1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Size Me

Discussion in 'General' started by SitraAchra, 26 May 2004.

1. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

has anyone heard of this movie? my gf was bugging me to see it so we saw it last friday and i actually enjoyed it. Lemme know if you've seen it and what you think.

2. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Is that the movie where the guy eats nothing but McDonalds for 30 days?

3. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

Ya, he has a team of 3 doctors evaluate him through the whole process, VERY interesting results..and some which you'd expect i.e. he gets alot fatter. It's a funny movie though

4. jodathmorr

jodathmorr What's a Dremel?

Yeah I saw this at the Philadelphia International Film Festival a few months ago. I felt pretty ill watching the whole thing. I don't eat McDonalds out of personal choice and hopefully people will now see why I choose that. I thought it was funny why he did the movie. He did it, not to make McDonalds look like a horrible corporation (which they are), but to prove that the majority of the food there is unhealthy and this needed to be proved because of those court cases a few months back. I dunno if you remember them but it was 4 or 5 obese people who were suing Mcdonalds because they were served the food for 2 or 3 meals a day and as a result they became obsese. However, the defense couldn't prove anything and the case was thrown out of court because no one has ever done a study on the effects of McDonalds over a period of time. Hopefully this movie will convince many food chains that they need healthy alternatives (and I mean real healthy, not like a salad that contains more calories with the dressing than a Big Mac). I got to meet the guy who made it, very nice guy, and I'm glad to see he is getting as much publicity. He deserves it.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I have a problem with this movie. I can respect why he would want to do a project about unhealthy eating practices. We Americans have a lot of misconecptions about health and diet in general (just look at all the fad diets erupting faster than acne on a teenager). Atkins, South Beach, Dr. Phil. Every last one of them is guaranteed not to work. And low-carb "Kitchen Fresh Chicken," I can't believe anyone could be duped by that kind of blatant suger-coated marketing! Hey, it has to be good for you, it's "Kitchen Fresh!"

That said, from what I have read about the film, am I correct in understanding that he took in around 5000 calories per day? If this is true, then it really doesn't matter what he ate, 5000 calories per day is entirely too high, and not a good representation of a typical person's daily caloric intake. He could have eaten nothing but lettuce and cucumbers and had the same results. 5000 calories per day of anything is unhealthy.

Yes, fast food is bad for you. Is this really as big a surprise as everyone is making out to be? Did all those people suing McDonald's really believe that they were eating healthy? Did they never bother to read the dietary information freely provided for all of the food? I love McDonald's. I love the Big Mac and their fries are second to none. I order the same thing every time, Number 1 (Big Mac extra value meal), Supersize, with a Coke. I'm 6'1" and have maintained my 175 weight for years. How did I not become obese, even though I eat at McDonald's a couple times per month? I just follow the only diet that is guaranteed to work: Exercise. If you can work off more calories than you eat, you will lose weight. It's that simple. If I have McDonald's for lunch one day, I will eat a sensible dinner to compensate.

If all you ever eat is fast food and never do anything to exercise your body, then you will get fat. This has been a known fact for as long as I can remember.

I just don't think this was a very well made documentary film. He clearly engineered his project so as to produce the desired results. He wanted to get fat from the very beginning. That's just not true documentary journalism. Supersize Me is no better than the marketing behind the fast food restaurants.

just my 2¢
    -monkey

6. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

So you don't think there's such a thing as corporate responsibility?

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Corporate Responsibility to what end? No, I don't think McDonalds should be held responsible for every single person that eats at their restaurant. When it comes down to it, I believe that people should be more responsible about what, and how much, they eat.

If someone chooses to eat a mega sized grease burger meal every day, I don't believe that the fast food corporations are responsible for making them do it. Nor do I blame care manufacturers for speed- and/or alcohol-related deaths.

I do believe that some, if not most of them need to work on their advertising practices. My biggest complaint in that area is with KFC, as mentioned in my last post. Ever since the health food craze started taking shape, they have done everything they can to continue to market fried chicken. First, they changed the name from Kentucky Fried Chicken to "KFC." No mention of the word "fried." That is akin to the old childhood mantra, "If you can't see it, it doesn't exist!" They have moved on from that, and are now calling their product "Kitchen Fresh Chicken." You know, from the kitchen, like mom used to make. Fresh, just like the lettuce you get at the store.

However, fast food companies are not the only ones who use sly marketing to promote whatever agenda theymay have. Wal-Mart boasts the "Made in America" campaign, yet most of the merchandise is made overseas in sweatshops and they treat their own employees like scum.

Ultimately, it is up to the consumer to choose. Fast food is bad for you. This fact is not new. It is not surprising. Every fast food establishment in which I have eaten has had pamphlets in plain view containing nutritional information about every product they sell. If a person chooses not to look at it, it's his own fault. If he wants to binge on hamburgers, then watch tv all night, it's up to him. Are some of the marketing tactics underhanded? Probably. In the end, the guy chose to eat 5,000 calories per day.

