1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Sunbeam Rheobus LEDS, Just Yank It?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lchyi, 25 Aug 2003.

1. lchyi

lchyi New Member

Can I just yank the LEDs out and put dimmer ones in there? I can't remember where I read it, but someone said it kind of works like that. If I get a dimmer LED though, will I have to worry about a resistor? I wasn't going to mess with the LEDs originally, but my roommate last year had a problem with my CCFL, I think he's probably gonna hate these LEDs hehe.

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

You'll most likely have to deal with the resistors. An alternative would be to add another one in series (desolder one end of the original resistor, solder a new one on that end, solder other end of new resistor in the now-vacant hole).

3. tok3n

tok3n New Member

I replaced my sunbeam rheobus leds with ones from www.frozencpu.com - no resistors - they work great.

4. thorilan

thorilan New Member

yeah te resistors are socketed so its easy to pull em out. if you just want to reverse the effect and make them oposite like from blue to red instead of red to blue you just take out the led and bend the leads 180 degrees and put it back in

5. maeterlinck

maeterlinck New Member

I'd go with putting another resister in series to drop the voltage across the LED. Would be cheaper than replacing the LEDs.

Simple way to do this is to solder the new resistor between the last compontent before the LED and the positive leg of the LED and then cut the track with a knife. A lot easier than having to remove any components.

Code:
      ___     Break
    /   \______ | ________ LED
    \___/    \  ____  /
              \/    \/
               \____/