1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Swiftech blocks = GARBAGE!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by toyomatt84, 27 Oct 2004.

1. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Well I just read this entire thread and figured I'd throw my two cents in. ToyoMatt84, I don't remember seeing the model numbers of the blocks that you used?? I think the intelligent thing to do here is figure out exactly what caused the leak, and I know you stated before where you saw it leak from but that doesn't really help. In order to determine whether or not the blocks were defective you should have someone with experience with Swifty blocks take a look at them, or atleast take some good photos of the blocks with close-ups around the fittings. Or you could call Swiftech and ask for Bill, he is the resident expert on water cooling over there, and will probably be able to point you in the right direction as far as determining whether or not the blocks were indeed faulty. He also hangs out on the procooling forums, so you might be able to catch him there, but whatever you do don't post a thread with a title like this over there, unless you really want to see some negative responses.

Please realize that I'm not saying your problem was caused by user error or by a manufacturer defect. In reality, there is no way to know one way or the other without actually seeing the block.

Also, someone else is this thread made a comment that hose clamps are always required. This is not true.... The Swiftech blocks with the compression fittings cannot use clamps, the fitting is inside of the block itself, so unless your going to put the clamp around metal, it's not going to do anything for you.

Both my current rig and the one I'm in the process of building will be cooled with Swiftech blocks. The blocks I'm using now have been running 24/7 for the past year with no problems whatsoever, although when I first assembled the watercooling system I did have some leaks around the fittings while leaktesting, but these were easily fixed by pushing the hose in just a little bit further.

Bill

2. bozo

bozo What's a Dremel?

finally, someone who thinks logically. well done bill for the post. hope it will point toyo in the right direction on his path to flawless watercooling and his conquest of life itself to do as many things as possible....... :D

3. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

4. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Here's the blocks I purchased:
    CPU block
    GPU block
    Chipset block
    HDD block

If you need more info. give me a ring.

What's the deal, bud? Are you upset at me or just happy Bill posted? I'm confused on your posts' emotions.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nope... still have to overclock that FSB (Friendly Social Behaviour) just a teensy-weensy bit further. Not quite hitting the Maturity benchmark yet. Oh, and slap some extra cooling on it. ;)

Good start, but still some artefacts towards the end...

wmandra's advice is sound. Ask Bill on Procooling.com. His username there is "Unregistered". :D He is a bit abrupt in his demeanour (as his signature says: "Beware, he's grumpy") but basically he is a helpful and sound guy and his watercooling knowledge is second to none. :thumb:

One more suggestion. With pushfits (and with those ridgeless barbs, I suspect) the exact size of the tubing is crucial. There is, like, no room for tollerance. Although I'd expect Tygon to be quality stuff can you find a way to measure the tubing ID and OD exactly, like down to 0.1 mm? Even the smallest deviation (due to fabrication tollerances) can ruin the seal.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2004
  6. Tos

Tos What's a Dremel?

I would rather suggest this kind of fittings instead ( called "innovalike" )

[​IMG]

From my experience, they are the best compromise in terms of looks, reliability, ease of use/installing.

also, pushfits require special tubing, namely semi-rigid tubing ( Tygon = silicon based, way too soft for that kind of fittings usually)

finaly, I have to say that I don't much like swiftec stuff, but that's for personal reasons - and I owned one of their oldass waterblocks, the
    462W "whatever", prolly the worst performer I ever had :/

there are a few other brands that make nice stuff, with lower price tag imho :D

7. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

ok, now that I actually know what blocks we are talking about. I'm curious about the CPU block leaking.... Where exectly did the CPU block leak from??? If it was around where the hose attaches to the block, I could understand since the fittings are not barbed, but the right size hose and a good clamp should have taken care of that. As far as the GPU and NB blocks, I can also see them potentially leaking around the fittings if the hoses aren't pushed in far enough, of course since there is no way to use hose clamps on these blocks the only fix would be to push them in further.

Of course, without seeing the actual blocks that leaked, it is impossible to prove anything one way or another. Could you post some close up pictures of the fittings????

