1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Surround Sound Chair v.2

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Captain Slug, 30 Sep 2006.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Well my previous version was starting to show its age and it seriously needed a face lift.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=368421&page=2
    I didn't particularly like the size of the seat or the placement of the original backrest, so I started from scratch. The only part of the original chair that was used was the base and the aluminum piece that was holding the subwoofer.

I cut a new seat out of MDF. Cut some cushions out of thick cell foam, then made the back, neck, and headrest pieces out of polycarbonate. The spine of the chair is two 1/2-13 steel threaded rods on a spring mount so that they're less rigid than the lower back rest. My hands aren't working all that well so my mother helped me with the upholstering work.
    [​IMG]
    The neck and head rests are slide adjustable so they can be set at different distances
    [​IMG]
    I basically wanted a chair that looks more like an ejection seat than an office chair. And I managed to achieve that with only $30 in materials and 2 days of work.

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

thats very cool, it does have a "miltary surplus" look about it :)

Clearly the cable tidies need to be painted yellow/black to match the pull here to eject lines in jetfighters :D

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Nice job, but how comfy is it?

I want to make a chair out of dozens of those sample pieces of visco-elastic memory foam you get from matress companies.

4. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

It's VERY comfortable because I can place any of the cushions where I want them. I made the head rest very plush and the rest of the cushions are padded with foam that's 2 or 3 inches thick.
    The way the lower backrest is mounted, it curves as I lean backward on it. The neck rest and head rest have a little bit of suspension thanks to the spring-mounted spine.

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Nice job :thumb:
    Quite like the look of the metal rods.

6. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

it looks pretty cool, but personally i would have made the pads wider. thats just me though. good job!