Heck, people are even lazy when it comes to dieting. According to a news report I saw last night, most people didn't even know what a "carb" was. All they knew was that you should eat less of them. I suppose the masses in general should educate themselves a little more when it comes to food and nutrition before pointing fingers at the big, bad fast food place that made them fat without their knowledge.

-monkey

8. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

Firstly, supermonkey, it might be a uk thing, but McDonalds "fries" (they're chips for goodness sake! CHIPS!!!!) are fowl over here compared to, if i have to mention another fast food chain, Burger King. But thats just by the by.

If i understand the film correctly, the guy's aim was to point out that McDonalds food over a period of time is unhealthy. This is after McDonalds claimed that their food was healthy, even if you eat it every day. Plus in america, the offer to "super size" the meal (not an option in the UK i think, been a long time since i've ordered any so called "food" from there) is irresponsible IMHO.

To be fair, both the company and the person buying the product have a responsibility to their own health, and what they eat. Also i think another factor to consider is the huge blame culture over the pond. So many people want to absolve themselves of responsibility for their own actions.

"I ate at McDonalds and i got fat, im gonna sue!" is therefore the reaction. People are easily misguided when companies claim their food is "relatively" healthy, and are largely unwilling to educate themselves about their own diet.

Really, its six and two threes and half a dozen of the other. Both McDonalds and the consumer are to blame for a person's excessive size. I just believe it was the film maker's aim to produce a simple message to many: look what happened to me when i ate at mc donalds EVERY DAY for EVERY MEAL. I have now messed up my insides permenantly. While mc donalds food is healthy, it is so only in small amounts.

I personally have yet to see the film, but im looking forward to it (i have read lots of reviews and an interview with the guy who actually did it)

9. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

In the movie, the guy asks to see the health pamphlets in each mcdonalds and in several of them, the info is either posted in the basement on the wall, or sometimes they had no health info whatsoever. That's irresponsible : /

Also - they make comparisons of portions for different mcdonalds in different countries, and also over time. The trend has been to make food portions huge. It's a known fact that if you give a person twice as much at a restaurant, they'll eat it all, or alot more than the 'normal' portion they should have been given. So we get to ask, should mcdonalds be allowed to keep making sizes bigger and bigger and just sneak it into our lives?

In the film they say that a 'small' sized drink used to be the large size, but now the scale has changed completely and it's a small, and the kiddie cup for water was the small back then.

Apparently after the movie, mcdonalds started to remove the supersize option from their menu after realizing how unhealthy it is. This is noted in the movie too. I think it's partially mcdonalds fault for underhanded campaigns.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I agree with the first part of the above quote, to a point. I agree that the company is responsible for making a product that is safe for me to consume (i.e. does not contain anything that will harm me directly, such as undercooked meat, etc.). I disagree, however, that the company is responsible for making sure that I don't overeat, or making sure that I eat healthy at all. McDonalds can't force people to read the nutritional information, nor can they force people to stuff their faces.

Remember, the supersize option is exactly that, an option. My wife rarely ever supersizes her meal becuase the portions are too big. As far as the change in sizes over the years, I would like to know more about why the changes took place. I don't think McDonalds just started increasing its portions for no reason. I would like to know if customer surveys and/or market research had anything to do with the decision. Any good corporation will listen to its customers. If people want bigger portions for their money, companies will follow suit.

Now on to the second point in the quote above. I agree 100% That is basically what I was trying to say in my previous post. The lawsuits brought agianst the fast food companies are mostly shallow, baseless claims from people looking for a scapegoat for their won problems. However, while there may appear to be a growing trend of finger pointing, I wouldn't say that it represents America as a whole. Living here, I can say that your average citizen couldn't care less about all the finger pointing going on. Talk to most people over here, and they will tell you that yes, McDonalds is bad for you. No, you shouldn't eat it every day. All those people living in the media spotlight with their lawsuits got fat by eating junk and living a sedentary lifestyle (not to be confused with a sedimentary lifestyle, which involves a steady diet of river stones). Unfortunately, one thing that does penetrate the American fabric is sensationalism. As much as everyone says they hate it, they will tune in every time "just to see what it is about." For that reason, mainstream news is littered with celebrity ranting and the corporate lawsuit du jour.

Also, I'm not sure about most people, but when I eat, whether it's at a restaurant or at the house, I only eat until I feel full.

And dr_crazy, I hate to be a stick in the mud, but McD's "chips" beat the pants off any other "chips" :p I think you need to have your taste buds examined.

/EDIT/
    Sorry, I forgot to address that statement. I agree, that is very irresponsible. Although I may not agree with the documentary, hopefully some good will come of it in the way of more managers making sure that the nutiritional information is clearly posted.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2004
  11. Soulfly22583

Soulfly22583 What's a Dremel?

I think its people that didnt take into account that what they were eating was not a proper nutrional meal and they wanted to make a fast buck. I mean come on, a company got sued out the nose for serving coffee that was too hot (wow, what a surrpise, it was Mc Donalds).

Atleast thats my opinion on it, not accounting for ones actions and having a bad case of the deep poket syndrom.

12. dr_crazy

Im sorry if it came across that i think the entire of the USA is looking for scapegoats, i just meant that it seems to have primarily originated for there, and seems to be a steadily growing force.

As for your point on sensationalism, from what little i know, it seems the american media tries to make everything the enxt disaster. From "Bowling for Columbine" i remember there was a part when Michael Moore was showing clips of news reports claiming everything was the next disaster or new apocalypse, when it later turned out to be only a small blip on the metaphoric radar, for example, the killer bee's are gonna take over in a matter of weeks.

That has to be taken with a pinch of salt though, as it IS his modified source.

However, i think we could just be reading a bit too much into it, and see it as what it was probably intended to be: a small cultural commentary on this day of age and the junk/fast food industry.

13. Soulfly22583

Soulfly22583 What's a Dremel?

Im from the USA and i have to say that i think you might be right. I cant say that i know how things may be in England, France, Finland, Germany, Austria, or Spain but in the USA their always seems to be a new corporation to go after for peoples lack of self responsability.

Alot of my friends are like that, damn who can we sue so we dont ever have to work? This is a favorite of mine "Ow i hope i get in a car accident, ill sue that person for everything they have and wont work a day in my life!" Personally the stupidity in this type of thinking is unbearable, i mean would it be worth putting your life on the line to get some money? I mean there are ZERO gurantees something wont go wrong and you wont get killed. :duh:

Yeah, so now that ive gone off on a tangent ill just stop =)

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

No offence taken. I was pretty sure that you weren't blaming the entire country :) My comment was more to reinforce my point than to take a stab at you. I apologize as well if it came out some other way.

You are spot on regarding sensationalism. Popular media over here thrives on whatever will get the biggest ratings. Where did all the good shows go? I wonder what people 500 years from now would think of our country if all they had to form an opinion were segments from the television news magazines (20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes, et al). Unfortunately, I think the view would be extremely slanted.

I, for one, can't wait until the whole "reality" tv craze passes on. Let's just hope it's just a phase!! I find myself watching less and less tv because I just can't take any more American Idol or Survivor. And the Bachelor can take a hike!

You know, I think you just might be right :)

-monkey

15. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

I personally couldn't STAND Bowling for Columbine. I truly dislike when movies try to force their agenda on you. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this movie because they keep a light attitude and it's funny throughout. And they do alot of highlighting the obesity problem in America and try to draw ties to the fast food industry when they can. But it's definitely not on the same sensationalism level as Bowling for Columbine.

16. dr_crazy

I think with all these kind of movies you have to realise that they are either going to be "light-hearted" (and i use that term loosely) social commentaries, like "Super Size Me" or, they will have a political agenda that they intend to portray in a manner easily digestable for the masses, like "Bowling For Columbine".

However, I dont agree that Michael Moore was forcing his agenda on the audience. I think it was more of his soap box to try and convince people. He did it in a slightly biased way, but he didn't leave the film with the message "Ban all guns!" he left it with "This is what i found out from the fallout of Columbine, I think guns should be banned, but its your choice".

However, it has been a while since i've seen it, so the accuracy of the above statement can be called into question :D

17. bjornolafson

bjornolafson What's a Dremel?

Super Size me too

I haven't seen the movie (it is on my "must see" list), but from reading his web site SuperSizeMe.com I think that the writer/director/star of SuperSize, Morgan Spurlock, me is trying to talk about more than just McDonalds. A quote from the website:

The film explores the horror of school lunch programs, declining health and physical education classes, food addictions and the extreme measures people take to lose weight and regain their health.

Super Size Me is a satirical jab in the stomach, overstuffed with fat and facts about the billion-dollar industry besieged by doctors, lawyers and nutritionists alike.

(end quote) I think there are a lot more issues here than just McDonalds.

However we all know the real reason why he made this movie: To Make Money. Which then is a good reason to put the name McDonalds all over the movie so it sells.

bjornolafson@hotmail.com

18. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

here's an article from cnn.com about the movie and how well it's doing.

yeah i forgot all about how they analyze the cafeteria system in US public schools and how there are soda and candy vending machines that are basically tempting kids into getting fat.

in the school district i graduated from in Texas, the Dr. Pepper [soda] corporation paid something like $10 million for every school in the district to have their soda machines. So the school gets to justify having the vending machines saying the company is giving money to our schools. But that's such crap considering how much the company is making off the kids buying their sodas and how bad they are for your health.

on a personal note, after getting my first dental cavity and having a drill in my mouth, the dentist said it was from drinking too much soda. i stopped drinking all carbonated drinks, and consequently have not had a cavity since, and have also lost about 30 pounds from my changed diet and exercize.

it may sound like conspiracy, but if there are enough options to make yourself fat, such as being surrounded by crappy food in grade school, and mcdonalds everywhere, and no good information about them, you can and WILL become overweight. it happened to me.

19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

And here's what the typical american consumers child looks like after McDonnalds....

[​IMG]

20. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

do his parents not think about doing anything about that?now i believe the story about that 3 yr old having a heart attack.**** me some people are stupid.