Other than that, I'm also curious as to why you were watercooling so much in a single loop?? The HDD block is completely unneccessary, as you wont get any increased performance by watercooling it. The NB cooler could also have probably been cooled with a passive heatsink relatively effectively. Which only leaves the GPU and CPU, which is a little more reasonable. With all of the heat you were putting into the loop you probably wouldn't have been happy with the temps even if it didn't leak.

A couple of reccommendations I can give to you.... Next time order your parts directly from Swiftech. With Swiftech blocks, use their hose. Leak test, leak test, leak test. Don't try to w/c so much stuff in a single loop.

Again, I'm not here to say you messed up, or it's your fault, or anything like that. I'm just trying to help you out.

Bill

8. toyomatt84

I'm quite impressed with the last few posts. So much kinder than the first three pages worth.

Thanks, guys, but the system has gone way of the ship, it's all gone to Canada, to a buddy's place. He can mod the system to his desire, because he bought it. As for those fittings, I only wish that they come with systems from now on, but well that's not gonna happen for a while, yet. :D

Anyways, I can see the forum moderator is lazy, or something, cause he never answers a PM or email. It's been 4 days, and no response. Kind of weird, but oh well.

9. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

College qualifications dont mean **** when you aren't smart enough to select the proper tubing in a water cooling system. You say you've taken AP Physics huh? So have I, along with Chemistry and Calculus. Oh wait, that was at a real college, my bad. (I can send test scores too.. Wahoo?) A thermal dynamics class would be helpful for you.

As for me getting out my dictionary: What? I still dont see where you get off attempting to insult my spelling/grammar/word choice, especially considering some of the other posts in this thread that warrant it much more than I do. Oh yeah, and I took those classes at college too. Not only that, but I took them and had them completed two years before any of my peers did. I started college early, but does that make me any more special than you and your AP Physics class? Hardly. Does that make any difference to the discussion in this thread? It sure doesn't. Maybe I'll send you a copy of my persuasive synthesis paper on nuclear fission for proof, because that makes me so much more qualified on watercooling systems.

X800 Resistors: Congrats, you can solder. In case you're wondering, I learned Ohm's law in highschool about 3 years ago, and again recently in Physics, and one more time in Chemsitry. All of which presenting a different viewpoint in which to enrich my understanding of the law.

As for this thread: Cant see why you're so upset, and now screaming about how important your AP Physics class was to the failure of this watercooling project. Perhaps a more detailed study of proper tubing would have yielded better results in the end.

EDIT: With this post I will officially bury the hatchet, as it were, with you. Hopefully some of my scathing and rude (Which I am ashamed of) posts have let a led a little insight to you and the others who have posted and read this thread.

Sorry for your loss, and hopefully it will prove to be a learning experience that will allow to make better equiptment choices in the future.

10. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

TAKE A CHILL PILL!!!

I thought this thread had finally simmered down, alas no. Please cut the flame war, I can understand that some disgruntled posts are inevitable with such an angry title. Trashing a company's name just because something went wrong with your water cooling system is a bit harsh as I haven't seen any other situations similar to this, but still this is no cause to flame him into oblivion.

I am a n00b to water cooling and as such I don't have much say here, but I do have this to say. People wanted pictures, and eventually you provided links to what the exact items were. This cleared up some of the confusion but you still have yet to provide close up pictures of the fittings and such. And by coincidence you no longer have the system at hand. But I live by the way my legal system was set up. INNOCENT UNLESS PROVEN GUILTY. That goes for either party in my mind, so please stop the flaming and lets continue to try to solve this sensibly.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2004
  11. toyomatt84

Reason why I got upset: People jumped all on one side to say it was my fault, when they really have no idea. (And they seemed so sure, as if it were a fact.) I don't know about you, but getting blamed for something I didn't do, is quite aggrevating.

Maybe, instead of jumping down my throat at first chance, it would have been a ton nicer to start with the questions. That way, nobody comes off like an ass.

As for how things are, I'm fine with how things are. I'm getting a ton more stuff on Black Friday anyway. All my parts are ok, now, and everything runs like it should with standard cooling. I'm awaiting Peltier arrival, and that should help make things work nicely.

As for the Chill Pill: Don't need one... and never did. I responded like any human would. I took offense to those putting blame solely on me, and therefore reacted accordingly. No Chill necessary.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think the Chill Pill Comment was also aimed at others...

Perhaps you could have buried the hatchet just one post earlier, instead of waiting for the fight to settle down, then waving it about demonstratively to agitate things once more, to then bury it. :rolleyes: Even your admission of shame is preceded by a sarcastic rant. I'm getting some mixed signals here. In any case, I don't see how this fight has lead to any useful insights. :blah:

Can we let this thread die in peace now? Please?

13. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Hello toyomatt84...I know you don't have the kit anymore but you've got me curious

(And sorry if it was already mentioned in this thread, there was too much junk for me to filter out) Firstly did you leak test the setup without the components in the case first? Usually in practice its good to do this to spot potential problems. And 2.. you mentioned you were using these 2 blocks:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-blc-86.html
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-blc-11.html

And my understanding is that you cannot use the same hose with these 2 blocks (please correct me if i'm wrong). You would need this adaptor:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-tub-08.html

Did you use these? If not then you might of had the wrong hose size on the blocks. And this could of been why it was leaking, although I can't say for sure.

You mentioned this was your first h2o setup so I'm just trying to lend a hand for a first timer. In the future it might be wise to not start a thread by flaming, as you will get the typical childish responses as the ones at the beginning of this thread.

In any case...keep on moddin' :dremel:

14. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

this entire thread is nothing but people bashing people. i myself have been questioning whether to "get my feet wet", but im afraid that along with my feet, i'll be getting my cpu, mobo, and gfx card wet as well. i think that all matt was trying to do was to let us know that he had problems with a certain block manufacturer but was, for good reason, frusterated at the time. then he got attacked from everywhere. ive always loved bit-tech's friendly community, everyone interested in helping everyone else. possibly if suggestions were made in a happy tone, or some contructive critasism were given, then matt could have even gotten this setup to work correctly with a few simple fixes. although i must say, if i had lost key hardware to a certain setup, i doubt i would be eager to try it again...any hardware salvagable from all this? oh well, continue the quest for the wicked looking PC and good performer. :p :thumb:

15. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Nexxo was correct, the chill pill comment was predominantly aimed at LordFear, I was glad to see the thread pretty well simmer down and everyone seemed to be actually working towards determining the problem. But somebody had to have the final blow :rolleyes: , and this what you could call the straw that broke the camels back. Now let this thread RIP, and if there are any more posts I shall hope that they are all less agressive (which it looks like is going to happen... hopefully).

16. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

to the 3rd person up, he stated he leak tested for 48 hours...it was 48 or 72, i cant remember.

17. toyomatt84

scopEDog: Yes, I used the hose size converter. All stems/barbs/quick-fit connections were designed to use 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD piping. Yes, I did leaktest, for 3 days straight. (As stated by deadly-app). If you would have read some of the stuff, your questions would have been answered.

Zephyr: Exactly, it was a bash-fest. But, I did salvage my hardware due to some good soldering skills.

Sea Shadow: Yup, this thread has simmered, but only once people opened up to the problem at hand, instead of assuming they knew what was wrong.

NOW, as to those thinking it be wise to post your views on this thread.... DON'T. Let it Die, and rest amongst the other threads long since viewed. It needs a death, because it got nowhere. In fact, if I were to say anything, it would be it backtracked my process even more than not posting it. (If that makes sense)

18. frag_daddy_2007

frag_daddy_2007 What's a Dremel?

dude try this stuff its non conductive so even if it does leak, you can fix it with no electrical damage done, thats what i am going to use when i wc my p4 pc

19. toyomatt84

Didn't read did you? Look at the post you just preceded.

20. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Looks like a compression fitting? Also, Tygon and ClearFlex are PVC, silicone would be way less resilient.