1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Supposedly awesome games that you couldn't get into?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kameltoemunch, 27 Nov 2010.

1. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Offtopic: Had a good laugh at the libertarian party link. :lol:

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Metro 2033 got a pretty average review on bit-tech, but I've heard lots of people say good things about it. Personally, I picked it up cheap in the Steam holiday sale and wish I hadn't. There are certain things I like about it, like the overall atmosphere and the story, but the gameplay just sucked balls so it didn't hold my interest for very long at all. In that regard, it falls into the same category as Bioshock for me.

3. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

I never tried the demo of Metro 2033, so that could be hopelessly boken in which case shame on them! I picked it up as part of a package deal in the steam summer sale. Last month I got around to playing it and I really enjoyed it. Yes it is quite short, but at a cheap price it's still good value. I did think it looked pretty good, but then that is everything turned up on a GTX 570. Mostly the lighting and mist/fog efects are very good, very spooky. There were no real visual glitches to notice and the game ran without problems for me, but then they might have fixed it with many patches since release. I'd say well worth picking up in future steam sales, but you do need a good DX11 card really.

4. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Really didnt like Bioshock.

Never completed half life 1 or 2! :-0 so i guess neither game grabbed me

5. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

Sure you don't have this mixed up? The games are the opposite of what you just described, with ME 2 being far more linear and RPG-lite than the first and have much more entertaining and visceral combat. Love ME 2, didn't like the first.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

hum..... i may give this another try. it's the "all my charactors survived at the end" everyone keep saying that put me off. it sounds like a grind where you have to complete all side missions to get a good ending.

7. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

FAR CRY 2: Bought it on the week it was lauched, havent finish it til this day, the constant driving killed the game, its gets really really annoying... and what about the rebels respawn... that was hilarious and pissed me off like nothing!!

Comments here that i dont get sometimes are for example ppl complaining about an RPG game for its RPG elements... maybe you should just point out that you hate RPG hehe

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

yep ...Disappointed at the whole Mass Effect thing .. And Dragon Ages .. Really slow and painful to play.

Dead Space was really annoying to get used to, its taken me at least a year to get around to playing it ..now I admit I am hooked though, enough to have bought DS2 .. Bioshock 1 ..enjoyed ...BS2 .. me'h not that bothered yet... maybe I havent given it enough keyboard time.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Biggest disappointment ever was Quake Wars, totally sub par when up against the likes of Battlefield.

The new COD franchise with the exception of the first MW was pants too

Deus Ex, FFVII I appreciate both, I can see how people would love them, but I just don't.

And Fallout....total meh...slow and boring.

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Final Fantasy (Anything but FFX)

Mass Effect

Medal of Honour

Starcraft (I'm a HUGE RTS fan aswell)

SupCom I and II

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Halo - Loved the first one, but after playing Halo 2 I really lost all desire to continue with the series. I guess I would call it due to over exposure. As much I did like Halo, I couldn't get away from it when I wanted to play other games (at the store, on TV, on the interwebs, in the Xbox Live Dashboard, in gaming mags AHHHHH MAKE IT STOP!).

Final Fantasy XIII - The long winded beginning of the game really put me off and with how linear the game was I just couldn't stay with it. Made it to the open map (the first time) and put the controller down after grinding up on Behemoths for a couple of days. Just didn't want to get back into the linear playstyle after it had finally opened up for that area.

Dead Rising 1 & 2 - Love killing Zombies, hate having a timer forced on me.

Nazi Zombies - I know it's not really it's own game, but still, this part of the Black Ops and World at War I couldn't really enjoy. Probably due to the nature of the teamwork required. I've been in too many games where one mistake gets you raged at by a teamate with Nazi Zombies.

12. morkfromork

morkfromork Minimodder

Tbh with metro everyone i know who had played the game went on about how awesome it was and how i sould play it. I did and it was so pants.

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Little Big Planet - just seemed like another platform game to me.

Star Trek Online - I so wanted to like this, but didn't!

