1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Super Pi 32m Scores - Winter Benching Fun

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 11 Dec 2012.

1. Sam__

Sam__ Active Member

Smells good doesn't it!

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Thanks, I think 16 GB might have been working for me, like in SSD's, as it was slower when I took out half. Can someone confirm this - higher density/quantity, higher bandwidth.

Until I flashed the bios to UEFI today, it wouldn't change the base clock from the 100Mhz used for the 5.1 to the usual 102Mhz :confused:. It's all good now though, having said that I've not tried to OC using the shinny new UEFI.

3. woodback

woodback Member

8.12.117 I i5 3570k I air I 4.2 I asus P877-v-lx I corsair vengeance 1600 9 9 9 24 2t

I have a screen shot but didn't know have to insert it

4. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Must be bandwidth related. Full slots=more channels=spread of load across memory=faster bench.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

That's the leaderboard (mostly) updated - it comes as no surprise that the overall leader (Sam__) has by far the fastest memory which is running at 2200MHz 7-8-7-22-1T.

I reckon that TaRkA might be able to steal the top spot with similarly clocked memory. ;)

6. Sam__

Sam__ Active Member

I do love these Corsair Dominators. Not sure how much more I can get out of the system though sadly.

7. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I need the top spot so looks like I'm going to have to fork out for some fast ram. Damn you people!!!!!

8. Booti

Booti Member

Could you add my time the leader board please when you get chance?
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3243335&postcount=146

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

@Sam__, which version of the Dominators do you have? CPUZ says you're running dual channel with 2GB, and there aren't any Dominator GT 1GB modules (only the GTX kits, which are an entirely different animal!).
    ____

Well it's cold again so I figured I should make a stab at an entry in this winter competition, so I just spent more time trying to get 208 BCLK stable (after hours of failed attempts) and finally nailed it. I needed 1.6v on both CPU and VTT to get this adequately stable, so that's it for me I think. Unfortunately this 930 has crap voltage scaling compared to my old 920, despite being a lot better in the lower register. :(

7m 58.063s | i7 930 | Air | 4575MHz | Gigabyte X58 USB3 | Dominator 2080MHz 8-9-8-24-100-1T

[​IMG]

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Unfortunately it's pretty rare now; current stuff uses a new wave of high capacity ICs which suck in the latency department and are useless for benching because they are already at their limit. If you want fast memory you'll need to find some (now rare and expensive) Elpida BBSE or PSC based dual/triple channel kits which should do 2133MHz 8-9-8 quite easily at around 1.7v.

11. Sam__

Sam__ Active Member

They are Corsair Dominator GT 3x1Gb TR3x3G2000C7GT v2.1 running the good old Elpida Hyper chips.

[​IMG]

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I stand corrected...the original and best "J1108BASE MNH-E" Hypers, binned as high as can be, and these are single-sided modules too.... EXTREMELY rare. You lucky man. ;)

(Keeping a triple channel kit for IB is sacrilege, though :D)

13. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Well-Known Member

A few tests show my memory just won't give any more in this board, either need new memory or further CPU overclocking!

No money for memory so may have to risk blowing up the chip for this one lol

Edit/

Damnit, might have to have another go tomorrow at overclocking this memory :/ may even come round and 'borrow' and hopefully not break Lennys! Feeling the urge to push this a bit further!

Last edited: 21 Dec 2012
  14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

I don't think I can push my memory without boosting the base clock just that little bit.

It won't do 2133 at 1.6v and going any further with my cpu. Maybe 5.1 maybe 5.2.

But past that I am not willing or able to afford to risk blowing my cpu/board and other components up.

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I'm going away on Sunday so you better be quick if you want to swing round for a loan.

PS this kit cost me a small fortune and it's very rare, so be gentle (no pressure or anything) :D

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

You've got me going again now, :D

15m:45.751s | Q6600 | Air | 3200MHz | Asus P5K Premium | Patriot Extreme Performance 4GiB, 961MHz, 5-5-5-15 2T

[​IMG]

Reckon I should be able to take the memory up another notch too.

17. Sam__

Sam__ Active Member

I'm keeping these to the grave, had them since benching LGA775 on LN2, they've been through a lot and are by far the best RAM I ever owned. Sadly one has died so I only have two left :(.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I'm amazed that two of the modules are still alive after all that torture... you definitely got lucky with MNH-E that doesn't die easily.

I really need a better CPU to push this BBSE memory with C7... don't think the IMC can handle C7 above 2000MHz. :(

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

To anyone trying to push AMD scores; HT is god. Clock that thing up as high as your motherboard will let you, bumping up HT and the NB directly increases the speed of the internal Memory Controller inside the chip, so it'll carve open some more bandwidth to help it get going.

It'll never catch the Intels, but it's a handy trick to knock a minute or so off. I've seen most newer Phenom II era boards tend to max out at around 3500mhz ish, the Crosshair boards seem happy with anything up to 3800mhz. Although I lack the cooling to keep such an arrangement stable.

This will cook your NB, however, so try not to blow the motherboard to high heaven.

20. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Well-Known Member

Well, I think my score is as high as I can go with my current system, I cannot even get 101Mhz BLCK or go to 53 multi without cramming the voltage up to insane levels, and even with a pair of Deltas doing push/pull on my TRUE I am not happy with the heat. It will boot, but as soon as I bench it is waaaay to hot.

Even my memory will only allow me to boot at 2400Mhz 1 out of 10 times and the timings will not go lower, so that's it for my memory and that's it for me!

May borrow Lennys 'special' memory for a few hours in the new year to see what that does, but I am DONE for now!

6m 39.876s is it!