1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Surface 2 Vs Pro Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ivoryspike, 12 Oct 2013.

1. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Hey all,

I was just looking for some advice / see if I've missed anything out when comparing and choosing what I want to get.

Now I'm going to use this device to do some tasks on the go and don't necessarily need full intel/desktop when out and about, I guess. I was thinking that when i do need that I could always remote desktop into my i7 (or indeed use my desktop) and use its power in place of the tablet ; it's pretty much where we are headed with the cloud anyways.

The Surface 2 looks more of an improvement to me than the Pro 2.

My comparisons are:

1) Same screen res but Pro wins over with 10 point vs 5 and digitizer pen dooda (will i use that?)
    2) 64GB vs 256GB (models I would choose) - I have access to Skydrive and 12TB on VPN, how much will be left of the 64GB on RT? There's always SD card - Pro's/con's?
    2a) 2GB vs 8GB - Will need/want 8GB if I go for the Pro but I guess 2GB is fine for RT if I remote desktop for heavy use.
    3)8.9mm vs 13.5mm thick and 1.49lbs vs 2lbs so lighter thinner device on the go.
    4)Battery life? Not sure how the 2 compare given that they would essentially be running different tasks. Up to 10 hours on RT not sure on the Pro.
    5)Price - Heading over to Oz so I have the chance of getting them cheaper due to conversion rates - £380 for the 64GB (£440 UK) vs £870 for the 256GB (much better price than £1040 UK price) £500 diff vs £600 here.
    6) Same wifi, bluetooth, internal sensors, build quality, RT has better cameras.

Not sure if I've missed anything relevant? If I got the Pro 2, it wouldn't retire my desktop as I don't think we are there yet.

Appreciate your input guys & gals, cheers :thumb:

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Awesome! I am getting a Surface Pro 2 when it will be out (I need to wait for the official release to get the student discount, and extended warranty).

Yea, it's a shame that the Surface Pro 2 doesn't carry the improved camera.
    But it's a different target. The Surface Pro 2 target was to rework the internals to be power efficient, what ever small percentage they can get, and also using components that consumes less power, and to add things on top: Haswell

Before we start, you need to understand the purposes of the 2 tablet.. I mean their target market.

The Pro is if you need to run x86 application beside Office (as that's included), and you don't really mind IE11 (I am not sure if Firefox Modern UI app will be available for Windows 8.1 RT).

Basically:
    - The Surface 2 is targeted at non-artists/developers/engineers, where you don't need the pen to take notes. The pen is there for note taking, but also if you have good eyes, and decide to use 100% DPI setting, where you finger is too big for programs tool bars navigation, you'll even have trouble closing a folder (although not impossible). The pen will be helpful in that regard. Oh and applications that don't adapt to higher DPI settings if you use a higher one, like 125% or 150%

It's great for students outside of engineering/computer science too, as you have Office with OneNote included, and a web browser, which is all one needs for school (Office 2013 can open/read/edit PDF, and you have Acrobat Reader Modern UI app). If you need to draw the casual graph, math equation, small diagram, then a normal touchscreen pen can be used.

It's also great for media consumption: games, video and music.

It's basically a normal tablet, but has Flash, Office with OneNote and Outlook, under the Windows ecosystem.

- The Surface 2 Pro, is targeted at power user, it's a potentially even a desktop replacement for some (basically, if you don't play games, or use engineering software). It's definitely a great non gaming laptop/ultrabook replacement.
    It's targeted at people that really need the digitize pen, and run x86-64 desktop applications... like for me, I NEED to run Java, and Visual Studio for school. I also really the pen for equations (math class), graphs, diagram, and more. Artists loves is as a more than half price Wacom tablet (http://www.wacom.com/ca/en/creative/intuos-pro-m), and uses a Wacom digitizer. While it's not one as advance (1,024 pressure level detection (oh yes, it's a fancy one!) compared to 2,048 of the Wacom tablet Cintiq Companion) its is plenty for most.

So its target is more for developers, computer scientists, engineers and artists, and student in these respective field. Of course, if you are a student outside of the field I mention.

Of course, now, it's never a clean cut. I am sure that they are business people even student that love using pen, and the Surface Pro is fine for them, also perhaps other field which I didn't mention, as I don't know, like perhaps if you are in medical filed. Or you simply want an ultrabook.. but a tablet shape.

2)The Surface 2 and Pro 2 has a microSD card and the Pro 2 has microSDXC

4) For battery life, we need to wait for the product to be released.

Ivoryspike likes this.
  3. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Thanks GB :)

Seems to be mostly based on the pen and whether I have a use for it. I do some art back from my college days but I like to use paper and pencil. I use x86 of course but I can't see me using it that much for my needs on the go; if I do again a remote in may tackle what I need to do. Like you said I can use a regular pen for precise pointing as long as I don't have pressure sensitive work.

I think I like the idea of the pressure pen and have lots of asperations for using with drawing, Photoshop and the like but whether I will do that is another question.

Work wise I work fixing PC's and recently finished CCNA so not exactly creative fields (unless you count sub netting creative ;) Will be carrying on studying so either will be good for that.

Kinda leaning towards the RT model but the ocd in me wants full win8 pro and the pen with it's advantages. Perhaps, given that I'm not ready to give up my desktop I can go for a lower end Pro 2, the 64gb and 128gb would be £610 and £670 respectively, dropping the price diff to £230 and £290 but give me all the extras. Perhaps I'll wait to see the reviews for battery to make a decision.

4. GoodBytes

Wooha?!
    I guess I won't get a Surface Pro 2 this year.

Microsoft Store Canada
    - Only have the 128GB model available, delay for Oct 25.
    - 512GB is delayed until Dec 15.
    No other model available anymore for the Pro.

Microsoft Store U.S:
    - 64GB is still in stock
    - 128GB delayed Oct 25
    - 256 and 512GB delayed Dec 15

By "delayed" I mean, you have to wait for it, due of being out of stock, and that it wont' be released Oct 21st, the official release date of the device.

Assuming of course, that they made more than 10, this is good news for Microsoft, good for them. It also means that it sucks for me...

5. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Damn, that does suck :( Yeah they probably did hold back on the stock a bit.

Just checked UK/AUS and they are still on 21st for 64/128 but the 256 has gone back to 29th from 25th.

All this ummingg and ahhing about what model I want and I bet I won't be able to get one at this rate :worried:

And yes btw your enthusiasm has led me to go for the Pro g'dammit :lol:

6. GoodBytes

I am sure they are... but probably to have some level of stocks in retail stores.
    The thing is, if I go to the store and buy it. I need to pay the stupid environment tax on the unit, plus no student offer (10% off). :/

LOL!