1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Super Street Fighter IV not coming to PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Sep 2010.

1. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

As said above this "reason" makes no sense. SF4 sold well but had lots of piracy...so they still made money? They don't like making money? I guess this is proven by their financial results earlier in the year. How bizarre.

I did buy Sf4 but hardly played it. The GFWL multiplayer just sucked.

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

It's a publicity stunt.
    They will soon say that there was "a huge outcry", so they've decided that they will release it after all, but they will have to put XYZ draconian DRM to protect themselves. When it flops, they will say "I told you the pirates would get us"

3. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Capcom signed the pc alliance thing a few month ago, does that mean as little now as it did then???

4. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

hmm well maybe I was wrong. I haven't played it. I was just saying I looked it up when it was on a steam sale and my memory is of reading about how infuriating it was to play on the pc. Something to do with stupidly hard ai in the single player iirc, but if people who have played it say it was fine then I guess I was wrong.

5. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Well, I found it stupidly hard, even on the easy levels, but then I don't play fighting games, and I was playing it with a keyboard, not a controller, which isn't exactly optimal. The number of super-moves you have to perform in order to unlock the final characters is sorta crazy. I don't know if it was like that on the XBox, perhaps the console kiddies raised on this stuff find it all humdrum and easy. I, as at least one other person here has said, prefer more thinky games (I'm REALLY looking forward to playing Civ V after it unlocks -- demo was even better than I expected).

Oh, and it goes without saying the Capcom are talking out of their arses.

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Yes, because piracy makes it ever so difficult for you to apply your 3GB package of additional ****, and upload it once to the steam cloud. Ho hum. Why don't you guys just go ahead and cripple your game with DRM just like Ubisoft does, where the pirates get to play all they want and the customer gets ****ed.

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Piracy can not be controlled by draconian measures or stopped by just cancelling PC games. DRM only angers fans and makes no inroads against piracy.

Put it on Steam. make it cheap, make it GOOD and it will sell and make you money.

Some will always pirate games, but this should be viewed as a positive thing, raising awareness, increasing the fan base and driving legitimate sales.

Free DLC for registered users, paid for DLC that is high quality and reasonably priced. These things will also drive legitimate sales and bring revenue.

The PC games market is huge. Many reports of falling sales had not taken in to account sales via digital distribution. With the consoles get technically dated the time is NOW for PC gaming. I think our hobby is going to be awesome in the near future.

Developers and publishers who think outside the box and adapt will succeed, those who get angry and cancel games in a fit of pique will fail.

8. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

If it's 99% done they only stand to make money even if it was pirated. I really don't think their games appeal to a large number of PC gamers in the first place and they were hitting bumps in development. If not they made a really bad business decision.

9. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

I bought it for the PS3 and tbh, got bored very quickly. Besides the graphics and a few new characters there was nothing new. The game has been made and remade so many times. So for it not coming to the pc, who cares.

10. SirReno7

SirReno7 What's a Dremel?

"Capcom's Yohinori Ono said that, while Street Fighter 4 did sell well on PC, the game was wounded by rampant piracy."

I would like to ask him exactly how he KNOWS this. How exactly did Capcom COUNT the number of people who pirated the game? Did they go door to door & conduct a survey? Did they ASK each person on Earth whether or not they pirated a copy of SF4?? Of course, we can all ASSUME that more than 20 copies of it were pirated... We can assume than more than 100 copies were pirated. But those are just ASSUMPTIONS... I want to KNOW -- where did Capcom get their actual FIGURES from? Sales figures are ONE thing, but how do you measure the AMOUNT of piracy, on a particular product? By the way, while we are ASSUMING things, I'll bet there were more than 100 copies of the CONSOLE versions, which were ALSO pirated... Just sayin'.

And ALSO:

"Asked whether Capcom would consider a digital release over more piracy-proof platforms like Steam or GamersGate, Ono said that such a move would be unfair to anyone who did not have access to the service."

...But then, as writer Joe Martin points out, in the very next PARAGRAPH:

"Steam and GamersGate are free to use digital distribution platforms, accessible to anyone with an internet connection and the funds to buy the games they want."

In other words, EVERYONE would have access to it. Thus, Ono's point totally FAILS... So to Ono, I would ask: How is it any MORE fair to release it ONLY on consoles? Isn't that a bit unfair to those who don't have "ACCESS TO THE SERVICE" which is needed to play THOSE versions online?

A company who is willing to punish EVERY PC user, do to the idea that SOME PC users commit piracy... is a company who shouldn't even be ALLOWED to use the word "fair" in their reasoning.

I agree with everyone who says Capcom is using piracy as an EXCUSE, to cover up OTHER reasons they don't want to release a PC version. ESPECIALLY when you consider that they're still going to release OTHER PC games... Are we to believe that only STREET FIGHTER fans are pirates? The answer is no. Is Capcom full of ****? The answer is yes..

I used to like Capcom, but I will NEVER EVER purchase a product by Capcom again -- even if I DO buy a console, and there's a Capcom game for it, which REALLY interests me. I'm going to AVOID buying it now, all because of THIS. I know: I'm just ONE former fan. So MY boycotting of the company isn't going to hurt them AT ALL. I'm sure they will be FINE without little ole' ME. But it's just the PRINCIPAL. If I ever have children, I'll teach them the same thing someday: Even if a company makes something you might be interested in, DO NOT BUY that product if you have reason to question the company's integrity.

Tags: Add Tags