CoD games other than World At War - just the same old same old.

TDU2 - Bitterly disappointed with this - it's rubbish!

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I recommend you try it again with a smaller nation like India, Prussia or Sweden. I went for Britain the first time around, looked at the map and thought the same as you. The larger more powerful nations are not a good idea to start with. It takes a bit longer to get into than most total wars have, if you're a veteran there's only a small similarity to the older games so it's not a huge help having played the others. Enfact think it can make it worse since you're used to the old ways rather than seeing it fresh faced.

Dragon Age is the most recent one for me that springs to mind, it's usually my kind of thing but I didn't really enjoy it.

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Metro 2033, Age of Empires 3, Half Life, Portal.
    Metro was boring, Age of Empires was boring(not helped by the spoken intros) didn't like any of the HL series, hated portal.

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Killzone 2
    Anything COD after the first MW: In fact anything Activision related if there was an earlier game ie. Guitar hero, Tony hawks (think 3 was the last one I enjoyed
    FEAR:Tho i'm hankering to play that again to work out why I didn't like it. Watched black hawk down 4 times over a year trying to understand the same thing and hate it still to this day! The second time watching was because the making off was brilliant lol. Ive still the expansions to play for FEAR =(
    Timesplitters:FP :I played 2 to death which didnt help
    Oblivion :Clocked up hours and did eventually complete it but kept wishing it was morrowind
    GTA san andreas and 4 :felt the series had lost its way, san andreas had nice features and new city etc but making it more realistic just killed it for me
    Final Fantasy 14 :I played and actually though what is the point of my life?
    Resistance: I played it on release and promised I would never buy a PS3 if that was the quality of games produced
    Final fantasy x-2 was it regarded as great? I cant remember now. Either way I was too busy pulling my eyeballs out.

On a lesser side, FO:NV disappointed. I loved fallout 3 and while NV had some nice new features I kinda missed the big city and scavanging feel FO3 captured. Hardcore mode didn't do anything for me either but I cant bring myself to turn it off. I'd say NV was the better of the 2 but between bugs, more linear feeling (I know openness was a huge problem for 3 to some ppl) and the worthlessness of the karma system due to faction rep (I couldnt care what effect my choices had apart from faction rep). Completed once, havent went back to try mods yet.

again on a lesser side mass effect 2. Now this isn't cause I though it was a bad game but how I played it. I didn't have time to enjoy it really and rushed through missing most of it. Problem is I want to play mass effect 1 again with a few new chars to carry through and try different things but due to rushing the first time (and constantly having a friend nagging that I play it) kinda made it hard for me to enjoy. I probably will play again in the summer if I have time. that and bioshock I still haven't looked at!

My biggest problem is I force myself to complete everything I own even if I dont enjoy it. Can't stand not know what happened at the end or that feeling of so much time just wasted either! I need to sit down and take a game at a good pace if Im to enjoy it. FO has the problem that I go too slow and big titles or heavy launch schedules force me to play too fast. I guess I'm slightly obsessive. Like I've only played 6hours of GT5 then stopped cause I've decided I want a wheel and want to enjoy it that way tather then play through multiple times. Plus uni is getting in the way atm!

Last edited: 28 Feb 2011
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ditto!

To be fair, from what I gather FC2 got good reviews but is actually mostly hated by the public.

18. Garfy400

Garfy400 Master of the Universe

Absolutely, I hate being hurried by games. Dead Rising looked awesome but the bugs and the timer made it unplayable for me.

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

GTA4 [360] - It was free and i still felt ripped off, only game i traded in the same day i got it.

Final Fantasy VII [PC/PS1] - PC version was bugged to hell, both were mind numbingly boring and i'm usually a fan of that type of game.

WoW - The mentality of the players is what put me off this, that and i'm really not a big Warcraft fan.

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Oh, the one that's not even out yet? I'd blame the pirates, maybe.

Personally, I've never got into any Blizzard game. Just don't understand the fuss.