like to hook them all up on one circuit and control with a single knob. Most little controllers like this are rated for 6W or less and I need at least 10 . . . the specs say 14.4W but I've learned not to trust manufacturer's ratings with fan controllers.

If this could handle the load, it would be a heck of a deal for $7 compared to building a rheobus myself.

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

All that is, is a variable resistor with a fan connector attached. You could build your own for $5.
    If you want to control multiple fans I suggest something like this Easy to build and cheaper than buying A full fan controller.
    You can get a LM317 for less than $5 and the rest of the components are cents worth apart from the variable resistor.

Hope this helps.

3. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Yes but if it will do the job, I'd rather not build one. I could hack off the slot mount, put on a custom knob and be finished before I could even find my soldering iron :D

Thanks for the link though, it'll come in handy if I do decide to build one.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Okay then, it should be fine.
    The controllers are only rated at 6W because they use regulators with small heat sinks. This is just a variable resistor so it should handle 4 fans okay, but I would keep an eye on them for a while just in case.

Tags: