1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Supermarket Petrol - Who uses who?

Discussion in 'General' started by Conrad, 29 Apr 2005.

1. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

By who uses who i mean who's petrol do they buy in to sell in there pumps? I think asda used to have bp and sainsburys had esso but i dunno if thats still the case.

2. logan

logan flashback!

Never really thought about that, google didn't seem to shed any light for me. Maybe it's time for a pepsi challenge taste test! :thumb:

3. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

tesco are supposed to use BP.least the blokes who fill the tanks at the one near me wear BP jumpers.

4. Mombassaa

Mombassaa What's a Dremel?

i always thought about this to.

i would think they would use who ever offerd them the best deal. so probly changes abit

and yeah, i seem to remember seening BP guys at my local tesco to

5. penski

penski BodMod

Mombassa - could you edit your signature please? Twelve lines is more than a bit excessive.

*n

6. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

i dont care really

i run a diesel, it will run well on any sort of diesel so i just fill it up and pay no attention to the branding on the pump

7. padair

padair Inebriated

Sainsbos may buy the fuel off BP for example, but who actually produced it depends on where you live.
    Esso, Texaco, BP etc ALL use Shell's Stanlow refinary in Ellesmere Port (my brother drives a tanker out of there).
    Stanlow covers North Wales, Most of the North west of England (from Birmingham up, including Bradford, Leeds) and parts of Scotland. So if you live in Manchester you are using Shell petrol no matter where you get it.

Refinery sharing happens at all the other locations as well.

The only difference in the fuel is the additives added by the petrol companies, the supermarkets don't add teh same additives or in some cases don't use any additives at all.

So if you have a Sainsbos filling station and a Branded store side by side, and the fuel is the same price, go for the branded fuel.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Pretty much what I was going to post Padair! (although I didn't know which refineries served which regions) :)

9. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

BP have a refinery at Grangemouth up here in Scotland, I'm not sure where it serves though.

10. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

i've hurd they just use which ever place is closest so there not paying huge ammounts to get the petrol transported from one place to another.
    i've notice that sometimes at my local tescos my car will run great on one lot of fuel then the next time i fill up it might not run as well

11. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

Well it is all pointless... my Gti only runs properly on optimax... not putting that crappy supermarket fuel in my baby! Heard bad stories about that! :worried:
    -J

12. seagull

seagull What's a Dremel?

Hi
    I used to work in a Tesco store. The petrol station used to use cheap Russian petrol apparently, obviously of inferior quality and lacking the detergents of better quality petrol.
    Cheers

13. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

Well going back many years well 4 star was being killed off sainsburys were one of the last garage's around me that still had some in and it was supposed to be esso fuel back then. Damn what a difference the good stuff made :D

I always run super unleaded in my car as a couple of pence diff to unleaded doesnt bother me but when its almost 10p a litre then i start to wonder. Esp as variances in fuel dont seem to effect the modern car as much as it did when i had my mk2 fiesta and 4 star.

14. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Optimax all the way baby :thumb:

15. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Just Sainsburys for my old nail :) especially as it's usually at least a few quid cheaper than the main fuel brands.

Tags: