1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Suprnova.org Explodes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by RTT, 19 Dec 2004.

1. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

yep, the mirrors are still alive and well, they just won't be updated anymore

2. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

mclean007, I understood your disctinction between tangibles and intangibles, but I agree that I didn't understand why you placed so much emphasis on that distinction. I think you're saying that one possible rationale for IP theft is that it doesn't hurt anyone, in as much as you're not taking anything away the ability to access the IP from anyone, be they the person whose disc you copied, or the company that produced it.

Quite so. But you haven't taken away the manufacturer's ability to make more cars of the same design, right? In both situations, the seller has been deprived of their right to the revenue from one sale which otherwise would have been made (ignoring the ridiculous excuse of, "I wasn't going to buy it anyway"). And in both situations I can say that if you never intended to buy it, stealing it instead is hardly a morally defensible action.

I know it's not directly related to the point under discussion, but something's either worth having, or it's not. If it's worth having, then buy it; If it's not, then you don't need to steal it.

Nezuji :)

3. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

damn it sucks how suprnova closed down ...best ****en site ever made

long live warez :clap:

4. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

in the uk its against the law to change the media it was brought on. i.e you cant use WMP to rip a cd. So why are mp3 players legel, everyone who has an mp3 player is breeaking the law, unless you download and pay for your entire music collection again. which i dont think many people will be doing.

5. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

I get mp3s from www.allofmp3.com its legal and only ~0.5p per MB :D . Add to that you can choose the bitrate of everything you download.

It beats iTunes hands down. :rock: ..

Sucks about Suprnova and all the torrent site (and Shareconnector (ed2k) too), but they kinda brought it on themselves.

*EDIT* Dodge: its legal to have 1 copy of anything you own (as backup - so converting a CD to MP3 is legal as long as you own the original cd.

6. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

That law is a myth that everyone beleives, its illegel even if your just making a backup. making a "backup" of windows for example is also illegel.

7. quack

quack Minimodder

Dodge is correct. They call being able to create a backup for your own personal use of something you've purchased a "fair use provision". There are no such fair use provisions under UK copyright law, but there is under USA law.

In the USA you are allowed to make a backup of anything you have bought, be it a videogame, a music CD, a DVD or anything else... AS LONG as you are not breaking any copy protection or encryption to do so - which would be against the DMCA.

In the UK, you are NOT allowed to make any backups of anything, even if there is no copy protection. The act of ripping a CD to MP3s to put on your player is basically illegal, but the authorities turn a blind eye to that, just as they do when you are recording TV shows onto DVD or VHS to watch later (known as timeshifting, you are really supposed to watch then delete your recordings).

BTW, it's not entirely been proven that allofmp3.com is legal to use in the UK. It's legal in Russia as the Russian equivalent of the BPI/RIAA pays the artists royalties, but is it legal for UK citizens to be using the service? *shrug* You're not allowed to access the US or Canadian versions of the iTunes Music Store from outside those countries, so only time will tell when it comes to allofmp3.com.

8. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

i was going to say, surely ripping a tv program to your hard drive is the same as using a dvd recorder and keeping it on a tv?

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

What if I buy a disc and sometime later it gets damaged and unusable, can I copy a friends disc as a replacement for my damaged disk as I've already paid for it?

Would that be legal? Some of the law here needs to be changed.

10. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

yer that would be illegel, you could use your mates disk and your cd key and that shouldnt be a problem.

11. orb

orb satisfying.

TorrentBits was not shut down.

Redbeard(owner) had lost most of his admin friends there, most importently "Helshad" and "wyz" .

He was on vacation when the server went off, then when he came back, he decided to pull the plug.

12. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

You poor subjects. Pardon me, I'm going to go listen to some legal tunes on my MP3 player :D

/me imagines getting arrested for being in posession of an mp3 player...

13. quack

quack Minimodder

We wouldn't get arrested for possessing one... thankfully. It's legal to sell them and legal to own them, just like VCRs or DVD recorders. :thumb:

14. djivesp

djivesp What's a Dremel?

In my opinion, being able to obtain music/videos free of charge is not all about getting it without paying for it (most of us respect the owners of the content and pay for it purely to support the band/producers), but its more about expanding your own tastes and educate yourself about what is out there -
    for example i have my favourite underground dj's/producers, whose records i buy on vinyl and pay about £7 PER RECORD, to be able to enjoy and play at gigs, and i buy those because i respect that artist, but i use BT for discovering more excellent dj's and producers, therefore it makes me buy the 'real thing' and pay £7 PER RECORD more times!

How can that be bad?

Mainstream music is too much populated by shitty boybands and shitty barbie-bands who are constructed by management, no wonder people dload their music because everyone knows that theyre market-orientated bollocks.

15. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

Question
    If I design a Bit Torrent search engine where it allows people to upload torrents (Anykind of torrents from dvds to warez), will that be illegal? Like will the RIAA and FBI try to shut me down? Will I get sued?

16. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 1 Feb 2013
  17. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think technically speaking no torrent websites have broken the law as they only provide links to the files, or more often than not links to the torrent files that point to the actual files, but never actually host the files themselves. Don't bank on that though. Regardless, you would be shut down or sued if discovered. Not to mention in need of an ungodly amount of bandwidth (think every pirate on the planet visiting your site weekly, which is quite a bit)

19. TMM

TMM Modder

although "slipstreaming" windows (hope thats the right term. When you put extra drivers on the install cd) is legal :eyebrow:
    probably not sued / fined, becuase you don't have the content on your servers, but they will defo get you to take down the links ;).

Last edited: 25 Dec 2004
  20. TMM

TMM Modder

double post :\

Tags: Add Tags