1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Suprnova.org Explodes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by RTT, 19 Dec 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

True, but why should they be able to sue for more than the retail value of the product in question? And why should they get to have a monopoly (yes, I think movie sales are probably one of the biggest monopoly/price gouging scenaroios today, and goes utterly overlooked)? 95% of the lawsuits right now are utter BS and they're doing nothing more than clogging up our justice systems and making it so murders and whatnot have to sit in jail cells for years before they can get so much as a trial. It would be one thing if things like these stayed on judge judy but they don't.

It's the same thing as DRM really. I was just playing around with some old minidisc software since I half-got my player working again and it says I'm only allowed to transfer MY music to MY player three times and after that it presumably just locks me out. What happened to the days of casettes where this wasn't an issue? More technological BS intended to screw over the end user. [mock]Full stop.[/mock]

And jazzle, absolutely nothing. Two different names for the same thing, although burglar is often used in cases of smaller thefts I think.

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Perhaps they closed after reading this news

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

alll the ahourities are gay!!! i hate them all im sooo pissed after my staff party!! i cant believe im management !!! alll they suck ass big time!!! i want my downloads all the time!!!!! an for free !!!

where can i get my downloads??? im a lost kitten now!! :hehe:

4. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Burglary implies that force was used.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I thought Burglary implies property. Theft is misc other.

Anyhow, no loss - i get my tv stuff from tvtorrents and anime from 3 other places. Supanova was just good for picking up everything else that slipped the net.

6. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

It's pretty obvious you were not alive during the days of tape. You ever try making a copy of one? When I was a kid (I'm not THAT old) my dad had this insanely expensive tape deck. No matter what you used, copying a copy, degrades quality. Not true with digital stuff nowadays, assuming you are not compressing it or changing the format.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My dad has a dual casette deck too. I don't think it was that expensive and as long as you stick with the original as the master it's not that much quality loss. At least not in my ears.

8. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

And I suppose THAT will be shutdown as well but I dunno how... and it will be harder but I have a feeling I wont be using P2P and BT anymore...

unreliable...and illegal, goodbye P2P and BT :blah:

9. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Erm... didn't TVTorrents shutdown yesterday too? From what I heard quite a few sites shutdown yesterday before their databases were raided.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ok NOW im pissed off :grr:

SMALLVILLE!! Enterprise!! 24 Season 4!! **** sake. :(

11. ajack

ajack rox

TVTorrents looks OK to me...

12. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

There were a lot of legit uses for sites like suprnova. Like I was moaning to the people on IRC, that's how I got to watch TV without having to set up the vcr all the darn time (I have classes most evenings durring some of the more ace shows :( ).

Damn the MPAA...

13. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Get you head out of your arse...

1. Yes im sure the limited amount of court cases brought forward by the MPAA / RIAA has delayed murder cases :eyebrow:

2. DRM wouldnt be nessesary if you bought the music or movies in the first place.

At the end of the day they are only protecting there groups property.

14. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

slightly off topic and more of a legal question, If I download a TV program produced by a publically funded TV station (eg the BBC) am i breaking the law? seeing as I pay for a TV licence and the programs are technically public domain (in the Uk at least)

Its a shame that Bittorrent has taken a kicking in the last few days, I buy a lot more music these days due to downloading stuff from the net, Its introduced me to new music I'd never have bought previously pretty much the same with dvds

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

net or com?

I used net

16. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

It's legal to download some movie and music many artists encourage it.

I don't see a person who downloads films/music as being a "theif", no physical thing is removed. They haven't broken into someones house and taken a DVD off of them, all they have done is taken a copy of a representation of the movie reel or music recording from someone who says "who wants to take a copy of this DVD i bought?". Do you honestly believe that everyone who downloads a movie would have bought it in a store if the facility to download hadn't been available?

The only thing of dubious legality I use B-T for is to download TV shows, am I any more of a theif than someone who video tapes them, or records them to a hard disk by using TiVO instead of B-T?

I'm not condoning piracy, but the impact of filesharing is overblown and propagandised to hell at the moment. The anti-piracy advert on British DVDs now just tipifies this, it starts: "Would you steal a car?" and progresses through "Would you steal someones bag?" and then ends up with a young girl downloading something off the net - in an effort to make car theft and movie downloads comparable. It's ridiculous.

As for this not being news, considering bit-torrent accounts for nearly 40% of internet traffic, and suprnova was the largest bit-torrent tracker site - i'd say this is news.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not only that Acri - but like you say, some downloading is legal. The propaganda machine of international corporations depicts it as evil and illegal cause 90% of people are unfortunatly un-netducated enough to not know the difference

18. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

The MPAA and every other movie / music organisaion should concentrate on those that download & sell the items at Car boot sales etc rather then focus on the rest of us who download a movie etc to see if it is any good.

Most people like me will download something & if we like we will go & buy it. I saw resident evil after I downloaded it. I had no intention of seeing it at the cinema as I thought it would be rubbish. However after seing the movie, I ended up buying it on DVD when it came out. I also went and watched the 2nd one at the cinema.

There are however,a number who won't bother, but they probably didn't even intend to pay for the movie / song anyway, so it's not as though the MPAA / RIAA are really losing that much money from those of us who then go on to pay for the movies that we did enjoy after seeing them.

If the movie / music stars weren't so overpaid then the industires wouldn't need to make so much money or at least they could afford to loose that little bit that is lost due to the larger pirates.

19. Impact9

Impact9 What's a Dremel?

I just use bittorrent to get TV shows not shown over here in the UK or episodes that I missed. Torrentreactor is still up, although not as good as suprnova was. In the end there will always be irc and usenet :clap:

20. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

try .net ....

Totally agree with this, my large DVD collection has come about by downloading something, liking it and going out and buying it .... and now I'm being compared to someone who steals cars or handbags ... this is utterly rediculous :grr:

Tags: Add Tags